Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

My take on that 

He is absolutely right without covid this would never had happened but Covid has happened it is here 

we look to have failed the FFP in one year by £4 million so Potential 4pt deduction so I assume that may linger on? Will that be £4 million on following years? And more 4 point deductions - who knows as the EFL seem to double count.

we were denied the £8 million loan in January by the EFL ( premiership money) to help pay tax and NI for unexplained reasons which is a shame because now the HMRC won’t be getting that money as a nation because they will be offered let’s say 20 pence in the pound in the not to distant future.

he mentioned about us not being to extend a players contact to keep him a year longer to maybe keep his value or sell him ( we know this to be Jack Marriott) he also mentioned that another championship club lost a lot of money in a similar way - my view is that it would be Reading FC and Omar Richards who left to join Bayern Munich was it on a free) 

He mentioned that since F&P has come in only Two clubs have been promoted without breaching F&P 

He mentioned that 15 calls of interest in buying the club came in over the weekend which he believes 2-3 have the means and intent to do so 

I believe he mentioned that he still owns the stadium so if he gets anything back it may come from that and his losses are in excess of £200 million of his own money 

He said he tried and failed and was sorry that we are where we are.

He wouldn’t go into depth about the EFL at this point in time 

we’ll that’s what I heard I read others may have different opinions.

11 minutes ago, Icomeinpeace said:

As a Forest fan I have no axe to grind here and as I've said I feeling genuinely appalled at what's happened to your club but can I just say that I and I suspect many external observers will find your attitude incredibly generous almost to point of disbelief. I mean of course he wanted success everyone does, but the way he's gone about it is surely unforgiveable. He has knowingly and willingly sold/mortgaged almost every bit of your club. He has recklessly played fast and loose with regulations and guidelines, not just of the EFL but of the  HMRC. These regulations aren't  new and cannot be described as anti-Derby - instead he has at every turn it seems taken decisions that would/will have dire consequences for the whole DCFC institution; the club, the players business the length and breadth of the city.... 

I think the majority of people are turning to that opinion now.

Skim reading this thread sadly there's still people on here who will think the sun shines out of Morris' posterior whatever happens and can do no wrong.

Nowt as queer as folk as they say. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

He does explain that.

I think you will find he explained why some clubs were not affected  like Derby but by no means could he explain why all other clubs were not similarly affected. I think we were holed below the waterline prior to Covid19 if I’m honest. I am glad he is keeping hold of the stadium at this stage though. If as some are suggesting, he gifts it to the club. Then it will just become a saleable asset for the administration team to dispose of if a new buyer doesn’t materialise 

I may have missed it as I was a little late switching on and had to make a cuppa halfway through, but was he asked/did he say:

- why he'd chosen Friday (just before an important match) to put us into admin?

- if the new accounts showed we'd breached FFP by £4M in 2017/18 (which he reckoned was a 4 point penalty), why hadn't he snapped the EFL's hand off and moved on asap?

- why he left the players and manager to find out aabout admin via Sky?

- what part MSD will play in admin?

I saw that someone on here claimed it was a good interview - seems to me that the really big questions weren't even asked.....

29 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Ed’s question about seeking the limelight was skirted around, on the basis certain managers bought more profile; not doubting that Lampard and Rooney have commercial advantages but he never came across as genuine in his answer to that, Mel enjoyed the limelight when things were positive in my opinion but has hidden with our backs against the wal

I truly believe both Lampard and Rooney were great appointments , for commercial reasons (and why not both are in the top echelons of UK football ) but mostly for their character,  drive and ability. Wtf is wrong recruiting on that basis . I've seen many charlatan managers down the 50 years of support and rather these guys than many of the previous incumbents or any that are currently available . 

Stick with Rooney if he sticks with us  

Edited by bucktwo

13 minutes ago, Icomeinpeace said:

Given the info Mel just implied re some of the outstanding issues, I hate to say it but liquation is really not out of the question at all. Sorry guys

Why do you and Paul Merson think this? Seems to make no sense. The entire value of the club is surely dependent on it being an EFl member and a going concern. So is the value of the stadium. 

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Seems like the accounts are all good to go but we're waiting on answers from the EFL still, but the EFL have seen the draft copies

Seems a bit of "i won't admit to any wrongdoing until mr policman agrees exactly what the sentance will be" on the dcfc side, with the EFL *probably* having a stance of "once this is finalised and submitted, we can proceed with the charges"

Remember, it is on DCFC to submit the accounts and they do not have to wait on the EFL to do that, they just want the EFL to say "OK, if these are the figures then X,Y,Z will be the result" - which the EFL are not obliged to do.

27 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sounds like a zero sum game.....somebody comes back and pays less = they win. 

But who's losing out? The EFL protect the "football creditors" by giving them priority. 

Perhaps it's all designed to avoid full payment to hmrc... 

who knows anymore!

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Currently just waffling through the failed deals

According to Radio Derby the interview was to discuss the events of the last 48 hours, the events of the last couple of years which culminated in Friday nights statement and then to talk about the club going forwards. As such the failed deals are important background as to where the club is now. He said that he decided to sell the club around June 2019 and was determined to find the best possible owner. They thought the club had been almost sold in January 2020 but because of the EFL charges the deal collapsed. In December 2020 contracts had been exchanged but the funds did not materialize and so he was left to finance the club again. Then in February 2020 Covid struck. The club revenues dried up, there could be no face to face meetings with prospective owners, no visits and this made it very difficult to sell the club.

He said that selling a club is a horrendously difficult process and he hopes that the administrators have an easier time.

I apologise for any mistakes I might have made!

17 minutes ago, deano180 said:

Dawes should be then questioning why MM never lowered his price to relieve this issue we now face months later via Admin

Yep thats what i mentioned earlier about good first question but not the second anyone listening would be shouting at the radio

11 minutes ago, Yani P said:

I thought he said that he made it clear that he just wanted the debt covered thus meaning he had zero negotiating room?

He did, this was in the first deal that fell through, from this point on he has showed his hand and all know his start point and makes negotiations more difficult to achieve a good price, I'm just confused why he hasn't reduced price to avoid admin if he is a real fan and a good owner 

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think MSD has security over the stadium. 

I believe that is right - the loan was for 80m, so Mel doesn't even own the stadium. It's perhaps worth noting that when some have a go at the EFL for them not giving Derby a loan, they didn't decide not to, Derby didn't meet the criteria laid out for the loan which others did.  

Just now, Icomeinpeace said:

I believe that is right - the loan was for 80m, so Mel doesn't even own the stadium. It's perhaps worth noting that when some have a go at the EFL for them not giving Derby a loan, they didn't decide not to, Derby didn't meet the criteria laid out for the loan which others did.  

Yeah I was pissed at the EFL, but it's just another example of Morris blaming someone else for his failings. He knew the rules and didn't play by them.

1 minute ago, Icomeinpeace said:

Source on the emboldened bit?

We didnt meet the criteria because of technical disagreements with the EFL.

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Was there any discussion about what 'administration' means in practice. Any sense of a master plan other than getting rid..?  How many points he thinks will be deducted ultimately? What the resubmitted books say/mean? What's happening with Wassall/Mac? Will Rooney stay? Will we have to sell everyone? Is relegation a certainty? 

No most of the discussion was historical comment/review - nothing really practical about the immediate future