Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No idea the significance in being given freedom of the city, but glad his effort to keep this club going through the darkest year of its 183 year history is being celebrated in some way. 

The attitude and energy he's brought to the club have been significant in keeping us going, make no mistake, so if the freedom of the city means he can chin Mel Morris whenever the mood strikes then I'm all for it - give him two keys, one for the front door and the other for the back! 

What does freedom of the city mean?

Does this mean Wayne can walk into Revs and turf people out of their booth for him and his crew.

Or walk into bubbles and demand one of the lovely ladies give him a hand with a job he has on?

Can he walk to the front of the queue at a Next sale and buy something he actually needs, rather than the chaff that is left?

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No idea the significance in being given freedom of the city, but glad his effort to keep this club going through the darkest year of its 183 year history is being celebrated in some way. 

The attitude and energy he's brought to the club have been significant in keeping us going, make no mistake, so if the freedom of the city means he can chin Mel Morris whenever the mood strikes then I'm all for it - give him two keys, one for the front door and the other for the back! 

Edit, mate... quick... before anyone notices!  ?

35 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What does freedom of the city mean?

Does this mean Wayne can walk into Revs and turf people out of their booth for him and his crew.

Or walk into bubbles and demand one of the lovely ladies give him a hand with a job he has on?

Can he walk to the front of the queue at a Next sale and buy something he actually needs, rather than the chaff that is left?

I think it's more of a honourary thing along the lines "this person has done so much much good for the city they should be welcomed anywhere"

Don't think it actually gets you anything any ordinary citizen of Derby doesn't have.

On 23/05/2022 at 16:09, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I know Gary Cook is Kirchner's choice for CEO.

I'm not aware of him publicly expressing a desire to give Stretford a position like that or a seat on the board, but I keep seeing it mentioned so I presume he's said it somewhere.

I'm warming to Kirchner but I think it would be a terrible and worrying decision if he were to put Stretford in a position like that.

Seems unlikely Stretford would want an executive position.  But I’ve seen it written in various places (don’t know how reliable it is) that he will be on the board. I think @DarkFruitsRam7 makes a good point about this 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Seems unlikely Stretford would want an executive position.  But I’ve seen it written in various places (don’t know how reliable it is) that he will be on the board. I think @DarkFruitsRam7 makes a good point about this 

Why, again? This is easy to suggest. How is it any different than CK picking the manager? Perhaps it would be good to have the experience and advice from Stetford?

38 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Freedom of the city - I must say he acted with dignity and kept us going with the players but we got relegated and he got paid for doing his job like many many more do on a daily basis - it’s all a bit unnecessary.

He stuck with a sinking ship when he could have jumped many times. He also kept the thousands of fans behind the team and made them look forward to league 1. 

I think his job is quite unique for you to say many many more do on a daily basis. 

10 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

He stuck with a sinking ship when he could have jumped many times. He also kept the thousands of fans behind the team and made them look forward to league 1. 

I think his job is quite unique for you to say many many more do on a daily basis. 

I'm not sure about that bit.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why, again? This is easy to suggest. How is it any different than CK picking the manager? Perhaps it would be good to have the experience and advice from Stetford?

I agree there may be some benefits in Stretford’s involvement. I think together he and WR may have the ability to influence players and even their agents. But if Stretford continues to get a slice of WR’s earnings from football and has influence over CK, that’s an awkward situation and one that could make the CEO’s job very difficult 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's more of a honourary thing along the lines "this person has done so much much good for the city they should be welcomed anywhere"

Don't think it actually gets you anything any ordinary citizen of Derby doesn't have.

I think it gives you the right to drove geese through the town every month.

Here's one we gave out before to some fella I've never heard of.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure about that bit.  

The mood around the club could have been much worse and if we’d have just given up halfway through the season, nobody would have looked forward to going to league 1. 

Most supporters left after the last game of the season with high hopes and looking forward to the challenge ahead. 

Im pretty sure the other two relegated teams dont have the optimism we have and that’s down to the management team. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Freedom of the city - I must say he acted with dignity and kept us going with the players but we got relegated and he got paid for doing his job like many many more do on a daily basis - it’s all a bit unnecessary.

He showed true leadership and loyalty for the club in its darkest hour, I completely understand the sentiment but to me its still a bit premature.