Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

See, the MLS Player Association website showed that he earned $3.5m pa (about £2.75m at the time, or £55,000 pw) as a Designated player, and it was widely reported that Derby were matching that salary, but only because a significant proportion was being funded by an increase in sponsorship money by 32Red. The £90k pw figure doesn't tally with that by a long way and it's also been assumed that his new contract as a manager simply maintained his player's salary, which is unheard of. That's why I question it. 

Of course, when Mel Morris agreed to pay players like Johnson, Lawrence and Keogh circa £30k pw, it's not hard to believe he might have agreed to pay Rooney £4.5m pa, but it would set a new record for his own personal financial recklessness as owner. 

You're right to question it but until someone provides a more realistic amount then that's the figure that has to be used as a baseline. 

Would it surprise me that Morris sanctioned that? Does the pope wear a pointed hat. 

24 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Haven’t Blackburn appointed a new manager, Jon Dahl Thomason? Blackpool are also sorted and can’t think of any other managerless championship clubs?

Yes, they have. Plus, Watford and Burnley are sorted. The only other explanation is that he's had an offer from a club that hasn't fired their manager yet.

Forest, maybe ?

Fair play to Rooney, he said he’d stand by this club and he’s done exactly that. About the only one who’s kept his promises in this whole sorry affair. I may still hold my reservations about his managerial credentials, but there’s no denying he’s guy who genuinely cares. 

Not gonna lie, I’d have jumped at the chance to get out of here in his boots, even as a Derby fan! A job to stay in the Championship at this stage in his career, given he’s never really had the chance to manage in normal circumstances, is an offer you’d find hard to turn down. Cheers for sticking with us Wayne, I really hope you get a chance to have a proper go here soon.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Wayne Rooney loves real football and he knows we are a real football club with real fans that love real football.

It’s a real football story and I love Wayne Rooney and I love Derby County Football Club and real love is D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

Up the Aberdeenshire Rams.

E49F0F99-2F99-4E4A-834B-5F15C23DFC2A.jpeg

And Wayne, Derby and all of us love you ?

On 19/06/2022 at 20:38, Inverurie Ram said:

Wayne Rooney loves real football and he knows we are a real football club with real fans that love real football.

It’s a real football story and I love Wayne Rooney and I love Derby County Football Club and real love is D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

Up the Aberdeenshire Rams.

E49F0F99-2F99-4E4A-834B-5F15C23DFC2A.jpeg

But only love can break your heart.

Edited by Inverurie Ram

You've painted up your lips

And rolled and curled your phoney hair

Rooney, are you contemplating

Going out somewhere

The table on the wall

Tells me that Derbys going down

Oh, Rooney, don't take your love to town

It's hard to love a man whose

Funds are bent and paralyzed

And the wants and the needs of

A man your age, Roon, I realize

But it won't be long

I've heard them say until we own our Ground

He's leaving now 'cause I just

Heard the slamming of the door

The way I know I've heard it

Slam one hundred times before

And if I could move, I'd get my gun

And put him in the ground

Oh, Rooney, for God's sake, turn around

Wazza owes us nothing. I'm not going to address some of the harsher posts concerning his style of play and managerial acumen. After all, we're all entitled to an opinion, or so I'm told. What I would say is that whatever folk feel about him as a manager, some respect is owed to Rooney as a man. He has been the glue that held this club together, our unbreakable rock. He has been the one who told us how it is, who stuck with the club through thick and thin and who banded the players into the team who ran through walls for each other and for us fans.

I'm sad and a little disappointed that he chose now to leave us but we don't know the reasons behind his decision. I strongly suspect that there's more to the decision than him throwing his toys out of the pram because Kirchner did not get the gig. I also suspect that his comments since leaving are borne out of loyalty and a desire not to rock the boat further. Diplomacy, if you will. One thing Rooney has always been is his own man, so I'd be fairly certain that not being able to work with Kirchner is only part of his reasoning. One plausible explanation that I've not seen ventured is that the strain of managing the club through crisis after crisis, being kept in the dark by the money men, the relentless pursuit of the club by the EFL and the demands made on him by the media have finally taken their toll. After his herculean effort to hold this club together, watching the player roster slowly stripped to the bone has most likely proven the to be the straw that has broken his back.

Lest we forget, first and foremost, Wayne is a relatively young man with a wife and 3 young kids. His first duty is to them and not to a club that fans aside, has treated him poorly, his supposedly astronomic wages aside. There's no doubt in my mind that he holds a deep affinity for the club and us fans, but it cannot be to the detriment of his health or his family and homelife. My gut instinct is that he simply needs some time away from the spotlight and the grinding reality of trying to get Derby County back on the rails.

As for the future, I've no doubt he will be back in a less stressful role in time, nor that his loyalty and work ethic will not yield success in time. He has my immense gratitude and respect, despite my having been one of his harshest critics not so long ago. I wish him nothing but good health and good fortune in whatever he chooses to do next.

Was fiercely critical of his appointment and think he had a terrible first season and should have gone then.

As a bloke he's shown loyalty and held the club together these last 9months or so almost single-handedly.  Would gladly shake his hand and thank him. Don't resent him going now, he's waited till the club seems safe before he jumped ship.

However, a few games aside - where often the sheer will that he fostered brought us back from the brink - I don't think we were that great to watch, we had some bizarre tactics that drove me insane and we were often quite negative as a team on the pitch. 

Obviously he's had an awful lot to content with...but less than 30 wins from 85 games isn't shouting to me he's irreplaceable.  In some ways maybe we have had the best of him...his ability to keep players loyal and fighting against the odds. There is hope for me we can do something in this league now and maybe someone else can change the whole narrative and perspective.  That said...Liam is the cheapest choice so not sure how well that works. 

Anyway- to me he is still very much unproven as a manager but as a bloke he's a legend. Best of luck to him.

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Was fiercely critical of his appointment and think he had a terrible first season and should have gone then.

As a bloke he's shown loyalty and held the club together these last 9months or so almost single-handedly.  Would gladly shake his hand and thank him. Don't resent him going now, he's waited till the club seems safe before he jumped ship.

However, a few games aside - where often the sheer will that he fostered brought us back from the brink - I don't think we were that great to watch, we had some bizarre tactics that drove me insane and we were often quite negative as a team on the pitch. 

Obviously he's had an awful lot to content with...but less than 30 wins from 85 games isn't shouting to me he's irreplaceable.  In some ways maybe we have had the best of him...his ability to keep players loyal and fighting against the odds. There is hope for me we can do something in this league now and maybe someone else can change the whole narrative and perspective.  That said...Liam is the cheapest choice so not sure how well that works. 

Anyway- to me he is still very much unproven as a manager but as a bloke he's a legend. Best of luck to him.

Agree with much of what you've said - I think it's a tad harsh to imply that his winning record wasn't great, given the constraints he was working with. That said, I'm thinking right now if the Birmingham game in Jan, it's one of my greatest days of being a Ram but we weren't very good! The amazing build up and finish glossed over how rudderless we were for much of the game. We were being royally humped for a while after the second goal, rarely seen a team with less direction than that. In short, his character was brilliant, his skills as a manager? Jury's out I think.

On 19/06/2022 at 15:47, Tyler Durden said:

You're right to question it but until someone provides a more realistic amount then that's the figure that has to be used as a baseline. 

Would it surprise me that Morris sanctioned that? Does the pope wear a pointed hat. 

Didn't Red32 pay half of his wages 

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Wazza owes us nothing. I'm not going to address some of the harsher posts concerning his style of play and managerial acumen. After all, we're all entitled to an opinion, or so I'm told. What I would say is that whatever folk feel about him as a manager, some respect is owed to Rooney as a man. He has been the glue that held this club together, our unbreakable rock. He has been the one who told us how it is, who stuck with the club through thick and thin and who banded the players into the team who ran through walls for each other and for us fans.

I'm sad and a little disappointed that he chose now to leave us but we don't know the reasons behind his decision. I strongly suspect that there's more to the decision than him throwing his toys out of the pram because Kirchner did not get the gig. I also suspect that his comments since leaving are borne out of loyalty and a desire not to rock the boat further. Diplomacy, if you will. One thing Rooney has always been is his own man, so I'd be fairly certain that not being able to work with Kirchner is only part of his reasoning. One plausible explanation that I've not seen ventured is that the strain of managing the club through crisis after crisis, being kept in the dark by the money men, the relentless pursuit of the club by the EFL and the demands made on him by the media have finally taken their toll. After his herculean effort to hold this club together, watching the player roster slowly stripped to the bone has most likely proven the to be the straw that has broken his back.

Lest we forget, first and foremost, Wayne is a relatively young man with a wife and 3 young kids. His first duty is to them and not to a club that fans aside, has treated him poorly, his supposedly astronomic wages aside. There's no doubt in my mind that he holds a deep affinity for the club and us fans, but it cannot be to the detriment of his health or his family and homelife. My gut instinct is that he simply needs some time away from the spotlight and the grinding reality of trying to get Derby County back on the rails.

As for the future, I've no doubt he will be back in a less stressful role in time, nor that his loyalty and work ethic will not yield success in time. He has my immense gratitude and respect, despite my having been one of his harshest critics not so long ago. I wish him nothing but good health and good fortune in whatever he chooses to do next.

Well put, he’s also spent a chunk of the summer supporting his wife through a very high profile legal proceeding. 
There’s a story in the S*n today saying he’s spending time taking his coaching badges which if true makes sense to me. Less demands on his time and domestic commitments for a bit, build on his Derby experience with the appropriate “formal qualifications” then get back into a job a little down the line. 
I wasn’t keen on the recruiting of Rooney the player, thought the experiment of him as manager was questionable at the time and was happy to be proven wrong for the way he shouldered the burden and galvanised the club in the face of adversity. I think last season was one of the most enjoyable for years despite all the off the field trauma and I thank Rooney for that. We’ve parted ways amicably, let’s all look forward now