The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So who would you pick? Bear in mind that to take those extra 2/3 penalty takers, you'd have to weaken a different area of the squad.
English penalty takers last season:

Vardy - 8/9
Kane - 4/4
C Wilson - 4/4
Ward-Prowse - 3/4
Bamford - 2/2
Ings - 2/2
Sharp - 2/2
Barnes - 1/1
Mount - 1/1
Sancho - 1/1
Lingard - 1/2
Rice - 1/2
Watkins - 1/2
Lookman - 0/1
Lundstrum - 0/1
Sterling - 0/1
Welbeck - 0/1
J Willock - 0/1

Ward-Prowse for James.

Bamford for Calvert-Lewin.

Probably could do without the other left back (Chilwell) seeing as Trippier was preferred backup on both sides.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Agree with all that, but we were at home and have the most talented squad at our disposal in years. We will not get a better chance to win something, so hearing they’ll learn and grow from this (again) grates a little. That was our chance of glory, we came up short and failed. 

If we can only win it home, then that’s not a great foundation for regularly challenging. I sincerely hope this isn’t a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is the best opportunity we’ll have, it’s not often we get to play at home, but I really hope this young crop of good players will be challenging in the top 4 of many tournaments to come. 

if we’re solely relying for the boost given by a hole tournament, then we really need our fans to stop acting like twits if I want to see another home tournament in within the next 55 years. 

29 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I know that but in previous games I think he should have played over Mount, he's a more skillful creative player probably has the best touch in the whole squad. 

I *think* Foden had been carrying an injury, but in any case other than the first 10 minutes he was pretty poor in the opener. i have no problem with him playing Mount tbh.

22 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Anybody else think in part we just over “Eng-Er-Land” it all last night.

Dont get me wrong, games are won and lost on the pitch, but all this ‘it’s coming home’, bandwagoning by opportunistic politicians, the bloody red arrows (how much did that cost for 10 secs worth of telly), royal family and celebrities on screen etc etc. It’s just all a bit tacky and borders on arrogance and holds an expectation that does not help a young bunch of players and makes the downfall so much greater.

We can all get excited, but it was overwhelming beforehand to me. Let the football do the talking and let’s wind the rhetoric back a bit.

No

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Disappointed, but not surprised, to see some crawling out of the woodwork to criticise the manager and the team after the defeat.

Where were you when we beat the Germans?

Where were you when we thrashed Ukraine?

Where we you as we only conceded one goal in the build up to the final?

Where were you when we reached our first final in a generation?

I cannot stomach talk about “negative tactics” from fans who are just waiting for us to fail and revel in “I told you so’s.” The most crushing part of this defeat is that this team had the potential to silence these types, but instead they are basking in it.

duck off.

Who was waiting for us to fail exactly? Maybe the Scots?

Otherwise it is a counter intuitive argument. Everyone in the country wanted us to win and everyone was desperate to see us win. There is nothing to be basked in.

Did everyone expect us to win? Probably not. Especially not if they had watched both teams over the course of the tournament.

However you make it sound like some people ran around their living rooms in delight when Donnarumma saved the final penalty, when in fact people are just offering their honest assessment of the game.

The defeat was hard to take and people have said there were things we could have done differently or could do differently moving forward. That is hardly ‘basking in it’.

Edited by Jourdan

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

if we’re solely relying for the boost given by a hole tournament, then we really need our fans to stop acting like twits if I want to see another home tournament in within the next 55 years

Agree with that 

29 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Anybody else think in part we just over “Eng-Er-Land” it all last night.

Dont get me wrong, games are won and lost on the pitch, but all this ‘it’s coming home’, bandwagoning by opportunistic politicians, the bloody red arrows (how much did that cost for 10 secs worth of telly), royal family and celebrities on screen etc etc. It’s just all a bit tacky and borders on arrogance and holds an expectation that does not help a young bunch of players and makes the downfall so much greater.

We can all get excited, but it was overwhelming beforehand to me. Let the football do the talking and let’s wind the rhetoric back a bit.

Yes. The country, nay the world, is in upheaval, and for days the main news item is a football tournament. Not even a world event. 

How much attention does the European athletics tournament get for example compared to the Olympics? 

Even now it's over it still gets greater prominence than plans to come out of the most serious pandemic we have ever experienced. 

It's a tournament which has brought out the best and worst of behaviours. 

One minute we are all being cautious to protect others, the next everyone is hammered and people are being stampeded in a bid to storm Wembley. 

Be sensible is replaced by let's all go mental and have Monday off. 

England gets a bad reputation because it goes so far over the top when its sporting heroes come good. 

Most of the excitement is adopted by those who don't even like football, they just want to party and shout Ingerlund. 

Anyone who is not 'them' gets abuse, including national anthems. 

Southgate's stated that the players taking the penalties were the best during practice, so he had no problem with the younger players taking pens before the more experienced players. This is all well and good but  out of the three youngsters why did he have the youngest and least experienced player at number five. The last penalty is sudden death. This is the position that puts the most pressure on any of the first five players. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

We got pushed back because their midfield gained control. They then passed us into exhaustion. Southgate didn't tell the players to just defend, they got forced into it. We need to develop midfielders who can accept the ball in tight situations and create from deep. We develop hard running tackling DCMs and skilful, creative CAMs, but any English CM with a good touch, gets pushed too far forward and doesn't learn a rounded game.

Maddison has been ruined by playing in a 10 role when he is an 8 and I fear the same is now happening to Mount.     

nintchdbpict000288293011-e1526337641591.

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Who was waiting for us to fail exactly? Maybe the Scots?

Otherwise it is a counter intuitive argument. Everyone in the country wanted us to win and everyone was desperate to see us win. There is nothing to be basked in.

Did everyone expect us to win? Probably not. Especially not if they had watched both teams over the course of the tournament.

However you make it sound like some people ran around their living rooms in delight when Donnarumma saved the final penalty, when in fact people are just offering their honest assessment of the game.

The defeat was hard to take and people have said there were things we could have done differently or could do differently moving forward. That is hardly ‘basking in it’.

Some people would rather be snarky and right than encourage other people and see them succeed.

27 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Southgate's stated that the players taking the penalties were the best during practice, so he had no problem with the younger players taking pens before the more experienced players. This is all well and good but  out of the three youngsters why did he have the youngest and least experienced player at number five. The last penalty is sudden death. This is the position that puts the most pressure on any of the first five players. 

The regular penalty taker should go last.

Hold your heads high Gareth and the team , you made the country proud and put a smile on our faces again after a torrid 16 months , last night i think the occasion got to us a little bit and with scoring so early left us a bit stick or twist , Italy are a fine side and i thought their two centre halfs Chiellini and Bonucci were immense , Jorginhos tackle on Grealish was a red for me , very nasty challenge

All in all a good tournament for us and hope for the World Cup , hard luck lads from a proud England fan

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

Disappointed, but not surprised, to see some crawling out of the woodwork to criticise the manager and the team after the defeat.

Where were you when we beat the Germans?

Where were you when we thrashed Ukraine?

Where we you as we only conceded one goal in the build up to the final?

Where were you when we reached our first final in a generation?

I cannot stomach talk about “negative tactics” from fans who are just waiting for us to fail and revel in “I told you so’s.” The most crushing part of this defeat is that this team had the potential to silence these types, but instead they are basking in it.

duck off.

I was being positive so i stayed well away from here...

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes. The country, nay the world, is in upheaval, and for days the main news item is a football tournament. Not even a world event. 

How much attention does the European athletics tournament get for example compared to the Olympics? 

Even now it's over it still gets greater prominence than plans to come out of the most serious pandemic we have ever experienced. 

It's a tournament which has brought out the best and worst of behaviours. 

One minute we are all being cautious to protect others, the next everyone is hammered and people are being stampeded in a bid to storm Wembley. 

Be sensible is replaced by let's all go mental and have Monday off. 

England gets a bad reputation because it goes so far over the top when its sporting heroes come good. 

Most of the excitement is adopted by those who don't even like football, they just want to party and shout Ingerlund. 

Anyone who is not 'them' gets abuse, including national anthems. 

Storming of the stadium, abuse of players, booing anthems, drunken behavior, violence, rubbish everywhere it's shown....we won't get the world cup in 2030 that's for sure.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Footballers often say themselves that younger players play with no fear and the older ones get more nervous.

No one really knows who will be able to take the pressure in a moment like that.

8 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Storming of the stadium, abuse of players, booing anthems, drunken behavior, violence, rubbish everywhere it's shown....we won't get the world cup in 2030 that's for sure.

Were all police given a day off yesterday too? Or were they training for the next vigil for a murdered woman?

52 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not so sure. Remember when Ronaldo didn't get chance to take one when Portugal lost to Spain (I think) a few years back?

That doesn't matter. He didn't take one because teammates missed. Those who missed wouldn't have had their chances improved by going later. Your best penalty taker should take the penalty in the most pressured situation. That's the fifth one.