Derby County vs Notts Forest

Tombo

Despite their terrible start, I think we have to expect a tough game on Saturday.

Of course it would be lovely to win emphatically and kickstart our season. But in recent years, Forest have always seemed up for it and able to put together a competitive performance on the day, and often against expectations.

So I think we have to be wary of the wounded beast, shall we say. We have thought we were playing Forest at a good time before and they have caught us cold.

What has surprised me is their lack of transfer activity. A good summer and they could have improved. Instead they have lost 6-7 first team regulars and to the untrained eye, incomings have been scarce. So far, they have been limited to three loan signings and a back up keeper. It’s not a surprise there is such disillusionment.

I do think Hughton is a very good manager at this level but there is an obvious disconnect between him and the fans and perhaps even the board at Forest, so you have to imagine he is on borrowed time.

Neither club is in a great position for quite different reasons. So I’d expect another cagey, scrappy, cautious affair. Another 1-1 wouldn’t surprise me at all.

But for Rooney and the boys, it is a good opportunity to make people sit up and take notice. Let’s hope we go for it. It’d be encouraging to see.

Edited by Jourdan

1 minute ago, tinman said:

only around 250 tickets available left.

until we find out tomorrow how many season ticket holders we've lost.

Mine and my mate's tickets in the SWU will be available as we can't make it. I'd imagine we will get to around a 27,000 crowd which wouldn't be bad considering that we're now around 16,000. 

As so often the case, this is a huge match for both clubs. We win and it's 8 points from the opening 5 games, despite all the issues, setting us up for a season of possible surprises. Optimism will reign going into the international break, and how we need some of that. Yet lose and 5 points from 5 games is relegation form.

For them, lose and Hughton must be gone sending them even further into disarray and cut adrift on nil points at the foot of the table. Win and they're within touching distance and potentially just 1 game away from overtaking us.

@Ghost of Cloughnailed the team on the first page. My prediction is we'll dominate the game but Sibley will have 2 goals wrongly chalked off and the Gumps will end up scraping a draw.

But it is a moment for heroes and a chance for players to write their name into Derby history. Back in front of the fans at last, and for this game. It's what you want to become a professional footballer for. I hate 12.30 kickoffs but let's hope the players are ready and the atmosphere's electric and we pummel them into next week.

26 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Despite their terrible start, I think we have to expect a tough game on Saturday.

Of course it would be lovely to win emphatically and kickstart our season. But in recent years, Forest have always seemed up for it and able to put together a competitive performance on the day, and often against expectations.

So I think we have to be wary of the wounded beast, shall we say. We have thought we were playing Forest at a good time before and they have caught us cold.

What has surprised me is their lack of transfer activity. A good summer and they could have improved. Instead they have lost 6-7 first team regulars and to the untrained eye, incomings have been scarce. So far, they have been limited to three loan signings and a back up keeper. It’s not a surprise there is such disillusionment.

I do think Hughton is a very good manager at this level but there is an obvious disconnect between him and the fans and perhaps even the board at Forest, so you have to imagine he is on borrowed time.

Neither club is in a great position for quite different reasons. So I’d expect another cagey, scrappy, cautious affair. Another 1-1 wouldn’t surprise me at all.

But for Rooney and the boys, it is a good opportunity to make people sit up and take notice. Let’s hope we go for it. It’d be encouraging to see.

I think it’s a great opportunity for us but it has 0-0 or 1-1 written all over it, maybe a scrappy 1-0 win either way. With the exception of the 3-0 defeat in the cup when we played the kids, every game since our 2-0 win in late 2017 has either been settled by the odd goal for them or it’s been a draw. Forest may have been rubbish so far but they’re not shipping lots of goals so everything would seem to suggest it will be another tight one.

Let’s hope not though and we can put in a positive performance to beat them comfortably.

1 minute ago, CollyerDCFC said:

Anyone got an update on TL on FE injuries? I'm yet to spot how long they are out for..

There was a DET article, which if you could fight through 4000 adverts and several other bits of guff journalism, said likely after international break.

Still don't understand why they get so snippy about being called notts.

They're in the borough of Rushcliffe not the city of nottingham and everyone calls notingham notts for short anyway, but it seems to really wind them up?!

Perhaps the mods should let @Red_Dawn and @eezzeetiger onto the thread to explain? Their previous owner said they were house trained and only very rarely ? on the rug these days.

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

Living in Nottm, and being surrounded by Forest supporters, they are in such a bad mood with their club. Majority want Hughton out, they’re not sure they will manage to score, even have a shot against us. Many predict a win for us.

Im less confident, purely because it’s a Derby game (in many ways). Forest have lost comprehensively the last 2 games, with Stoke fans saying they’re one of the worst teams to player there in a while. However, Stoke and Wolves are decent sides, so was always going to be tough. Can see a tightly contested draw, 0-0 or 1-1, as per the last few games. 

If we can continue playing on the front foot, and get a goal early that our play will deserve, that will be a good start. We also need to not go too defensive too early, and invite them to attack us. Interesting to see if Tom or Festy make the bench/starting 11 at a push. Not sure if change the starting team after last 2 Champ games, they’ve been decent. Maybe Buchanan for Fozzy, after he played in cup.

We should win but you’re  right anything can happen in a Derby game