Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I love Wayne Rooney for everything he's done for the club. But all this statute and freedom of the city nonsense is absolutely ridiculous. 

I'll add one more thing on to this.

I get the sense that these strange honours that people are trying to bestow on Rooney come from the fact that a lot of public officials have been drawn into the Derby County saga over the last six months. Councillors, MPs, etc, who wouldn't usually give a flying duck about football or Derby County, aside from when it suits their political needs. 

I don't know whether I'm being overly cynical here, but I do wonder whether this is a bit of a publicity stunt for said public officials. 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I get the sense that these strange honours that people are trying to bestow on Rooney come from the fact that a lot of public officials have been drawn into the Derby County saga over the last six months. Councillors, MPs, etc, who wouldn't usually give a flying duck about football or Derby County, aside from when it suits their political needs. 

I don't know whether I'm being overly cynical here, but I do wonder whether this is a bit of a publicity stunt for said public officials. 

Or perhaps they're acknowledging what is important in many 'ordinary' folks lives? Isn't that what politicos (should) do?

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You can acknowledge what's important in people's lives without giving the freedom of the city to a manager who's managed the club for less than two years.

How?

That's the point of the honour isn't it. Or can't we use it, got to keep it for Sunday Best?

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Wouldn’t say you’re being overly cynical at all.

Wayne Rooney is a global superstar, currently managing the city’s football club, both himself and Frank Lampard have put Derby on the map.

It’s good for the city, they will want him around for as long as possible, this is nothing more than an attempt to really stamp the city into his heart off the back of an incredible season in terms of uniting it.

There is no other logical explanation. We haven’t won anything, it hasn’t been a long successful tenure, even without the points deduction it wasn’t like we would have been doing anything crazy like pushing top 6.

Which even if we did, I still don’t think it would be worthy of the status.

It’s something that will be forever in his Wiki biography, make national news as we permanently attach ourselves to a global superstar.

If anyone truly believes it is based on his achievements this season, shall we create a list of football managers both at Derby and across the country that should now be given freedom of the city status?

Saying all that, I’m not angry, disappointed or have any real emotion towards this, just simply believe it hasn’t been earned but have no control or input into these decisions.

I do think it will work though, his attachment to the city will become stronger but it will get really awkward now if we underperform next season.

There was always going to be more pressure going into this season, but this has notched it up a tad. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Wayne Rooney is a global superstar, currently managing the city’s football club, both himself and Frank Lampard have put Derby on the map.

It’s good for the city, they will want him around for as long as possible, this is nothing more than an attempt to really stamp the city into his heart off the back of an incredible season in terms of uniting the city.

There is no other logical explanation. We haven’t won anything, it hasn’t been a long successful tenure, even without the points deduction it wasn’t like we would have been doing anything crazy like pushing top 6.

It’s something that will be forever in his Wiki biography, make national news as we permanently attach ourselves to a global superstar.

If anyone truly believes it is based on his achievements this season, shall we create a list of football managers both at Derby and across the country that should now be given freedom of the city status?

Saying all that, I’m not angry, disappointed or have any real emotion towards this, just simply believe it hasn’t been earned but have no control or input into these decisions.

I do think it will work though, his attachment to the city will become stronger but it will get really awkward now if we underperform next season.

There was always going to be more pressure going into this season, but this has notched it up a tad. 

Good post.

The one thing I'll say about Rooney is that he seems to genuinely mean it when he says he's developed a connection with the club. I know you love Lampard but, post-match bounces aside, I've never gotten the impression that he gives a toss about us since he left.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Good post.

The one thing I'll say about Rooney is that he seems to genuinely mean it when he says he's developed a connection with the club. I know you love Lampard but, post-match bounces aside, I've never gotten the impression that he gives a toss about us since he left.

Seen Lampard talk about us a few times since leaving in various podcast/interviews, we gave him his first opportunity at management which in turn put him the position to take over the club he loves.

I’m sure he will have a connection to the city and club.

Rooney has been here a little longer, again giving him his first opportunity in management, there will always be a connection as well.

Not really a competition though as without knowing them both personally, it would be hard to know if it’s just PR or genuine. I choose genuine for both based on nothing more than wanting to create a love story with superstars and my club.

22 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hm ... I would have thought that in the thoughts of local politicians, might be the 100 million a year that dcfc brings to the city.

The hundreds of jobs either directly working for dcfc, for one of their suppliers or else who's businesses profit when football matches encourage thousands to the city, who might not other wise visit derby.

Maybe these same politicians care about the work with the community that dcfc does, and for which I believe that dcfc won an award this year.

Maybe these local politicians just wanted to honour rooney for doing as much as he could to stop the club from ceasing to exist.

26 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A little cynical but nothing too much wrong with that. For me, the club still exists - That's obviously the most important thing. If it weren't for Rooney galvanising the team, the club and, to a point, the fans/city would those big crowds have happened? Would the protests happened to the extent that they did? Where would be right now?

Throughout the last 18-24 months Rooney is pretty much the only constant outside of the players, he's stood head and shoulders above owners, prospective owners, politicians, the EFL, 'experts''/pundits/journos/ITKs, other clubs' owners and officials. He's pretty much the ONLY person I can think of (outside of players) who is obviously in credit after all of this. So yeah, I'm happy with it.

2 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

A little cynical but nothing too much wrong with that. For me, the club still exists - That's obviously the most important thing. If it weren't for Rooney galvanising the team, the club and, to a point, the fans/city would those big crowds have happened? Would the protests happened to the extent that they did? Where would be right now?

Throughout the last 18-24 months Rooney is pretty much the only constant outside of the players, he's stood head and shoulders above owners, prospective owners, politicians, the EFL, 'experts''/pundits/journos/ITKs, other clubs' owners and officials. He's pretty much the ONLY person I can think of (outside of players) who is obviously in credit after all of this. So yeah, I'm happy with it.

#COYR

Sir Alex Ferguson widely regarded the best manager this country has seen.

Was given the Freedom of Manchester in 2000, 14 years after he arrived at the club.

By which point, he won 6 Premier League Titles, 4 FA Cup’s, 1 League Cup, 1 Champions League.

In fact he’s won 13 of their 20 Premier League/Division 1 titles, needless to say, he’s kind of a big deal around Manchester.

So about Wayne Rooney’s achievements in Derby

49A483C4-0C0F-4644-814C-49B0240DBF20.jpeg

I would expect Wayne to express his thanks and appreciation but turn it down for now anyway. Stressing for now. His team will get the PR right. 

i do think his part in keeping club alive shouldnt be underestimated but cant help feel its a cynical way to make sure he stays. Also bit embarrassing if he leaves if MA ends up taking over or he gets sacked next season. Another Derby embarrassment waiting to happen!!! Cant we just be boring

10 minutes ago, David said:

It’s good for the city, they will want him around for as long as possible, this is nothing more than an attempt to really stamp the city into his heart off the back of an incredible season in terms of uniting it.

I think he'll probably turn it down as he'll probably find it a little embarrassing.  No takeover and he's probably gone.  No win after 10 games and he's probably gone.  This is the kind of thing you present to a manager like Arthur Cox after the final curtain.  Took over the management in a similar position  and in five years took us from 5 or 6 players in Division 3 to a UEFA cup spot in the 1st.  Then stayed after Maxwell pursued Cruyff, then Spurs and strangled him of any cash for 2 years. His last 12 months weren't brilliant but he had some ongoing health problems  and we only missed out on promotion by a point in 91/92.  I find this all very weird  to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

Good post. 

Still don't think he deserves freedom of the city, but fair points.

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Good post. 

Still don't think he deserves freedom of the city, but fair points.

I fully agree. There are good points from both sides of the yes and no debate and in terms of longevity in their connection to our city and county over the years there have been many individuals who you could argue contributed more and achieved more over a longer period of time without being considered for the award. But for me, since the Second World War the two biggest threats to the future and prosperity of Derby are the Rolls-Royce crash in 1971 and the threat of the liquidation of our club which was so suddenly and brutally put in front of us last September. We won the battle for survival in 1971 and we seem close to achieving the same for our football club in 2022.

If Royces had gone to the wall, which the government of the time was more than prepared to allow, I do not believe Derby would have emerged as the prosperous city that it is today. The company's survival was wholly due to the fight put up by the trade unions within RR and the local MPs with the wholesale lobbying in Parliament. Similarly, if Derby County had gone to the wall and out of the Football League this season the affect on the region would have been so destructive that the road to recovery could have been long and hard. Like the government in 1971, the EFL, whatever they may now claim, seemed more than prepared to see our club exit their organisation. They hadn't helped our fellow EFL founder club Bury one iota; nor to a lesser extent had they helped Notts County, who were also there at the beginning.

When we were confronted with that awful reality back in September, the club was virtually leaderless. We didn't have a board and Quantuma can never be considered as one of us; their objectives by definition were very different to ours. We had a fight on for survival and every fight or cause needs a leader as a focal point; thankfully Rooney by force of circumstance or nature emerged as that leader, galvanising all of the fanbase as an unstoppable force. We all seem to recognise that he could have blamelessly walked away at any time, many in his position would have done, but he stayed and campaigned with us. Everyone, including the fanbase and players, fought to the end. Rooney was just one amongst many but he stayed because as he said he had never walked away from a fight in his life.

But the reason I support the award is that it would be an everlasting symbol of the achievements of everyone involved. Has any other single community ever put up such a united, determined and hopefully successful front to save its football club from the threat of extinction? I can't thing of one offhand.

So I see the award as an award to the whole community, not just an individual person and I think our community deserves that recognition. Every year the honours lists are full of much less deserving recipients.

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes, even in these inflationary times. If you consider Brian Clough was awarded this in 2003, it seems previous. If he stays and takes us into the PL, fair enough 

anyway judging on the pictures from Dubai, he’s tickled pink