Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Did the interview get into the details of WHY administration could bring buyers to the table - how much of the debt is estimated to be written off (and who owns that debt)? 

He said there were lots interested but i get impression he said they seemed to just be waiting for lower price (rather than efl to be sorted). Said one who came back this week was someone who had expressed interest and gone. 

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much has he actually lost?

He said that he had put £200 million in and didn't expect to be getting anything back.

You sound as though you want blood though. Do you want him to have lost money? Would that somehow appease you?

This isn't necessarily assumed at you but a lot of folks who criticised Mel for chasing the dream, and overspending, would equally complain about owners who didn't financially back their manager's transfer demands.

Who'd be a football club owner? I cannot see how they can win.

(Cue debate on egos)

Just now, Yani P said:

Lost/invested are very different things..and although pushed he didn't clarify did he? All he said was he wouldn't make money on the deal..

He didnt but I think in the position we are in his actions will speak louder than words. If he doesnt get anything back and throws the stadium back to get a credible buyer then great. Who knows he may gift it to a charitable trust or something which would hopefully secure us in the future? I wont judge on the stadium until (if) we know

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He said there were lots interested but i get impression he said they seemed to just be waiting for lower price (rather than efl to be sorted). Said one who came back this week was someone who had expressed interest and gone. 

I think Mel admitted he had played his hand very badly so that potential buyers knew they would get a better deal by playing a waiting game..

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Those slamming Mel should pause for a moment to think about his intentions.

I do not - for a minute - think he's intended to run the club down.

He has spent millions, not to run the club into debt, but to chase the dream. We all supported that chase.

Even though he's managed things badly, which he admits, I do believe that he genuinely thinks the only way he can get new owners in is to put the club into administration.

I'm very far from happy about that, actually been crying about it, but I think it's sincere on his part.

I’m very similar, but his communication like his judgement on backing managers in the transfer market has been poor.

Forget the last hour and look at how we arrived at where we are at, most of the time with the fans in the dark.

Ed’s question about seeking the limelight was skirted around, on the basis certain managers bought more profile; not doubting that Lampard and Rooney have commercial advantages but he never came across as genuine in his answer to that, Mel enjoyed the limelight when things were positive in my opinion but has hidden with our backs against the wall.

He may end up losing a lot of money, but running football clubs is for the most part vanity projects, very few make money out of it. It’s the ordinary workforce my sadness is for, Mel’s acknowledgement of their plight was painfully extracted in that interview. 

Bar what he did for the academy, I think his legacy is horrendous, to put us in a perilously dire state should a buyer not be found soon.

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

He didnt but I think in the position we are in his actions will speak louder than words. If he doesnt get anything back and throws the stadium back to get a credible buyer then great. Who knows he may gift it to a charitable trust or something which would hopefully secure us in the future? I wont judge on the stadium until (if) we know

Totally agree..can't judge him on something yet to pan out..

I don’t think for one minute MM had any intention of the club being in this position hence outside of gootball i wish him well but the gamble didn’t play out  well and COVID ( no one could have foreseen) just accelerated this situation.

i just think the interview was far too late after the horse bolted on Friday night

As fans we all just need to stick together regardless of which side of the fence you sit - this city needs this club and i feel for the staff who will be impacted  

Edited by Don't Panic
Cant type

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

He said that he had put £200 million in and didn't expect to be getting anything back.

You sound as though you want blood though. Do you want him to have lost money? Would that somehow appease you?

This isn't necessarily assumed at you but a lot of folks who criticised Mel for chasing the dream, and overspending, would equally complain about owners who didn't financially back their manager's transfer demands.

(Cue debate on egos)

He seemed to contradict himself to me.

Sure he said something about he would be getting back nothing like what he had put in.

Then he said he would be getting nothing back.

Also said he would do anything he could to help sell the club...well how about clearing all of the debts run up during his tenure...that would be a good start. 

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Sounds like a zero sum game.....somebody comes back and pays less = they win. 

But who's losing out? The EFL protect the "football creditors" by giving them priority. 

Perhaps it's all designed to avoid full payment to hmrc... 

Was there any discussion about what 'administration' means in practice. Any sense of a master plan other than getting rid..?  How many points he thinks will be deducted ultimately? What the resubmitted books say/mean? What's happening with Wassall/Mac? Will Rooney stay? Will we have to sell everyone? Is relegation a certainty? 

7 minutes ago, Archie said:

Don't get all upset that he's lost or invested circa 200 million - a lot of this was from his terrible, terrible mistakes and having to try to cover these through buying the stadium because he breached ffp. Hes walked away with a stadium that noone will buy if the admins want a quick, cheap sale. It's his now and doesn't sound like he will hand it back. This should be donated to the city or something similar and shouldn't be a bargaining chip in any future deal. His mistakes and his losses, not the clubs. Tragic we've lost the stadium and have racked up so much debt when we were on a strong financial footing before he bought the club. 

I dont think we have lost the stadium yet. You dont know what he will do with it. I may be naive but i think he genuinely sounded as if he would work with the administrators on that. Perhaps he sees it as his chance to make amends for where we are. I am disgusted at where we are at but lets see. 

8 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He said there were lots interested but i get impression he said they seemed to just be waiting for lower price (rather than efl to be sorted). Said one who came back this week was someone who had expressed interest and gone

I'm told it was the Spanish Waiter, The reason he's gone, He was offered a double shift at El Torros Diner in Lloret De Mar

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

(Cue debate on egos)

No I wanted the club by someone who took their responsibility for its future seriously. Not constantly gambling its existence. All the while playing the big I am to the fans.

I'm yet to be convinced how much money he has lost is all.

5 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

He has a very interesting tone - not quite but almost disinterested / disconnected. He sometimes sounds bothered but often just quite cold and calculated. He doesn't get ruffled at all but I thought the whole 'that's a great question' was patronising.

My personal view for what it's worth is he sounded deflated towards the end of the interview. A beaten man.

Despite a lack of raw emotion shown on air, I genuinely think Friday would have hurt him massively as this wouldn't have been anywhere in his plans.

I understand this will not be any comfort to any of the staff that will lose their jobs, or creditors unpaid who my thoughts are with right now as they face an extremely tough week ahead.

Tomorrow I will be opening a jobs board on the forum, if any of you have a business or hear of vacancies in the local area please post them.

Also if you know anyone that has/will be lose their job through this process, give them a heads up.

Saturday showed what an incredible fan base we have when we come together, let's help try and make the impact as minimal as possible. ?