Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, SirBrian said:

Highly selective choosing only one of the points, has the feel of a Bristol city fan, lol

KC always wanted Wayne to stay on as manager, so when KC walked away in December was it, then when he made his second bid, he was quick to say Wayne was staying on as manager, you are quite right Wayne was never a factor in KC buying the club.

You accuse me of selective quoting whilst putting words into my mouth.

I had already agreed with most of what you had previously said, the new bit was at the end which I couldn't get my head around.

I have also not said he was never a factor in Kirchner wanting to buy the club, what I said was that neither Kirchner, Ashley or any of the other interested parties, would ever been interested had it not been for Rooney, I can't believe that is true.

So yes, Rooney could be a factor, what I'm saying is, not the only factor, Derby County is more than Wayne Rooney.

I think the council have shot their bolt too early on the Freedom thing.

Rooney, I expect will grin and bear it as he wouldn’t be rude enough to refuse. But I’m quite sure he’ll be thinking what he’s done to deserve it over other upstanding and selfless citizens of this city. 
One could to point to the all time record of consecutive away defeats he presided over this season if anyone thought he was a great manager.

He’s not a great manager yet but he could be. He’s shown he’s a people person possessing great empathy both essential in a leader. 

Rooney would be first to admit he’s a work in progress and he just wants to go about his business so I don’t think he’ll appreciate or think he deserves to be lorded like this just yet.

I think we have a gem in Rooney but this freedom thing is bonkers.

1 hour ago, David said:

We have a statue of a legendary manager at the club, achieved far greater things than Rooney has, took him 30 years after leaving the club to be given the freedom of Derby.

There's no bigger fan of Brian Clough at Derby than me. I had the privilege of seeing it all. He would have been given the Freedom of the City of Derby, which he fully deserved, much earlier had he not spent 18 years managing Forest. That bit hurt us all. But that statue includes Peter Taylor who you forget to mention. None of us who lived through their period in Derby have ever forgotten Taylor's contribution to our success; that's why there's a statue of him too. There's no statue of Taylor in Nottingham, despite his contribution to their success. That hurts the Taylor family. Please remember David that it's not Clough and Derby, but Clough and Taylor and Derby. Nottingham don't get that but we do. Unfortunately, Peter Taylor had passed away by the time Clough was given the Freedom of the City of Derby. That was simply fate, because Taylor was deserving of the same accolade but he never received it. Never forget his part in it all.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And how about the effect that had on the Club's players and staff, fans and the rest of the City? #proud

Who is Adam Peaty?

I was travelling back from the Hungarian GP a few years back, and sat next to his mam on the flight. 

We got chatting, and I asked if she'd been over for the F1? 

No she said, she'd been watching her son in the swimming world championships, so I enquired if he was any good, and how he'd got on, which earned me a dig in the ribs from the present Mrs Devil.

"He did ok", was her understated reply, as he'd smashed his own world record and had the gold medal hanging around his neck!

8 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Not being mystic meg, would any other manager have stuck with the club when the going got tough, doubt they would.

Not a dig, but if it was Liam Rosenior in charge and he was also in his first managerial job (having got the job in phony circumstances) while being the highest paid manager in the Championship, then yes I think he and many others in that position would have stuck with the club.

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I think this whole thing has more to do with the cult of celebrity than any sensible assessment of whether Rooney has (yet) earnt the accolade.

Get him in the council chamber, have our photos taken with him to show the grandkids, what's not to like? 

Cynical you,  only joking, however the council must have been worried over this nightmare, for it as been reported that the club is worth up to a £100 million for the city's trade over a year, whether this is true or not, no football means many job losses and for Mr Pop that means they are not paying tax.

Freedom of the City not intrested whether he his made one or not, if he his then the reconition is worthy for what he has done for the city.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

I was travelling back from the Hungarian GP a few years back, and sat next to his mam on the flight. 

We got chatting, and I asked if she'd been over for the F1? 

No she said, she'd been watching her son in the swimming world championships, so I enquired if he was any good, and how he'd got on, which earned me a dig in the ribs from the present Mrs Devil.

"He did ok", was her understated reply, as he'd smashed his own world record and had the gold medal hanging around his neck!

That's mums for you whilst bursting with pride inside

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not a dig, but if it was Liam Rosenior in charge and he was also in his first managerial job (having got the job in phony circumstances) while being the highest paid manager in the Championship, then yes I think he and many others in that position would have stuck with the club.

And none of those others would have been given freedom of the city 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Does anyone (reliably) know what Rooney is being paid as a Manager? 

As reliable as most of the purported ITK drivel shared on here.

FWIW here's a link to an article claiming what Rooney is on 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-wayne-rooneys-net-worth-24634803

Daily Fail also quote the same amount of 90k per week or 4.5 million quid a year. Allegedly.

Im pretty sure Rooney's wages were rationalised down when he was moved onto his full time manager contract and the £90k figure is what was quoted when he came in as a player (and we got additional 32 red sponsorship). 

Just my guess, and I've no Idea what he's on now, probably more than he would be if his name was Dave Nobody.

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As reliable as most of the purported ITK drivel shared on here.

FWIW here's a link to an article claiming what Rooney is on 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-wayne-rooneys-net-worth-24634803

Daily Fail also quote the same amount of 90k per week or 4.5 million quid a year. Allegedly.

See, the MLS Player Association website showed that he earned $3.5m pa (about £2.75m at the time, or £55,000 pw) as a Designated player, and it was widely reported that Derby were matching that salary, but only because a significant proportion was being funded by an increase in sponsorship money by 32Red. The £90k pw figure doesn't tally with that by a long way and it's also been assumed that his new contract as a manager simply maintained his player's salary, which is unheard of. That's why I question it. 

Of course, when Mel Morris agreed to pay players like Johnson, Lawrence and Keogh circa £30k pw, it's not hard to believe he might have agreed to pay Rooney £4.5m pa, but it would set a new record for his own personal financial recklessness as owner.