The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

David

34 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Tyrone Mings has made me feel proud to be English today.

Haven't felt I could say that in quite some time.

Really? Why?

Seems to be playing silly games to me.

Suggesting that an Asian person in their 40s would not be offended by racism?

She has called out the racists and their vile posts and Mings has somehow tried to use that against her.

Seems quite bizarre to me.

I'm much prouder that the nation pretty much as a whole appears to have stood up to what happened on Sunday night.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really? Why?

Suggesting that an Asian person in their 40s would not be offended by racism?

She has called out the racists and their vile posts and Mings has somehow tried to use that against her.

Seems quite bizarre to me.

I'm much prouder that the nation pretty much as a whole appears to have stood up to what happened on Sunday night.

But like Patel, did you also support those who chose to boo the England players taking the knee?

What Mings says is simply the truth. She refused to condemn those who booed an anti-racist gesture and now expects no one to raise an eyebrow when she condemns the racism?

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

But like Patel, did you also support those who chose to boo the England players taking the knee?

What Mings says is simply the truth. She refused to condemn those who booed an anti-racist gesture and now expects no one to raise an eyebrow when she condemns the racism?

I don't ever really support anybody booing anything, I think its a bit of a moronic think for an adult to do.

I agreed with her that she supported for people to be able to boo it if that is what they wanted to do, that is how free speech works.

I think what Mings has said is pretty tasteless.

I imagine a 40 something Asian person has suffered a lot more racism than a 20 something black person.

No problem with Mings using hos platform for calling out the mindless idiots from Sunday night, but using it for attacking somone who was actually calling out the racism seems kind of counter productive to me.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't ever really support anybody booing anything, I think its a bit of a moronic think for an adult to do.

I agreed with her that she supported for people to be able to boo it if that is what they wanted to do, that is how free speech works.

I think what Mings has said is pretty tasteless.

I imagine a 40 something Asian person has suffered a lot more racism than a 20 something black person.

No problem with Mings using hos platform for calling out the mindless idiots from Sunday night, but using it for attacking somone who was actually calling out the racism seems kind of counter productive to me.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But "that is how free speech works" - so you should be supporting him! Because you support free speech.

Must be so confusing to be you right now

Having had time to cry, mourn and now reflect, I'm just pleased we were able to enjoy the ride for as long as we did.  Don't get me wrong, I was gutted but before the tournament started I thought we'd make the quarters at best when you looked at Belgium, France, Spain, Germany and Italy.  All in all they did the country proud (unlike the mindless racists and gutter worms who have the combined intelligence of a single celled protozoic embryo). 

Southgate's tactics were obviously defensive, setting up to score on the break and it nearly worked.  Hindsight's a great thing, but I'd have liked to have seen more of Grealish, especially in the final where, with a few Italians already on bookings he'd almost certainly draw fouls and possibly a second yellow.  Similarly, DCL - may not be the incisive finisher Kane is but he's a great striker and extremely mobile - would have been good to see him against the Italian back line.   Saka did well this tournament....until the final where he went missing IMO.  I'd have liked to have seen more of Sancho, the so-called wonder kid.  I think Foden picked up an injury but I would liked to have seen more of him than Mount due to his directness and attacking ability. 

Summary

Pickford I've never rated him due to poor decision making, but kudos to the guy, he had a great tournament and I think I only saw one brief flash of the "old" Pickford.

Stones / Maguire / Walker / Shaw - simply brilliant, didn't do a thing wrong including Trippier when he stepped in

Rice / Phillips - rock solid - worked their ar5es off.  Phillips in particular ran something like 15km each game

Saka - one for the future - I think the final was one game too much for him but a great talent.  Would have liked to see Sancho instead personally

Mount - great player, classy guy (giving his top to that girl),  although I prefer Foden overall. Possibly a bit like trying to play Lampard and Gerrard where it never quite worked. 

Grealish - never liked him before but seen him in a new light now and he warrants every respect.  Great player and should have been used more, especially from early in the 2nd half of the Final. Classy too - giving his boots away to a young lad having just lost the biggest game of his life and smiling for a selfie - something that lad will never forget .

Kane - quiet overall I thought - yeah his finishing is never a doubt (great pen in the Final). I just wish he was more mobile - would have liked to have seen more of DCL

Sterling - I'm still torn over this guy - great attacking mindset, running defenders ragged but if only he could get his head up and pass - I lost count of how many times he ran into a blind alley or lost the ball.  Overall, he did really well for us but he could have been exceptional. 

On a positive, this team will be with us again for next year's World Cup and if they play anything like their potential we could be in for an exciting time.  

53 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

But "that is how free speech works" - so you should be supporting him! Because you support free speech.

Must be so confusing to be you right now

I support his right to free speech, I don't agree with what he is saying, not that confusing is it?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really? Why?

For me, there are certain things, common values that bind us together as a nation. Those things include honesty, integrity, tolerence, respect and a sense of fair play.

As I see it, Mings is standing up for those values - the essence of Englishness - and calling out those who don't. 

He's a rich young man who doesn't need to do that. He could keep quiet, go home to his mansion and live a luxury life.  But instead he's using his current celebrity for the benefit of us all, knowing he'll get a tirade of abuse for doing that - online, and at every football match he plays from now on.

Today he's standing up my values and for every English person who shares those values too.

And that's what makes me feel proud.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I mean if what the secret barrister said was correct then I would fully back up Mings.

Where is the evidence that the people who booed taking the knee are all racists? ANSWER - THERE IS NONE 

Where did the Prime Minister and Home Secretary publicly criticise the players for taking the knee and back the racists? ANSWER - THEY DIDN'T. 

Other than that Im sure it was a brilliant article.

Its a shame after such a brilliant tournament which united 99.99% of the country behind the team and brought a feelgood factor to the country, that some people just cant wait to sweep it under the carpet and get back to concentrating on the 0.001% of people that behave like morons, and Im not just talking about the racism issue.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

For me, there are certain things, common values that bind us together as a nation. Those things include honesty, integrity, tolerence, respect and a sense of fair play.

As I see it, Mings is standing up for those values - the essence of Englishness - and calling out those who don't. 

He's a rich young man who doesn't need to do that. He could keep quiet, go home to his mansion and live a luxury life.  But instead he's using his current celebrity for the benefit of us all, knowing he'll get a tirade of abuse for doing that - online, and at every football match he plays from now on.

Today he's standing up my values and for every English person who shares those values too.

And that's what makes me feel proud.

Fair enough, good response. 

Do you think its respectful, telling a woman that probably spent most of her childhood blighted by racism that she is only pretending to be offended by racism?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair enough, good response. 

Do you think its respectful, telling a woman that probably spent most of her childhood blighted by racism that she is only pretending to be offended by racism?

Do all people of colour see things the same then? Is that what you're saying, they're all the same?

Thing is, there is either a clear message that racism in any form is unacceptable or there isn't.

Mixed messages from those in power are simply not good enough. That's what Mings is pointing out

Every time someone looks for an excuse, or a loophole, or a weasel interpretation of why they think it's not actually pro-racist to boo an anti-racist gesture - THAT right there is the problem.

If you don't see that right now is the time for solidarity and a clear message then you can't be surprised when racism happens