Time to walk away Wayne

DCFC_Sloth

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Lee Bowyer would have been a decent appointment.....

Bowyer's been able to sign 8 players, including 3 season-long loans, plus another 4 players who were sent out immediately on loan to other clubs.

If Rooney had been allowed to sign another 3 players, including season-long loans, maybe we'd have had the start that Brum have had?

It's not a fair comparison.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Bowyer's been able to sign 8 players, including 3 season-long loans, plus another 4 players who were sent out immediately on loan to other clubs.

If Rooney had been allowed to sign another 3 players, including season-long loans, maybe we'd have had the start that Brum have had?

It's not a fair comparison.

Wasn’t comparing anything, just think he would have been a better appointment…..

I was disappointed in both the signing and subsequent managerial appointment of Rooney, but I have to say I've been somewhat impressed by him this season. We've made a couple of shrewd signings under unprecedented circumstances and some of our build up play is fairly tidy. We're not in a good place, but I was honestly expecting a championship version of 07/08, so having 8 teams in the league that are worse than us (one being forest) is a welcome surprise. There's a lot going wrong at the club, but I think Rooney is one of the last ones that should receive blame at the moment. 

Our managerial appointment of Mr Rooney was (like a lot of our decisions recently, quickly thought out and short term). 

It ticked Mel's box's. 

Firstly there would be no cost/little cost as person was already on the payroll and part funded by our main advertiser, 

Secondly someone who would not rock the boat or continual keep knocking on door asking for this and that.

A quiet appointment who could deflect attention from what was potential going on within the club.

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Good win for Ian Evatt's Bolton over a free spending Paul Cook's struggling Ipswich.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Another of the names touted as "knowing the championship" that were favoured by a proportion of our fan base. 

So was Ian Evatt which, I think is the point @IslandExile is making. 

Back on Rooney, most on here will know I didn't want him, but he's here for the foreseeable and there has been modest progress. If we could just iron out the concentration lapses that see us giving away daft goals (or at least reduce the flow!), I think we'll be fine. He's certainly doing better this season than last and the last thing we need right now is more upheaval anyway. A bit of siege mentality and South Stand style encouragement from ALL of us, could go a long way. It would also be the perfect two-finger salute to the the EFL if we manage to avoid the relegation scrap they seem so keen to inflict upon us.

COYR

Last season Rooney got slammed for playing negative football.

This season he's getting panned for trying to play good football.

He's lost his best over all player and his best striker and is in an impossible situation unlike any other Derby manager since Arthur Cox.

But at least Arthur could wheel and deal.

Arthur couldn't even get us out of the old Division 3 on the first attempt.

This team is trying to play football and for 20 or 25 minutes on Friday we were playing some tidy football.

BUT, it's hard playing like that and it must be hard on Rooney fielding players he knows aren't good enough, but has no other option.

He deserves to see the season out and if we go down we go down, but it won't be on him imho.

2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Wayne IMO made one mistake over the summer and that was signing Allsop without knowing for sure that Marshall would be leaving. That space could have been filled with an attacking player.

Yeh I agree. At the end of the day if we'd lost a keeper through injury we'd have been able to bring one in without much drop off from Roos.

Strength from the bench is killing us now, Brum got fresh legs on and we just ran out of steam completely. Cardiff today changed the game with quality subs against florest. We can stick in games and play reasonably well but same as last season the cutting edge quality just isn't there when we need it. Another long season but I do think we are playing better football than we did last season, I find it hard to judge Rooney completely given he's not really been able to sign the quality of players he'd actually want. If we actually had the lads to execute killer balls and drag the team up the pitch then I think Rooney could do quite well.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So was Ian Evatt which, I think is the point @IslandExile is making. 

Back on Rooney, most on here will know I didn't want him, but he's here for the foreseeable and there has been modest progress. If we could just iron out the concentration lapses that see us giving away daft goals (or at least reduce the flow!), I think we'll be fine. He's certainly doing better this season than last and the last thing we need right now is more upheaval anyway. A bit of siege mentality and South Stand style encouragement from ALL of us, could go a long way. It would also be the perfect two-finger salute to the the EFL if we manage to avoid the relegation scrap they seem so keen to inflict upon us.

COYR

You can't (and I don't) blame Rooney for the lapses in individuals concentration - that can only be on them. 

Where he can improve is in his in-game management and making tactical shifts to counter opposition moves. 

They may not come off, we may not have quite the right players, but to appear to not be able to react at all is a sign that more development is required. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You can't (and I don't) blame Rooney for the lapses in individuals concentration - that can only be on them. 

Where he can improve is in his in-game management and making tactical shifts to counter opposition moves. 

They may not come off, we may not have quite the right players, but to appear to not be able to react at all is a sign that more development is required. 

He subbed off Shinnie and Lawrence. How is that not reacting at all given our limited squad?