Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

Too soon? Barring a miracle we're destined to struggle this season and it doesn't take a genius to work out which clubs are likely to be down there fighting with us as the parachute payment clubs fight it at the top.

Today's results which may be of interest:

Hull 0-3 QPR

Barnsley 1-0 Coventry

Blackpool 0-2 Cardiff

Reading 2-1 Preston

Huddersfield 1-4 Fulham

Middlesbrough 2-1 Bristol City

Forest 1-2 Bournemouth

Birmingham 0-0 Stoke

West Brom 3-2 Luton

The last three might be pushing it a bit, but most the teams expected to struggle this season lost today. A silver lining perhaps.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Fulham sneaked in a fifth late on at Huddersfield. I missed that one.

I know the table won't start taking shape until after 12 games or so, but a couple of the relegation favourites took a bit of a hammering today, even as the home side. 

Aside from us going to Hull, some other noteworthy midweek games.

Huddersfield v Preston

Blackpool v Coventry

The table will no doubt fluctuate quickly but that's a big game for Preston already after starting off with defeats to Hull and Reading. Lose and I imagine their new manager will be under early pressure.

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, I think you were pushing it, Bournmouth are going to be fine.

Bournemouth, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United will all be top six easily. Their resources compared to the rest is quite silly. Cardiff are in their last year of parachute payments too I believe so they should be up there.

If anyone else breaks in then it will be down to decent management more than anything as no other club I believe have the finances to match.

It's too early, you don't know who's going to be where after 2 games.

Football is unpredictable, we see it time and time again. I know the parachute clubs are expected to do well but it never always works out like that.

I think Sheffield United will have a bad season. Watching their two games they look very poor. They can't score goals, they don't have any players who look like they can score. Of course they could pick up, but it's just a gut feeling I have. 

8 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Football is unpredictable, we see it time and time again. I know the parachute clubs are expected to do well but it never always works out like that.

I think Sheffield United will have a bad season. Watching their two games they look very poor. They can't score goals, they don't have any players who look like they can score. Of course they could pick up, but it's just a gut feeling I have. 

Sheffield United have 7 centre forwards plus youngsters - they could lend us one and we would be happy ? 

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

All the teams that came down will be in the top 4 or 5 again easily. 

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Staggering incompetence not to get promoted I would say 

I honestly think people are overrating their team. We cannot underestimate the job Chris Wilder did to not only take them from league one to the premier league but then to finish in the top half of the premier league in their firsts season. Incredible achievement.

I look through their squad and they do not possess one exciting player with a bit of flair or creativity. They have a bunch of non scoring forwards. That group have been together a long time and they're at the end of their cycle.

I just do not see how they will get promoted unless they bring some new players in.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I'm not sure about Sheffield United, that's just my opinion. It's not always a given that the relegated teams do well.

It is these days. All 3 of them should have gone up last year, 2 of them went straight back up at an absolute canter, It will happen again this year with at least 2 of them. 

25 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It is these days. All 3 of them should have gone up last year, 2 of them went straight back up at an absolute canter, It will happen again this year with at least 2 of them. 

It was only last year really where that happened and I don't think we will see it again where two relegated teams go back up automatically with ease. These are the positions where relegated teams finished over the last few years:

20/21
Norwich 1st
Watford 2nd
Bournemouth 6th

19/20:
Fulham 4th
Cardiff 5th
Huddersfield 18th

18/19:
West Brom 4th
Swansea 10th
Stoke 16th