Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

Think Reading drawing yesterday was bad news. It means a draw on Tuesday pushes us in to needing more than 2 wins.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things we’ll need at least 4 wins from the final 6 but looking at the EFL highlights last night, Reading seemed to batter Barnsley. 

Think Ince as much as I thought he was a poor appointment has managed to get a tune out of them. 

If we can take it to the last match of the season then we’ll do it. But I think that’s a step too far.

13 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think Reading drawing yesterday was bad news. It means a draw on Tuesday pushes us in to needing more than 2 wins.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things we’ll need at least 4 wins from the final 6 but looking at the EFL highlights last night, Reading seemed to batter Barnsley. 

Think Ince as much as I thought he was a poor appointment has managed to get a tune out of them. 

If we can take it to the last match of the season then we’ll do it. But I think that’s a step too far.

In reality is it 4 wins out of 5 with us having to play Fulham ?

5 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Been looking at the numbers.

It's now all about the IFs.

IF we can win 4 out of 6 games but get nothing from the other 2 then we will have 28 + 12 = 40 points.

IF Reading only win 2 out of 7 games and lose the other 5 then they will have 34 + 6 = 40 points.

IF Baaaaaarnsley only win 3 out of 7 and lose the rest then they will have 29 + 9 = 38 points.

IF all the above happens then we stay up on GD, probably needing to win and for Reading to lose on the very last day.

The final IF is therefore this.

IF Reading win 3 from 7 then we need to win 5 from 6.  IF they win 4 from 7 then nothing but 6 wins from 6 will keep us up.  IF they win 5 from 7 we are down whatever we do.

The signs from yesterday are that Wayne and the team know how to tactically adjust to get in front and then stay there.  Whether that will be enough now depends to a great extent on what Reading do.

Last season we were down and then were saved by Marlon Pack of Cardiff with 10 or so minutes remaining.

I suspect that on May 7th we will be in a similar situation, needing to win and for Reading to lose to stay up.

It ain't over yet!!!

Basically we need to have a good end of the season and Reading need to have bad one. This was always going to be the case but it's entirely possible. They're not that good, it was only a few games ago that they lost three on the bounce. There will still be some twists and turns in these last 6 games...

Just now, Rammy03 said:

Basically we need to have a good end of the season and Reading need to have bad one. This was always going to be the case but it's entirely possible. They're not that good, it was only a few games ago that they lost three on the bounce. There will still be some twists and turns in these last 6 games...

.........don`t forget it needs to be a better run than Barnsley too!

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

We can’t afford any slip ups. Our away form has to somehow change. We need to win 2 away games in 3….have only managed 2 wins in 20 ?

2 minutes ago, RipleyRich said:

.........don`t forget it needs to be a better run than Barnsley too!

True but if we have a good end to the season I think we finish above Barnsley regardless. Apart from a few decent results in the last few weeks, they have been awful all season. Of course they are still there above us but my gut tells me that it will come down to us vs Reading

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We can’t afford any slip ups. Our away form has to somehow change. We need to win 2 away games in 3….have only managed 2 wins in 20 ?

Win all our home games including Fulham. It's Friday night on Sky, hopefully they're promoted by then and there's something in that for us. And then we need to win one away game, just one. Surely we can end the season with more than 2 away wins.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I’m not sure. 12pts might not even be enough, but to get there I can see 2 realistic scenarios. 

we go unbeaten to the end of the season, win 3 homes games, draw against Fulham, and draw our 2 away games.

our away results are bad, but the form isn’t as bad as the results suggest. A couple of things fall in our favour, and we could definitely get a draw. I think we need to as a minimum. And we’re capable of a draw against Fulham at home. 

or, we win 3 home games, finally win 1 away game, and lose against Fulham and one other away game. 

coukd mean we lose against Swansea, but we still have a realistic route to 12 pts. So just remember if (and inevitably when) we lose to Swansea, all is still not lost. It may still get worse before it gets better.

we could realistically be 9pts adrift with 3 to play, and still achieve safety. Wouldn’t that be a helluvan end to the season?!

Just now, Rammy03 said:

Win all our home games including Fulham. It's Friday night on Sky, hopefully they're promoted by then and there's something in that for us. And then we need to win one away game, just one. Surely we can end the season with more than 2 away wins.

You'd have said not unfortunately given what's gone on before. 

Unless Rooney has been deliberately saving up an away win right at final knockings to make things a bit more interesting 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m not sure. 12pts might not even be enough, but to get there I can see 2 realistic scenarios. 

we go unbeaten to the end of the season, win 3 homes games, draw against Fulham, and draw our 2 away games.

our away results are bad, but the form isn’t as bad as the results suggest. A couple of things fall in our favour, and we could definitely get a draw. I think we need to as a minimum. And we’re capable of a draw against Fulham at home. 

or, we win 3 home games, finally win 1 away game, and lose against Fulham and one other away game. 

coukd mean we lose against Swansea, but we still have a realistic route to 12 pts. So just remember if (and inevitably when) we lose to Swansea, all is still not lost. It may still get worse before it gets better.

we could realistically be 9pts adrift with 3 to play, and still achieve safety. Wouldn’t that be a helluvan end to the season?!

I think it will be 40 points, last season it was 43 and it will be less than that this time given two teams have had points deductions. 

The two games that stand out as games we absolutely have to and should win are Cardiff and Bristol at home. They are very similar to Preston in that they can't go up or down.

Then the other two games to get the 40 points you could pick any of them. Bottom line is, we're going to have to win an away game. It sounds more daunting than it should be. There's no reason why we can't go to Blackpool or Swansea and get 3 points but we seem to make it impossible for ourselves. The results away from home are worse than the performances. In a lot of them we've been close to getting the win but never quite done it and instead ended up losing. Wayne needs to find a way and change something so that away from home we do win.

All 3 away games are winnable. Swansea have hit some form but are beatable, Peterborough recently beat QPR away & Forest just thumped Blackpool. We just need to go into them with some confidence.

We could get 7pts from them plus 6 at home, could 13pts be enough, who knows

17 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

All 3 away games are winnable. Swansea have hit some form but are beatable, Peterborough recently beat QPR away & Forest just thumped Blackpool. We just need to go into them with some confidence.

Winnable. But I bet those teams had more than an inexperienced 19(?) year old loan striker to call on?

20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

All of our away games have been winnable but we have only won 2 ?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Winnable. But I bet those teams had more than an inexperienced 19(?) year old loan striker to call on?

There are 9 other outfield players that have the ability to impact games, cant just rely on him

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Really?

Yeah I don't know why teams bother with strikers who needs them! ?

Man City dont ? 

But my point is, us winning is solely reliant on Plange being inexperienced. Also he scored in our last away win, no reason he cant again

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Man City dont ? 

But my point is, us winning is solely reliant on Plange being inexperienced. Also he scored in our last away win, no reason he cant again

I agree, but the reality is different. It's good that Ravel has found form when pushed forward more. Tom looked lively and even Buchanan got some strikes on target, oh as did Knighty, yesterday. But still to have some good quality strikers (or even one!) to call on helps. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree, but the reality is different. It's good that Ravel has found form when pushed forward more. Tom looked lively and even Buchanan got some strikes on target, oh as did Knighty, yesterday. But still to have some good quality strikers (or even one!) to call on helps. #COYR

Maybe Curtis could ruffle a few feathers up top in the away games ? Just a thought ?