The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

David

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Biggest pisser for me wasn't the result tonight but having to trawl a number of bars in Nottingham to find somewhere that wasn't fully booked in advance and chancing on The Canal House which was entirely populated by 18 year old female students whom I imagine hadn't ever been to watch a football match in their lives.

Nothing against females or students or 18 year olds but most of the venues in Nottingham were already booked up in advance of England playing Denmark in the semis.

Am sure there's a lot of genuine supporters out there who didn't even get the chance to watch England play in a major final in a pub or bar which in itself it totally unacceptable.

You're lucky. I had to watch it sat on a sofa next to my father in law, who seems to support any team that isn't England or Derby County.

52 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Thought the England team did us proud. 

The fans once again brought shame on the country and probably cost us any chance of getting another tournament in the next twenty years. 

Don't blame the penalty takers. They were brave enough to step up to the plate. 

I have grown to respect this England team and will support them again as they try to bring it home from Qatar. 

They lost. Did us proud ??. Embarrassing. Either you win, or it makes no difference whether your 24th or 2nd. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Absolutely pathetic lack of ambition after we scored. We sat off. We got what we deserved. Southgate get out, people will act like you've done a great job but we had the best squad in the tournament and we should have won it easily. 

Nonsense

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

We just played in a final which, we were second best in but, could easily have gone either way and you want the manager to step down ?

Could go for a more experienced manager like Eriksson or Capello, that worked well in the past!

I think now is a good time to reset, yes. Why wait 18 months for more disappointment and what ifs to follow?

This was our real opportunity and Southgate’s real opportunity, particularly once the draw began to open up for us.

The World Cup is a much more difficult prospect. You have Argentina and Brazil who will be two of the favourites. You have France, Belgium, and of course Italy who will also be contenders again. You even have Germany, Spain and the Netherlands who could all look far better in 12 months’ time.

Tonight was a big opportunity missed.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Absolutely pathetic lack of ambition after we scored. We sat off. We got what we deserved. Southgate get out, people will act like you've done a great job but we had the best squad in the tournament and we should have won it easily. 

No one has a right to win anything easily. This is a major international tournament. Can you name a single team in history that just waltzed to the title cruising through every game. 

In an alternate reality somewhere, Saka scored his penalty, and were just winning on sudden death penalties now. Would your reaction be the same then?

‘im glad we won and everything, but if I’d have been in charge we would have won it in normal time and shouldn’t have needed penalties.’

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Biggest pisser for me wasn't the result tonight but having to trawl a number of bars in Nottingham to find somewhere that wasn't fully booked in advance and chancing on The Canal House which was entirely populated by 18 year old female students whom I imagine hadn't ever been to watch a football match in their lives.

Nothing against females or students or 18 year olds but most of the venues in Nottingham were already booked up in advance of England playing Denmark in the semis.

Am sure there's a lot of genuine supporters out there who didn't even get the chance to watch England play in a major final in a pub or bar which in itself it totally unacceptable.

I think this may be some classic irony aimed at yourself.

Is your next post gonna be how a gang of the 18 year old girls took you back to their student flat and into their beds, but one of them really was quite a poor kisser. Unacceptable.

Just now, TigerTedd said:

No one has a right to win anything easily. This is a major international tournament. Can you name a single team in history that just waltzed to the title cruising through every game. 

In an alternate reality somewhere, Saka scored his penalty, and were just winning on sudden death penalties now. Would your reaction be the same then?

‘im glad we won and everything, but if I’d have been in charge we would have won it in normal time and shouldn’t have needed penalties.’

My point comes back to sitting off massively after our early goal. We showed 0 ambition after that and as such deserved what we got.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I think now is a good time to reset, yes. Why wait 18 months for more disappointment and what ifs to follow?

This was our real opportunity and Southgate’s real opportunity, particularly once the draw began to open up for us.

The World Cup is a much more difficult prospect. You have Argentina and Brazil who will be two of the favourites. You have France, Belgium, and of course Italy who will also be contenders again. You even have Germany, Spain and the Netherlands who could all look far better in 12 months’ time.

We will also look better in 12 months time though. I’m not sure why no ones getting this. None of our players are retiring. They’re going to have another half a season under their belts, they’re just going to get better and better. So yeah, all those other teams might be better, but so will we. With the benefit of having learned lessons from a failed final. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Fancy defining a genuine supporter? Have to have attended a number of games? Watched for a number of years or? 

With international football we are all supporters, whether you go home/away religiously or watch the odd clip after the game. That's what made the tournament a shining light of hope as a country, it brought even those with no clue about the sport into the madness of football... 'all England fans here ain't we'. 

Also, side note but we all had the opportunity to book pubs ahead equally. Can't complain if you expect to walk in somewhere today and it's all full. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You realise there can only be one winner? What ifs and disappointment have already been raked over in Belgium, France, Spain, the Netherlands and Germany in the last couple of weeks.

England could also look far better by the time the next tournament comes around.

14 minutes ago, sage said:

I agree we should sack our second most successful manager of all time. 

Second to who? Who are we comparing Southgate to? Let’s also not forget the FA’s agenda to appoint “safe” managers. You Reckon Cloughie couldn’t have gone on to win owt with the England team?

Edited by Derbados

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I agree in that tonight was the night for us. It was at Wembley, we scored so quickly in the game, we had the best defence all tournament. All the pieces were falling into place. We will never get a better opportunity than this to win a major tournament. 

But to essentially write us off for the next tournament is strange. You mention the likes of Spain and Germany will be better in 12 months time, but so will we. The players we're bringing through are fantastic. We have a core that will likely stay in place. Southgate has taken us to a semi final and a final. It's better than any other manager has done for a long long time. We have no right to expect to win these big tournaments. We've come close and there's no reason in my mind why we can't go one better next time. We'll be back.