Derby finally accept 21 point deduction.

taggy180

Brentford signed Benrahma and Watkins for about 2million each in 2017 and 2018. When they amortised these players on a straight line basis, their values in 2020 when they both sold them to PL league clubs would have been about the 1million mark on their BS after they both had an excellent 19/20 season in the championship. 

They both moved to the PL in the summer of 2020 for 30million plus, surely with the EFL's outdated amortisation method they would have been worth much more than 1million on their BS the end of that season?

Is that something akin to resembling the amortisation method we used and interpreted FR102 on our accounts?

I know it’s just me and no right thinking person on this site will agree but:-

From now to the end of the season I will consider every point won as vindication of the team I support even if it turns out to be nuisance value by stopping the opposition from picking up points from us. AND one in the eye for the EFL and all who sail in her. COYR!

26 minutes ago, Dinnitdough said:

Thank you for the early christmas present Mel. 
I prefer coal, but a points deduction will have to suffice. 
Bleeding grinch…

Can we all just once and for all collectively declare our contempt for Mel and move on unless there is an actual development or something to discuss? It's getting a bit boring now. 

Edited by Tamworthram

3 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

Brentford signed Benrahma and Watkins for about 2million each in 2017 and 2018. When they amortised these players on a straight line basis, their values in 2020 when they both sold them to PL league clubs would have been about the 1million mark on their BS after they both had an excellent 19/20 season in the championship. 

They both moved to the PL in the summer of 2020 for 30million plus, surely with the EFL's outdated amortisation method they would have been worth much more than 1million on their BS the end of that season?

Is that something akin to resembling the amortisation method we used and interpreted FR102 on our accounts?

I've written before that I have a neighbour who was a partner in Ernst and Young. He is extremely scathing about straight line amortisation as being "accurate" in all situations. 

He described several factors on which he thought a non straight line basis was a "better" method. Age of player, gaining international caps, having a good season etcetera 

So the EFL, in insisting amortisation has to be straight line are simply setting an arbitrary rule. 

Which they are entitled to do. But stop the pretence that you have written down the rule based upon some theoretical purity. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've written before that I have a neighbour who was a partner in Ernst and Young. He is extremely scathing about straight line amortisation as being "accurate" in all situations. 

He described several factors on which he thought a non straight line basis was a "better" method. Age of player, gaining international caps, having a good season etcetera 

So the EFL, in insisting amortisation has to be straight line are simply setting an arbitrary rule. 

Which they are entitled to do. But stop the pretence that you have written down the rule based upon some theoretical purity. 

Actually I don't think EFL are entitled to insist on straight line amortisation. There is nothing in their rules that allows then to do that.

But really i wouldnt give a figgy which method the EFL insisted on. If they had insisted on straight line in 2016 then fair enough. But then letting us adopt something else and then charging us four years later for using a different one, and then penalising us again for overspending as a result, well that is just ridiculous in my view.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yeah we are doomed for relegation because of Professor Pope's academic theory on FRS102. It's nearly as bad as the guy that compared PP's valuation to Macclesfield's stadium. I wonder where the EFL get them?

45 minutes ago, JPRamFan said:

Yeah we are doomed for relegation because of Professor Pope's academic theory on FRS102. It's nearly as bad as the guy that compared PP's valuation to Macclesfield's stadium. I wonder where the EFL get them?

Somehow the second tribunal found that our method of amortization fell outside FS102. From nearly every other post I cannot see how that can be true or how it was not an easy job to go to the institute of accountants or whoever controls the FS roles and get a ruling from them that our way was within FS 102 and using that to wave under the nodes of the EFL. Wish somebody would tell us why

4 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Somehow the second tribunal found that our method of amortization fell outside FS102. From nearly every other post I cannot see how that can be true or how it was not an easy job to go to the institute of accountants or whoever controls the FS roles and get a ruling from them that our way was within FS 102 and using that to wave under the nodes of the EFL. Wish somebody would tell us why

Because the second tribunal was not allowed to consider new evidence - although I’m sure we said in the first one that the amortisation approach had been cleared by auditors.

The appeal panel chose to accept the views of Professor Pope whose evidence had been dismissed for several reasons (lack of practical accounting experience, lack of knowledge about the football industry, lack of understanding of the role of an expert witness (to provide informed balanced insight, not present one side’s argument). We should have fielded our own witness, but it was frankly scandalous that Pope’s evidence was re-introduced given the ruling on it before.  

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Can we all just once and for all collectively declare our contempt for Mel and move on unless there is an actual development or something to discuss? It's getting a bit boring now. 

Genuine question @Pearl Ram, why the angry face? Would you rather we kept on about it? At the very least let's keep it to the Mel Morris fan club thread. 

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Still a bit too soon but, given the current league table, thoughts might turn to who we would prefer to take down with us. For me, perm any 2 from Barnsley, Peterborough and Cardiff.

Do you mean who we'd like to go down with us, or who you think will go down with us? 

Either way, maybe worth you starting a new thread as it'sa good question? 

2 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

Could professor pope be sued by the new Derby county owner for placing the club in jeopardy with a theory that could fairly easily be beaten?

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

Do you mean who we'd like to go down with us, or who you think will go down with us? 

Either way, maybe worth you starting a new thread as it'sa good question? 

Have we had a who thinks we are staying up poll yet?

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Genuine question @Pearl Ram, why the angry face? Would you rather we kept on about it? At the very least let's keep it to the Mel Morris fan club thread. 

I rarely use the angry emoji, in fact, I just checked how often I have used it and it turns out I’ve used it four times since they were introduced. I can’t confirm when that was, suffice to say, it was a fair while ago.

I used it in this instance because I objected to your post telling people what they should post and when. It might be boring to you but as new information comes to light, and today, the BBC were running an article about us owing 29 million quid (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59358676) people should be free to make reference to this news and the person responsible for allowing it to occur.

Secondly, and you were the unfortunate to be on the receiving end of my mood at that moment, I had been sickened by the “David, can you tell me how to donate, I want to donate a hundred quid/David I’d like to know if the direct debit I’ve set up is enough? kind of posts I’d read just prior to reading your post. 

Ive donated to the running costs of the forum in the past, even bought a dcfcfans tee shirt with the most ridiculous rams head logo I’ve ever seen because I thought it might be supporting the forum, but I never made an issue over either, that was between me and the proprietor of the forum.

So, while I stand by the reaction I gave your post, another day I might have just rolled my eyes and thought “who does he think he is telling people what and when to post” I do concede what I’d read just prior to reading your post probably influenced my thinking.