Rams vs Luton Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

In our position, especially with our shortage of goals we cannot be scoring 2 at home & not ending with all 3 points, 2 huge points dropped.

I was watching the warm ups before the game & actually texted my mates to say Allsop was looking poor, number of soft goals he let in from Roos shots & his kicking was awful too, was not in the slightest surprised to see him cost us a goal tonight, very disappointed still.

Roos didnt really do much wrong up until his red card & lost his place, Allsop has kept 3 clean sheets in a row but has now dropped a clanger so surely/hopefully back to Roos in goal vs Cov

Well I have just got home and feel a bit deflated. We should have won. Their two goals were preventable, I knew as soon as allsop came out for the ball he had a wrong decision. Never mind at least we got a point. 

we struggled with their height today, they had some big strong lads. Our we never gave up, they were a credit to the club. 
If we keep on fighting we will win a few. The distance between us a safety is closing.

crowd were excellent, keep the faith we are staying up

Frustrated, definitely, but got to remind ourselves that we’ve got another point deduction round the corner. The EFL aren’t going to allow us to compete to stay up. They want us down. 

Enjoy the game for what it is, especially the two goals we scored. Don’t focus on anything else. It’s good for the soul. 

As good as some of our play was and as much as we deserved a point and maybe all three…..we looked a very tired bunch of players out there tonight.

While we are taking points and scraping out draws we are surviving on spirit adrenalin and incredible desire. I fear for when we hit a loss or two and the past two months catch up on us…..

25 minutes ago, LazloW said:

while I wouldn’t say Ravel played poorly, there were several occasions where he took all momentum out of breakaways

It has happened numerous times over several games. He receives the ball in a counter attack. Rather than try the difficult ball to the runner he decides possession is key, and passes backwards.  The counter attack is part of our threat and Ravel does not seem to know how it goes 

We've got one of the best defensive records in the division at the moment, but a majority of those have been very poor goals to concede. Out of the 10, 2 each against Peterborough, B'ham and Luton, together with the goals against Stoke and Sheff utd, have been entirely preventable. In fact, I'm struggling to think of one decently created goal against us this season.

45 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Frustrated, definitely, but got to remind ourselves that we’ve got another point deduction round the corner. The EFL aren’t going to allow us to compete to stay up. They want us down. 

Enjoy the game for what it is, especially the two goals we scored. Don’t focus on anything else. It’s good for the soul. 

You're right. The EFL are determined to see us go down, the refs are blatantly cheating against us, its almost farcical now, the fat little twit tonight almost looked embarrassed at his own decisions.

I agree, its good for the soul to just get behind the team and sing our hearts out every match.

12 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

You're right. The EFL are determined to see us go down, the refs are blatantly cheating against us, its almost farcical now, the fat little twit tonight almost looked embarrassed at his own decisions.

I agree, its good for the soul to just get behind the team and sing our hearts out every match.

We're a limited, motley crew, who will make mistakes, struggle at times but ultimately end up mid table before deductions.

I'm sure we could all single out players, and wish they'd improve 10%, but I don't think a single one of them could give another 10% effort, so that will do for me.

It probably won't be enough once the EFL have done with us, sadly, but we'll go down swinging if nothing else.

It feels a bit like a defeat tonight, but on reflection we scored two, which is progress of sorts.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

In our position, especially with our shortage of goals we cannot be scoring 2 at home & not ending with all 3 points, 2 huge points dropped.

I was watching the warm ups before the game & actually texted my mates to say Allsop was looking poor, number of soft goals he let in from Roos shots & his kicking was awful too, was not in the slightest surprised to see him cost us a goal tonight, very disappointed still.

Roos didnt really do much wrong up until his red card & lost his place, Allsop has kept 3 clean sheets in a row but has now dropped a clanger so surely/hopefully back to Roos in goal vs Cov

LOL, of course you did. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Before tonight we had the joint best defence in the division. I'd say on the whole the defence is the least of our worries.

It’s the manner in which are conceding goals is the problem not the amount especially when we are not freely scoring. Yes we currently have a good defensive record but that can be very quickly undermined by conceding poor goals on a regular basis as it can zap the confidence of all the players.

Part of me wishes we were terrible and a long way from the rest of the division. It would make our situation easier to take.

Instead, I think the pride felt by many and the twice-weekly searching for crumbs of comfort will soon be replaced by genuine frustration.

Let’s be honest, if there was a year where a team could stay up even after having points deducted, I think this is the year.

This division is really poor and you look at Peterborough, Hull, Barnsley, Preston and Blackpool amongst others and can’t help but think there is more than a sliver of hope for us.

I think that’s what makes tonight feel worse. We have squandered points against genuinely beatable opposition, and not for the first time either this season.

Rooney, Rosenior and the coaching team deserve some credit, of course. They have done some good work. We are competitive, we are spirited, we are hard to beat. But how do we progress beyond that point?

For the season ahead, I felt we needed an experienced manager and even though Rooney has done a creditable job, I still harbour those feelings.

I do feel there are times where we fall into familiar traps that an experienced manager would more readily prevent. 

We concede poor goals, we waste a limited number of good chances, we rarely turn games, we squander points. Those are likely to be running themes throughout the season.

There’s no doubt that Rooney and the staff are showing heart and endeavour, but where is the little bit of know how, the little bit of ingenuity that can really impact a game? 

Maybe acceptance that this season will be a gallant effort and little more is the best medicine, but at the moment, every draw feels like a defeat.

I really do think we’ll be kicking ourselves come the end of the season at the number of missed opportunities and how close we could have actually come to pulling off the escape of all escapes.

3 hours ago, Yani P said:

That is a tad harsh thought Lawrence was superb tonight...all over the park he scored set up the 2nd and was involved all game..best player on the pitch for me..

Yes Lawrence was good I’m not disputing that but with Tom if he just lifted his head up sometimes and played an easier ball or doesn’t shoot from miles out when they’re better options he’d be fantastic 

I watched the game tonight and i had mixed thoughts. I think going forward we still don't create enough. Our first goal came from good pressing in the final 1/3rd and our second goal from a very tight angle but little came in the way of our own creativity on the ball unlocking defences. I do feel this is our biggest weakness, it's not like there have been many games this season that we've created a ton of chances. Even if we did have a great striker I'm not sure we'd be scoring much more than we are. 

Morrison made the wrong decision a few times tonight, he slowed the game down and missed chances to put the ball into space. I think tonight did show the potential issues we could have if teams do decide to press us and keep men up the field rather than sitting back and letting us play out. Defensively, we didn't look overly comfortable with the pace, movement or whipped balls they got in all night. Now this isn't surprising since Luton are i think the 3rd highest goalscorers in the league so you'd expect them to have quality up top and to cause us problems. 

On the plus side I thought knight and Lawrence worked very well together each getting a goal and an assist a piece. If it was me I'd keep lawrence as a false 9 than stick Baldock or Stretton up there. Shinnie and Bird worked hard and relatively well together even if at times they looked unsettled.

I don't usually like to stick the knife in when a player makes an error because mistakes happen and we all make them. 

However.... Allsop....that was a very poor error to make. I think its worth dropping him over and getting him to work on that. You cannot be doing that in a game.

I know when you drop someone after a mistake, especially a keeper, you can hurt their confidence, but if we can't drop him when he plays well and we can't drop him after an error, when can we drop him? No, seriously, when can we drop him? Roos is clearly the better keeper. If you can't make that change after that egregious clanger, when can you make the change?

Sorry Ryan. I don't mean to be mean but there it is.