Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s only 8 points if Reading lose all their remaining games. That’s not going to happen.

I think 40+ points would have given us a realistic chance. Unfortunately, to reach that we would now need 5 wins from the last 7. 

Are we really capable of that?

Yes. We don’t know what Reading are going to do. It’s too early too call, but you’ve been calling it for months so wouldn’t expect you to change now.

Clearly it’s looking difficult and we’re relying on others, I’m realistic league one is looking the most likely but it isn’t done. League one has been most likely since we had 21 points taken off us so I’m comfortable with league one. I’m happy to still believe for a few more weeks at least 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yes. We don’t know what Reading are going to do. It’s too early too call, but you’ve been calling it for months so wouldn’t expect you to change now.

Clearly it’s looking difficult and we’re relying on others, I’m realistic league one is looking the most likely but it isn’t done. League one has been most likely since we had 21 points taken off us so I’m comfortable with league one. I’m happy to still believe for a few more weeks at least 

Is everyone forgetting that in the 19/20 season, Barnsley were 5 points from safety with 2 games to go and they stayed up. We're 8 points from safety with 7 games to go. Come on guys it isn't over.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was calling it at -12 points at the beginning of the season. I think Rooney has overachieved with the quality at his disposal, so he deserves great credit on the footballing side and of course enormous respect with the way he has handled the off-field issues.

I really hope he can stick around and guide us back to the Championship should the club survive. 

I tend to look at things from a numerical and statistical point of view. I originally thought 40-42 points could be enough for survival. Reading’s horror form brought belief that even 35 could be enough, but the return of Joao and sacking their manager has ultimately changed their fortunes. They’re no longer playing like a bottom three side which has come at the worst time for us.

I earmarked Hull as our best chance earlier this season of dragging another team into it but they also had an extended purple patch which saw them climb away from safety.

Seems to me Reading should never have been down there but for a combination of a points deduction, injuries to key players and a bizarre managerial situation. In players like Swift, Joao, Rinomhota, Ejaria and Meite they have the core of a side who should be top half.

28 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Today was a big opportunity missed. You have to give credit to Reading for picking up points when the pressure is on. Four massive points in the space of five days.

Despite that, we can’t give up now. Yes, the task has become that much harder because Reading are almost out of sight. If the gap gets any wider, then yes it’s over.

But as it is, we have to keep plugging away and doing what we can and see where it takes us. We don’t want to resign ourselves to League 1 now and then wonder what if.

Win v Preston and Barnsley beat Reading and there is still hope. But if Reading win and then get a good result in their game hand v Stoke, then indeed it might start to look a bridge too far.

I expect the players to keep trying their hardest.  But personally I’m resigned to relegation, nothing I can do will alter any possible outcome.

let’s hope for a something against the odds happening.

2 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

duck Mel  he is 100000000% to blame 

I'm no fan of MM but I struggle to see how people apportion 100% of the blame to him.

In terms of our points haul, I have him at 12/21ths to blame, with the EFL at 9/21ths, based on the fact that these points were deducted on rules which were retrospectively invented.

Factor in the other things, such as transfer embargoes and inability to extend contracts and then I think the pendulum of blame firmly swings the way of the EFL.

The fact they have changed the P&S rules mid season to help teams out goes to highlight the fact that they have been hellbent on relegating us.

Whether their ultimate intention was to drive us out of business only they will know.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm no fan of MM but I struggle to see how people apportion 100% of the blame to him.

In terms of our points haul, I have him at 12/21ths to blame, with the EFL at 9/21ths, based on the fact that these points were deducted on rules which were retrospectively invented.

Factor in the other things, such as transfer embargoes and inability to extend contracts and then I think the pendulum of blame firmly swings the way of the EFL.

The fact they have changed the P&S rules mid season to help teams out goes to highlight the fact that they have been hellbent on relegating us.

Whether their ultimate intention was to drive us out of business only they will know.

EFL definitely want us gone. A. because of their ongoing feud with Mel and B. Because it gives them ammunition to change football finances. 

Mel rolled the dice and it’s gone spectacularly wrong.

I think it's all but over. If we can claw it back to 3 points with the two home games to go, I'll believe but unfortunately just can't see us doing it. The form has begun tailing off with 4 points from the last five, and let's be honest they looked knackered out there towards the end today, and reading has picked up a couple of results. There are seven games to play, and we still have Fulham at home and QPR away from that, where I can't see us getting anything from either of those 2. That means five games with at least 8 to make up from my calculation. Reading have Swansea at home, Cardiff at home, Barnsley away and Hull away as their 'easier games'. Suppose they get even two wins from those 5 (assuming it remains 8 points) we'll have to win all 5 of our non-promotion competing games to overtake them. It's not going to happen. 

I was resigned to relegation, then I had a lot of hope that we could somehow dig ourselves out of it by sheer force of will, but now I think it's all over.  I've been close to tears a few times this year at the games due to the sheer levels of emotion, and I'm sure I'll have a few tears at the end of this season but I hope they get a raucous reception against Cardiff as it's the least they deserve. Derby will be back whatever form it's in, and the phoenix will rise from its ashes. I hope Rooney sticks around, and this turmoil can finally be brought to an end in the postseason so our club can regain its dignity pride and climb back up the football league. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

As much as I want to say it’s not over until it’s over. I feel that we have given ourselves too much of a task to try and stay up however when we got the extra 9 points deducted, no one believed we would even get to touching distance of survival. The team and staff have done us all proud throughout this tough period for the club but with the right owner, we will be back stronger especially if Rooney stays. ?

I just hope we don't go down with a whimper.
If we drop, I want us to drop fighting.  I've spent the whole season singing we'll fight till the end, and I shudder at the thought that we may end up looking silly!

Heck, the way I feel now, I could even accept heartache on the last day, if we start that game still in with a chance, as that will at least prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that we really did fight till the end.

After everything that has happened, I would be extremely proud of that.  Proud of the fans.  Proud of the management.  And certainly proud of the players.

Let's not give up just yet, eh?  What do points make?  Pride!  

?

We have been absolutely brilliant this season given that we were hamstrung by the transfer embargo.

Even our detractors have to admit to a certain grudging admiration.

Reading's win today has opened up a yawning chasm and,whilst they had a mere six point deficit to overcome, 21 points was an almost impossible number.

I feel we have reached Remagen (a Bridge too Far) with no blame attached to Rooney Rams or fans all of whom have shown loyalty and resilience above and beyond the call of duty.

I for one, salute each and every one of you!

Point of information - A Bridge Too Far was Arnhem in autumn 1944, Remagen was on the Rhine in March 1945.

I called it a month ago wanting to be wrong.  Unfortunately I wasn't.

In the end we just didn't have enough in the tank to get the results we needed, and Reading on present form are more or less there.

Fight on until it's mathematically finished, then after that give "the kids" some playing time ready for next season.  They'll need it.  46 League 1 games, Carabao Cup, FA Cup 1st round, could be 50-60 games altogether with a couple of cup runs.  Playing the likes of Fleetwood rather than the likes of Sheff Utd.

The only way is up!

11 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think it's all but over. If we can claw it back to 3 points with the two home games to go, I'll believe but unfortunately just can't see us doing it. The form has begun tailing off with 4 points from the last five, and let's be honest they looked knackered out there towards the end today, and reading has picked up a couple of results. There are seven games to play, and we still have Fulham at home and QPR away from that, where I can't see us getting anything from either of those 2. That means five games with at least 8 to make up from my calculation. Reading have Swansea at home, Cardiff at home, Barnsley away and Hull away as their 'easier games'. Suppose they get even two wins from those 5 (assuming it remains 8 points) we'll have to win all 5 of our non-promotion competing games to overtake them. It's not going to happen. 

I was resigned to relegation, then I had a lot of hope that we could somehow dig ourselves out of it by sheer force of will, but now I think it's all over.  I've been close to tears a few times this year at the games due to the sheer levels of emotion, and I'm sure I'll have a few tears at the end of this season but I hope they get a raucous reception against Cardiff as it's the least they deserve. Derby will be back whatever form it's in, and the phoenix will rise from its ashes. I hope Rooney sticks around, and this turmoil can finally be brought to an end in the postseason so our club can regain its dignity pride and climb back up the football league. 

Glad its not just me then!

The aftermatch celebrations against Bournemouth sticks out in the memory.

But there was even a moment yesterday where it appeared the whole ground was singing and getting behind the team, its something Ive very rarely seen in my 37 years of watching The Rams.

As much as I've brushed aside the threat of us being liquidated and saying I could easily walk away from it, Im beginning to realise its just been a coping mechanism. 

DCFC has been such a big part of my life, especially during my teens and 20s, and it devastates me that the same experiences might not be there for my lad.

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

He was playing fantasy football. As a responsible owner it was his responsibility to ensure the books balanced. Any jack-ass can splash the cash but someone who has their head screwed on knows when to reign things in.

To conclude Mel is 100% to blame

5 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

As a responsible owner it was his responsibility to ensure the books balanced

Who was his Finance Director, Who was feeding him the "it's all right trust me line"? 

Fiduciary responsibility must havefeatured at some point..  (No idea what that means but I like the sound of it) 

4 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Point of information - A Bridge Too Far was Arnhem in autumn 1944, Remagen was on the Rhine in March 1945.

I called it a month ago wanting to be wrong.  Unfortunately I wasn't.

In the end we just didn't have enough in the tank to get the results we needed, and Reading on present form are more or less there.

Fight on until it's mathematically finished, then after that give "the kids" some playing time ready for next season.  They'll need it.  46 League 1 games, Carabao Cup, FA Cup 1st round, could be 50-60 games altogether with a couple of cup runs.  Playing the likes of Fleetwood rather than the likes of Sheff Utd.

The only way is up!

Well, I wasn't actually there as I was born exactly five years after peace broke out in the far East!

Anyways, the point which you make so well is that:-

(spoiler alert!!)

The good guys win in the end!!

So will the Rams!!