The slow death of comedy and humour.

i-Ram

It’s a difficult issue.

I find Come Fly With Me absolutely hilarious. But I wonder how I’d feel if I was Asian, Chinese or any of the other minorities they rip the piss out of.

I think some people are too eager to be offended on behalf of others. But equally, I don’t think the ‘anti-PC’ brigade put much thought into how it might feel to be, for example, a gay person watching the whole country laughing at a gay joke, when that person has probably been given poo for their sexuality their whole life.

There’s room for sensible discussion somewhere, but I fear the resentment between ‘the woke’ and ‘the gammon’ is too deeply entrenched at this point.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

18 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well lets see, off the top of my head...

It was Gina Canaro last week for daring to have an opinion.  There was also an attempt to cancel Henry Cavil because he once dated Gina Canaro a decade ago.

This week is Pepe le Pew and Dr Seuss.

You can virtually put your mortgage on it being someone or something else next week.  Heck, its not even the weekend yet...

Vintage stuff.

Gina Canaro had her contract cancelled because her public statements were an embarrassment for her employer. Nothing to do with her 'daring to have an opinion'.

Pepe Le Pew is a bad example to kids.

Dr Seuss hasn't been 'cancelled'.

And it's allegedly the 'woke' that are offended.

53 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Remember that this is a two-sided argument after all - you have a right to tell what jokes you like, just as much as someone else has the right to say that they don't find it funny. Works both ways. If you're really complaining that you can't joke about stuff without being told you're not funny, then is your skin really any thinner than the person who you deem to be "over-reacting"?

Is a good point, but is it THE point?

Comedy has always been subjective - some hate McIntyre, millions love him; what I find funny others will not; I wouldn't cross the street to watch Frankie Boyle, others think he's a comedy hero.

The point, I think, is that in days past if you didn't like what a comedian said or found them funny, you didn't watch, didn't laugh or didn't buy a ticket. At most you wrote a stiff letter to the BBC.  Nowadays, you write something on social media about being offended and then find 20 other people that you've never met before that think the same, or who daren't disagree with you.  Before you know it there's a thousand more from around the world - some of whom will never have seen or heard what has been said but are just reacting to the reports and say they are disgusted.  That then gives the appearance that millions of people agree, that the whole world is disgusted and to which comedians and commissioners and politicians and other media personalities (except Piers Morgan) have to react in the only way they know.  By banning/not repeating said jokes or comments, which are then effectively censored.  You therefore no longer have the right to tell what jokes you like, unless you want public opprobrium or a career on the fringes or become a very 'safe' comedian like Tim Vine.

53 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well lets see, off the top of my head...

It was Gina Canaro last week for daring to have an opinion.  There was also an attempt to cancel Henry Cavil because he once dated Gina Canaro a decade ago.

This week is Pepe le Pew and Dr Seuss.

You can virtually put your mortgage on it being someone or something else next week.  Heck, its not even the weekend yet...

Well if you'd said weekly instead of daily I wouldn't have questioned it ?

Cultural context is important.

When I first went to Ireland, I was quite surprised to hear people telling 'Paddy' jokes. 'Paddy' in these jokes was an idiot, whereas a 'Paddy' joke in England is a lazy stereotype of Irish people in general. On the one hand, a moron does something stupid; on the other, Irish people are morons.

These days you can't joke about anything and I don't mean this forum. There are people that spend their time just looking for a reason to get offended. And not only for themselves but for others too. It's just sad. 

Now people are watching comedies that were made decades ago and bitching how horrible they were. I believe you can and also should find humour about everything. But hey, I'm just a four feet tall, obese Swede who has no friends or future to look forward to so who cares what I think.

5 hours ago, David said:

Of late, Sacha Baren Cohon, Matt Lucas, David Walliams have all come out and apologised for sketches in their comedies over the years. 

Part of the problem is this constant need to apologise for things that were perfectly acceptable years ago. 

Some people will apologise for anything if it keeps them popular. It's embarrassing.

If they perform sketches like that (whatever it may be) now, then by all means take them to task but they're not going to are they? Comedy has moved on and so have comedians along with the rest of world.

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I find Come Fly With Me absolutely hilarious. But I wonder how I’d feel if I was Asian, Chinese or any of the other minorities they rip the piss out of.

I think Little Britain/Come Fly With Me is an interesting part of this story.

I thought the early series of Little Britain was very funny, with lots of clever ideas. Think it was originally a radio series.

By the final series, most of the cleverness had gone and the newer characters were just over the top with one joke ie they were fat, or being sick. Not sure if the writers changed, or they tried to make it more "mainstream".

I thought Come Fly With Me was shocking, both in terms of it's terrible jokes and the use of ancient stereotypes. I guess you were pretty young when you watched it, and you seem to suggest now it was a bit off.

Two succesful men punching down at minorities and forgetting what made them good in the first place.

8 hours ago, David said:

As a naturally hilarious person that feeds off cheap gags, I myself feel constrained somewhat now not to offend. 

It’s difficult, and comes down to not knowing what goes on behind the screens that are reading your posts.

Myself and Boycie, we give each other some right stick, at times it leaks on the forum, he gets all the fat jokes, I get all the no hair. I try to target it specifically at him, and not to capture all fat people, which may I add I’m actually fat myself right now thanks to lockdown.

We can handle it, others not so much, and it’s mostly because we have built up this online relationship to do so, but say if a new member joined, in his first 10 posts starts calling me baldie, chances are I’ll not be offended but think who the hell is this person. 

As moderators, that’s part of the “job”, recognising these relationships, and those that clash.

Back in the day I got it wrong, gave @Eddie a warning for something he posted to @Mostyn6, now as you will all be aware, Eddie doesn’t have much of a filter. When Mostyn found out he dropped me a PM to explain they’ve known each other for years over Derby County forums and have these back and forth flirtations.

Warning removed, apology given.

It’s a minefield it really is, and if I ask anyone reading this to be a moderator, do yourself a favour and say no.

Sign me up fatty.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think Little Britain/Come Fly With Me is an interesting part of this story.

I thought the early series of Little Britain was very funny, with lots of clever ideas. Think it was originally a radio series.

By the final series, most of the cleverness had gone and the newer characters were just over the top with one joke ie they were fat, or being sick. Not sure if the writers changed, or they tried to make it more "mainstream".

I thought Come Fly With Me was shocking, both in terms of it's terrible jokes and the use of ancient stereotypes. I guess you were pretty young when you watched it, and you seem to suggest now it was a bit off.

Two succesful men punching down at minorities and forgetting what made them good in the first place.

Tbf sit-coms are usually based on stereotyping or extreme versions of normal people. Look at the Young Ones. Bread, Hyacinth Bucket, Allo Allo, Some Mothers Do Ave Em, Fawlty Towers .. Its normal-ish people pushed to the max. There is relatively little 'clever' humour it in, just character traits or mannerisms stretched to absurd levels. 

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I watched a bit of it about 10 years ago when I saw it repeated. Honestly, without the canned laughter, there was no idea a joke had been made. I was a kid when it was on and seemed to remember it was really popular.

It was huge....always thought it was awful but that Butterflies was even worse and that seems to still be respected. 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Tbf sit-coms are usually based on stereotyping or extreme versions of normal people. Look at the Young Ones. Bread, Hyacinth Bucket, Allo Allo, Some Mothers Do Ave Em, Fawlty Towers .. Its normal-ish people pushed to the max. There is relatively little 'clever' humour it in, just character traits or mannerisms stretched to absurd levels. 

Some mothers do ave em was based on @Boycie, not many people know that. True story.