The slow death of comedy and humour.

i-Ram

'It aint 'alf 'ot Mum' was never rescreened as far as I know. Don Estelle was extremely bitter about it. According to his obituary in The Independent, "in recent years Estelle cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his "Lofty" outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres."

Fortunately  I have the boxed set of DVDs

6 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

'It aint 'alf 'ot Mum' was never rescreened as far as I know. Don Estelle was extremely bitter about it. According to his obituary in The Independent, "in recent years Estelle cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his "Lofty" outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres."

Oh dear. How sad.

12 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

One of the most unpleasant people I've ever met. It was that unpleasant it's still etched in memory from the age of 8 when I had the misfortune of spending time 20 minutes around him when he did a PA appearance at the Trocadero in Derby. Absolute bell of the highest order. 

Working in a factory for 40 years I don't see any change in humour, jokes etc. Daft jokes amongst workmates continue aplenty on the shop floor.

WhatsApp jokes proliferate amongst my groups.

The issue is on wider social media where you don't know your audience, thats whats different, not real people in real life.

On 11/03/2021 at 08:31, Mucker1884 said:

I hear what you're saying, bro.  

Fine lines and all that, and they seem to be getting finer by the day.  I guess we all have our sensitivities, but I'm a great believer in either laughing it off (for 99% of the time) and ignoring the rare "joke" that may touch a nerve.

Whilst there are some out there who deliberately set out to offend, I like to think I'm pretty good at sussing out who they are, and who are the ones that just want to brighten up the day, and bring a smile and laughter to people's lives... even if they do a poor job of it! 

I do feel that for every single "offender", there are dozens waiting to be seen to be offended.  I find that sad, in all honesty, but I guess we just have to let them get on with it.  Perhaps some laughter would do them the world of good!   

?

Confession time...

The above was my initial response to the OP.  It's got a few likes, I see.

Truth is, I backed out.  I was going to post something else.  For once, I gave a little thought to offending people... be that the readers and/or the sole target of what I was about to post.  Afterall, said target is a total stranger in all but name, and I have absolutely no idea how he would have reacted.  I don't like the fact that I had to even consider doing that... To suppress my natural reaction... but do it I did!

Today however, is a different day.

What I was going to post was...

"I hear what you're saying, bro.

... Unlike @Eddie, the deaf old coot!"

So... what do others think?
Funny?  Offensive?  Both?    ?

Edited by Mucker1884

32 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Confession time...

The above was my initial response to the OP.  It's got a few likes, I see.

Truth is, I backed out.  I was going to post something else.  For once, I gave a little thought to offending people... be that the readers and/or the sole target of what I was about to post.  Afterall, said target is a total stranger in all but name, and I have absolutely no idea how he would have reacted.  I don't like the fact that I had to even consider doing that... To suppress my natural reaction... but do it I did!

Today however, is a different day.

What I was going to post was...

"I hear what you're saying, bro.

... Unlike @Eddie, the deaf old coot!"

So... what do others think?
Funny?  Offensive?  Both?    ?

None of them to be honest, a bit like the love triangle that they seem to be trying to get going on this thread, if I don't know the individuals then I don't really get the banter.

If I knew Eddie, then I'd probably understand, but to me he is one of many on here, therefore I'd say like the threesome meet up, I don't get it ?‍♂️

I'm sure many on here though do know him, so they will have a different opinion I'm sure.

I see Bernard Manning mentioned a couple of times. And that's a good example as to why it's not so much comedy that has changed, but the societal and technological constructs around it.

Manning (and as another example - Chubby Brown) have always been known as offensive base humour comedians since I was a kid in the late 70s and 80s. They were rarely on TV because the channels knew they would be deluged with complaints. But still plenty of people found them funny and they sold out gigs wherever they went, What was said within the 4 walls of that gig stayed there. If you found them offensive and unfunny you didn't attend. Simpler times for sure, but doesn't mean a huge number of people didn't consider them offensive. There was just no point in going on about it, it was just something that we tolerated.

But now we have social media and a 24/7 news culture that depends on public outrage for it's very existence, and its exhausting and very very tiresome. "The offended" constantly pitted against "the anti-woke brigade" - neither side realising that they are being played just the same

One thing I can't get my head around is the number of people who take objection to a particular comedian or group of comedians, or a particular style of comedy.

Pick one, and go look for a gig advertised on Facebook and read the public comments. 

"Not funny". "Would rather bleed from the eyes". "Worst comedian ever". People have to tell you their personal opinion, and post it as gospel.

So, if it's not your thing, don't watch it. I don't particularly care for a lot of comedy, but that's just my personal preference. Others views vary. You don't have to take it personally that they are aiming for a market that doesn't include you.

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

One thing I can't get my head around is the number of people who take objection to a particular comedian or group of comedians, or a particular style of comedy.

Pick one, and go look for a gig advertised on Facebook and read the public comments. 

"Not funny". "Would rather bleed from the eyes". "Worst comedian ever". People have to tell you their personal opinion, and post it as gospel.

So, if it's not your thing, don't watch it. I don't particularly care for a lot of comedy, but that's just my personal preference. Others views vary. You don't have to take it personally that they are aiming for a market that doesn't include you.

But how many times on here have we read Derby fans saying that such and such Derby player steals a living as a footballer.  Everybody is entitled to an opinion i just wish people could keep it to themselves

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

But how many times on here have we read Derby fans saying that such and such Derby player steals a living as a footballer.  Everybody is entitled to an opinion i just wish people could keep it to themselves

I can see the sense why people use a football forum to express opinion on the football. But I bet if I find the Heinz Baked Beans groups, there'll be people telling me how disgusting they are. Are they trying to convince me, or just happy with their superior view of things?

On 11/03/2021 at 08:02, i-Ram said:

It’s not just on this forum of course, but we should all have a minutes silence this morning at 11 that ‘Ginger’ jokes are no longer to be considered funny, nor leg pulls about the Chinese or the Irish, or gentle teasing of Scousers. Comedy is not quite dead for those who plot a careful course, but for most of us now there is a need for us to comply, and to accept that comedy just can’t be funny any more.

I've just realised your mourning the death of The Mash Report. I know, cancel culture is real.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Very true, we even have similar on this forum, Ex Rams and Football Forum often sees “who cares?” replies like every topic should be of interest to all members.

The internet has given everyone a voice, including mine with millions of platforms to voice it on.

One of the things I find weird is people boasting who they’ve been blocked by, even seen their “achievements” listed in their bios. Stan Collymore, Piers Morgan, Alan Sugar, the big 3.

Congratulations on someone reading your abusive message.

The next day they will be posting Be Kind content before sharing petitions looking to cancel the next target that says something they don’t like.

Doesn’t seem possible anymore to just pay no attention or simply ignore people that you disagree with or simply don’t find funny. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Very true, we even have similar on this forum, Ex Rams and Football Forum often sees “who cares?” replies like every topic should be of interest to all members.

The internet has given everyone a voice, including mine with millions of platforms to voice it on.

One of the things I find weird is people boasting who they’ve been blocked by, even seen their “achievements” listed in their bios. Stan Collymore, Piers Morgan, Alan Sugar, the big 3.

Congratulations on someone reading your abusive message.

The next day they will be posting Be Kind content before sharing petitions looking to cancel the next target that says something they don’t like.

Doesn’t seem possible anymore to just pay no attention or simply ignore people that you disagree with or simply don’t find funny. 

"Close the thread". "Why is this thread still open?". Like I've decided we shouldn't be talking about it more.