The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

David

Just now, Rammy03 said:

I agree in that tonight was the night for us. It was at Wembley, we scored so quickly in the game, we had the best defence all tournament. All the pieces were falling into place. We will never get a better opportunity than this to win a major tournament. 

But to essentially write us off for the next tournament is strange. You mention the likes of Spain and Germany will be better in 12 months time, but so will we. The players we're bringing through are fantastic. We have a core that will likely stay in place. Southgate has taken us to a semi final and a final. It's better than any other manager has done for a long long time. We have no right to expect to win these big tournaments. We've come close and there's no reason in my mind why we can't go one better next time. We'll be back. 

That was our chance. At home, we only play mediocre teams the whole tournament. We'll never get that again, england won't get past a quarter again with this generation of players. 

4 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I grew up in Italy (Turin) my mum is Italian and my dad is English, I supported the England national team as my mum was not into footbal and my Dad was an avid England/ Derby  fan. We moved back to Derby as a family when I was 13. To claim I know nothing about the Italian national team or Italian football shows how ignorant and pig headed you are you absolute melt. I had a Cuore Granata card at Torino for 7 years ? 

go to bed mate 

I never claimed you knew nothing about the Italian football team or Italian football, think that must be the shandy playing tricks on your mind again..

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Fancy defining a genuine supporter? Have to have attended a number of games? Watched for a number of years or?

Forum post count of course. Pretty obvious really.

The pubs all book using tik tok, snap chat or my space too, so the young girls get an unfair booking advantage.

I wrote to my local Firkin pub on Thursday requesting a place. Posted it before 4pm too with a first class stamp. Got there tonight at 7.50 and all the seats were taken.

It was actually someone's house now, they converted it into flats in 2002. Unacceptable.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You realise there can only be one winner? What ifs and disappointment have already been raked over in Belgium, France, Spain, the Netherlands and Germany in the last couple of weeks.

England could also look far better by the time the next tournament comes around.

On the evidence of what we have seen this tournament, I am not so sure if we stick with Southgate.

Our standout performance was against a very poor Ukraine. Most other games we had a slight edge, if any. It was a tournament of moments for us, rather than convincing performances.

Time will tell, but I think it will take another coach to really get us putting it all together.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Go to bed. You'll feel better about things tomorrow.

I won't. But regardless, if you are going to behave in such a self righteous manner about it and claim it's just football, I expect you to never react emotionally about a football game or I'll make the same point to yourself.

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think now is a good time to reset, yes. Why wait 18 months for more disappointment and what ifs to follow?

This was our real opportunity and Southgate’s real opportunity, particularly once the draw began to open up for us.

The World Cup is a much more difficult prospect. You have Argentina and Brazil who will be two of the favourites. You have France, Belgium, and of course Italy who will also be contenders again. You even have Germany, Spain and the Netherlands who could all look far better in 12 months’ time.

Tonight was a big opportunity missed.

Why do France,Belgium Germany, Spain and Holland, all who went out earlier than us in this tournament, automatically improve but we don't? How does that work?

Do you not think having such a young squad gives us room for improvement?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Forum post count of course. Pretty obvious really.

The pubs all book using tik tok, snap chat or my space too, so the young girls get an unfair booking advantage.

I wrote to my local Firkin pub on Thursday requesting a place. Posted it before 4pm too with a first class stamp. Got there tonight at 7.50 and all the seats were taken.

It was actually someone's house now, they converted it into flats in 2002. Unacceptable.

Myspace thats so passé. You forgot to mention Insta so know you weren't being serious......

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

On the evidence of what we have seen this tournament, I am not so sure if we stick with Southgate.

Our standout performance was against a very poor Ukraine. Most other games we had a slight edge, if any. It was a tournament of moments for us, rather than convincing performances.

Time will tell, but I think it will take another coach to really get us putting it all together.

And that is what tournament football is all about.

The supposed standout team of the tournament, Italy, were very lucky to beat both Austria and Spain.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why do France,Belgium Germany, Spain and Holland, all who went out earlier than us in this tournament, automatically improve but we don't? How does that work?

Do you not think having such a young squad gives us room for improvement?

It's the manager. He doesn't like the manager. That's all. 

Typical England... same old same old England.

"We got to a final" - yes, we did... but look at how Italy got to the final, beating Spain and Belgium, and then look at how we did it. Credit where it's due, we beat Ukraine and Denmark and managed to play out a goalless draw with a pub side from Scotland, and beat one of the worst Germany sides you've seen in years... so, credit for that England, sure. But really Italy deserve this FAR more than we do, and honestly if we'd have won the tournament tonight on penalties I think we'd have absolutely robbed them.

Once again, as soon as we come up against anybody half decent - we lose. The nation gets a massive boner over the team because "we're in a final" or "we're in a semi final", but we've got there really by getting lucky and being drawn against a bunch of far inferior teams which allows us to basically walk our way in to the latter stages, allows us to flatter to deceive, makes us look better than we actually are. It happened in the world cup and it happened again here. If we'd have played Italy, Belgium, Spain or France in the round of 16 we'd have been out ages ago.

On to the game itself... we had TWO shots on target. TWO. One of those came from our LEFT BACK.. our LEFT ducking BACK. A wealth of attacking talent, all millionaires, all star names for their clubs, and it's our left back who's getting the goal. Can anybody tell me who got our other shot on target, without googling it? I actually have no idea. It was probably a header from a corner. That's the way this England team plays... defend as though you believe the other team is better than you are, as if you're scared of them, despite the fact that any one of your players could walk in to the Danish side (for example), and then hope to grab a cheeky goal from a corner or an own goal or a penalty. It's ducking boring, it's ducking embarrassing, and it's ducking cowardly.

WHY ON EARTH was Saka expected to take that final penalty when there's seasoned and senior pros in the side who could have volunteered ahead of him? Where's our apparent golden boy Raheem Sterling? Didn't he fancy it?

Our supposed messiah of a manager made 2 substitutions with about 30 seconds to go, which I can only assume was so that those players could take a penalty... and they both missed. Bravo, Gareth. Bravo. I honestly feel really sorry for Jordan Pickford.

Anyone else notice that all 3 players who missed, and one for Italy in Jorginho, all took some elaborate run-up? Just run up to the ball and put your ducking laces through it for ducks sake.

It's boring! Can we not play like we want to win for once, rather than like we're just trying not to lose? Can we not HAVE A ducking GO?!

Please, somebody, tell me why I should believe that this England team are anything other than lucky to get this far in the first place, and why I should believe that we have any hope of doing well, or even playing anything remotely resembling entertaining football, at next years World Cup.

6 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Typical England... same old same old England.

"We got to a final" - yes, we did... but look at how Italy got to the final, beating Spain and Belgium, and then look at how we did it. Credit where it's due, we beat Ukraine and Denmark and managed to play out a goalless draw with a pub side from Scotland, and beat one of the worst Germany sides you've seen in years... so, credit for that England, sure. But really Italy deserve this FAR more than we do, and honestly if we'd have won the tournament tonight on penalties I think we'd have absolutely robbed them.

Once again, as soon as we come up against anybody half decent - we lose. The nation gets a massive boner over the team because "we're in a final" or "we're in a semi final", but we've got there really by getting lucky and being drawn against a bunch of far inferior teams which allows us to basically walk our way in to the latter stages, allows us to flatter to deceive, makes us look better than we actually are. It happened in the world cup and it happened again here. If we'd have played Italy, Belgium, Spain or France in the round of 16 we'd have been out ages ago.

On to the game itself... we had TWO shots on target. TWO. One of those came from our LEFT BACK.. our LEFT ducking BACK. A wealth of attacking talent, all millionaires, all star names for their clubs, and it's our left back who's getting the goal. Can anybody tell me who got our other shot on target, without googling it? I actually have no idea. It was probably a header from a corner. That's the way this England team plays... defend as though you believe the other team is better than you are, as if you're scared of them, despite the fact that any one of your players could walk in to the Danish side (for example), and then hope to grab a cheeky goal from a corner or an own goal or a penalty. It's ducking boring, it's ducking embarrassing, and it's ducking cowardly.

WHY ON EARTH was Saka expected to take that final penalty when there's seasoned and senior pros in the side who could have volunteered ahead of him? Where's our apparent golden boy Raheem Sterling? Didn't he fancy it?

Our supposed messiah of a manager made 2 substitutions with about 30 seconds to go, which I can only assume was so that those players could take a penalty... and they both missed. Bravo, Gareth. Bravo. I honestly feel really sorry for Jordan Pickford.

Anyone else notice that all 3 players who missed, and one for Italy in Jorginho, all took some elaborate run-up? Just run up to the ball and put your ducking laces through it for ducks sake.

It's boring! Can we not play like we want to win for once, rather than like we're just trying not to lose? Can we not HAVE A ducking GO?!

Please, somebody, tell me why I should believe that this England team are anything other than lucky to get this far in the first place, and why I should believe that we have any hope of doing well, or even playing anything remotely resembling entertaining football, at next years World Cup.

Yup, we beat a bunch of crap teams and got found out vs our first proper opposition, but people will tell you that england are great and we got unlucky when we beat Denmark, the worst Germany in 30 years and Ukraine ?

59 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Chiellini just gave an interview on ITV, that man is an absolute warrior and is so humble In victory, you just can’t buy that level of class. 

Him and Bonucci are masters of their trade, legends of defending 

I understand you grew up in Italy? I played in Naples for 3 years, Chiellini's assault on Saka was class-less and should have been a Red

Just now, Andicis said:

Yup, we beat a bunch of crap teams and got found out vs our first proper opposition, but people will tell you that england are great and we got unlucky when we beat Denmark, the worst Germany in 30 years and Ukraine ?

100%. Was the same at the World Cup too. 

And then the occasion, the spectacle of being in a final, is used as an excuse to cover up the fact that we're just not that good at football tbh. 

I think that it's possible to separate the football itself, as in; "are we actually any good?", from the enjoyment of getting far in a tournament, as in; "we're in a final!"... but it seems to me that most people get those two things conflated with each each other.