Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Question to everyone....

Imagine the scenario, two years time, clear at the top of the championship, on course for back to back promotions.

Wayne Rooney, manager, approaches the board during the January transfer window:

"The lads are doing well but tiring. We need one more player just to get us over the line. I have one lined up."

The board refuses: "We're top of the league. To buy a new player would take us over budget, albeit by only £100k, but we set a limit".

Derby miss out on promotion on goal difference due to player fatigue.

How do you feel about the board?

But Mel has never been in that scenario throughout his whole tenure at the club. Are you defending the signings made and the ludicrous contracts handed out since he has been here? 

Edited by Archie

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Question to everyone....

Imagine the scenario, two years time, clear at the top of the championship, on course for back to back promotions.

"The lads are doing well but tiring. We need one more player just to get us over the line. I have one lined up."

The board refuses: "We're top of the league. To buy a new player would take us over budget, albeit by only £100k, but we set a limit".

It would depend on whether they'd done the right thing and reverted the shorts to navy blue or not.

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Football finance model is broken...Mel talking about his challenge about fair deal for rights..top champ game nets 1/20th the money than lowest prem game..

I was sad to hear this, @Yani P. Mel was talking about income from televised matches. For Championship sides to only be getting 1/20th of the money given to the lowest prem teams per match is disproportional and really sucks.

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

So the administrators do a CVA with cocu and HMRC, slash the wages and sell players in Jan where it makes sense.  Still a going concern it’s just that we might end up in league 2 

I would settle for league 2, rather than just read about Derby County in the history books.

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I wonder if the final trigger for admin wasn't the EFL's threat on Tuesday to simply keep us under embargo in perpetuity, meaning Mel would never be able to sell the club. That was what I read into the end of their statement and I suspect Mel did too.

"There are no timescales for this matter to be concluded and the League will not be providing any further comment at this time."

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/september/efl-statement-Derby-county/

We could have submitted the accounts and took the points charge that will still be due? Or will we be let off the P&S failures without Mel?!

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

So the administrators do a CVA with cocu and HMRC, slash the wages and sell players in Jan where it makes sense.  Still a going concern it’s just that we might end up in league 2 

I wouldn't begin to know how it could be settled as these things are a quagmire... that's now the job of the administrator, who once appointed will have 8 weeks to put a plan together. The things you mention could all be on the table, the problem is they might not be.. Cocu et al could say no we want paying asap, HMRC might not agree and your other creditors could also play hardball. I'm a very glass half full kind of bloke and I hope this can be sorted for you guys - but its a very very precarious position to be in... It's like dominoes and all it takes is a few not to fall and you're screwed...  

It’s a post mortem .. I am not really interested and the past 

what happens next is the most critical thing

I seems reasonably certain on the basis of this that we will get -4 for the FFP and -12 for the admin (if it happens) so -16 If I understood it all 

After that it rather depends what other suspended or yet to be found “crimes” that the EFL want to stick on us and if they will come all at once or we get hit again next season. 

None of this matters at all unless administrators keep us running and new owners step in. Until then it’s all fog and speculation 

Just another thing I picked up on.

MM said the 17/18 accounts show an FFP overspend of £4m and therefore a 4 point deduction. 

Why not just submit them accounts and take that point deduction now.

If they want to also charge us for later years let them go ahead and go through due process again.

This time we would know to have an accountant/auditor as an expert witness.

i have a lot of opinions really, some things I agreed with him on (covid and the context of Derby at that moment in time against other clubs) and other things I didn’t.

The Lampard situation is interesting and is maybe the pivotal time to what we see now, also a little bit with Cocu. I’ll elaborate more in another post I think but , but I think with Lampard he gets his eyes fluttered and we end up with £60mill worth of talent on loan that’s irreplaceable. And £20 mill spent players who are worth nowhere near that.  Cocu is Mels dream appointment in terms of what but has to spend any profit he made of Lampard and then some just to make sure we are somewhere near replacing that £60 mill worth a talent. It becomes clear that Cocu is the right man, but at the wrong time. Then the EFL charges hit, then covid hits, he gambled away any sort of money we had as a back up and then it’s largely been kicking the can down the road until now. 

He talks about the good PR with Rooney and Lampard and that we haven’t lost money through those investments which I get but, how much did these two generate in revenue based on their names. How much in sponsorship? T shirt sales, merch etc etc. I’m not saying it would have saved the club at this point, but are having Lampard and Rooney associated with the club worth it unless their names are making you a decent revenue stream in return? (That’s not a slight on Rooney or Lampard as a manager btw).

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

18 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Numbers 1, 3 and 4 werent discussed. Number 2 i think he said they were discussing why one mistake should punish us multiple times.  So I guess his argument is accounts still compliant with standards just not your silly rules but we will reluctantly restate, and now breach but only breach because of your silly restatement so should be punished once not for multiple profit cycles or something.   
i think the interview was ok for the time available (no silly breaks) but so many questions he could never have covered in an hour. Ed Dawes was much better than expected

Yes I was impressed with Ed Dawes.

Theres one point Mel made about us and how we can influence this position which hasn't been mentioned here, the fans.

We need to continue with the great support from yesterday, fully back the team win or lose, turn up in our numbers and make loads of noise, make the club feel welcoming, we need to continue this so potential owners see the potential in us.

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Question to everyone....

I've heard this line of defense before so not having a pop at you in my reply....as the steward and custodian of our football club I'd have expected at least a plan B to have been formulated if the reckless spending didn't bear the fruits it was meant to.

The only plan B I can see is lets put the club in administration. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s a post mortem .. I am not really interested and the past 

what happens next is the most critical thing

I seems reasonably certain on the basis of this that we will get -4 for the FFP and -12 for the admin (if it happens) so -16 If I understood it all 

After that it rather depends what other suspended or yet to be found “crimes” that the EFL want to stick on us and if they will come all at once or we get hit again next season. 

None of this matters at all unless administrators keep us running and new owners step in. Until then it’s all fog and speculation 

Hold on to your hat... so the number's that are being touted are 12 for administration, 12 instead of 9 for the late submission of accounts (which Mel admitted in the interview), 12 for 1st year FFP breach then a further 9×2 for two further years. There could also be 3 pts (suspended) for not paying players and, this is a new one because of administration but I believe there's 15 pts if you can't settle 25% of creditors immediately - I make that around 72 points... 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

Are they still allowed to leave on 83 mins? Asking for a friend. Joking aside it was great seeing pretty much everyone staying to the end yesterday and beyond.

Just now, Icomeinpeace said:

Hold on to your hat... so the number's that are being touted are 12 for administration, 12 instead of 9 for the late submission of accounts (which Mel admitted in the interview), 12 for 1st year FFP breach then a further 9×2 for two further years. There could also be 3 pts (suspended) for not paying players and, this is a new one because of administration but I believe there's 15 pts if you can't settle 25% of creditors immediately - I make that around 72 points... 

Isnt there a maximum that can be deducted or are we about to set a new champ record for that too

7 minutes ago, Icomeinpeace said:

I wouldn't begin to know how it could be settled as these things are a quagmire... that's now the job of the administrator, who once appointed will have 8 weeks to put a plan together. The things you mention could all be on the table, the problem is they might not be.. Cocu et al could say no we want paying asap, HMRC might not agree and your other creditors could also play hardball. I'm a very glass half full kind of bloke and I hope this can be sorted for you guys - but its a very very precarious position to be in... It's like dominoes and all it takes is a few not to fall and you're screwed...  

I think we as Derby fans all realise that relegation is 99.9% certain. 

To me, that helps put an end to another dilemma. I love going to the Brian Clough/East Midlands Derby. I always prefer Derby and Forest to be in the same division. However, I also quite enjoy watching Forest in a relegation battle. In most years I generally want them to stay up - albeit only just. This season I don't have to feel dirty watching Forest in April and hoping they win. 

In the nicest possible way - I really hope Forest maintain their current form and finish below us - especially if we have a 21 point penalty.

Edited by CornwallRam