The slow death of comedy and humour.

i-Ram

On 11/03/2021 at 12:17, David said:

Of late, Sacha Baren Cohon, Matt Lucas, David Walliams have all come out and apologised for sketches in their comedies over the years. 

I'm afraid I have very little respect for comedians that cave into these demands to apologise for their work. They are cowards who are content to make things much more difficult for young comedians just so long as they avoid cancellation and can stay aboard the gravy train. There's an older generation of comedians like Stephen Fry and Rowan Atkinson who are strong advocates of free speech. They are the people who should be looked up to.

On the subject of sketches that would get you cancelled nowadays, Matt Lucas' warped version of Shirley Bassey in his Rock Profiles series is hilarious.

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

People still would have been offended by the same jokes told today, 40 years ago. People now just have a platform to make that offense known. Like others have said, you have to know your audience. 

SOME 'People still would have been offended by the same jokes told today, 40 years ago.' - amended that for you ?

It works both ways imo, the audience should know what they are watching as well and appreciate that whilst they might find it dull as dishwater or offensive others won't. 

Jo Brand for example, from the few bits I've seen she is either always slagging men off or talking about periods - can't stand her.  Doesn't mean she doesn't have the right to make a living though if others do find her funny. 

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

the audience should know what they are watching as well and appreciate that whilst they might find it dull as dishwater or offensive others won't. 

Yeah - and that's how it should be.

The problem comes when it's involuntarily foisted onto you by the media (and by others on social media) - and then invited to express your opinion on it. Most people seem incapable of resisting that invitation, and so it snowballs

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Jo Brand for example, from the few bits I've seen she is either always slagging men off or talking about periods - can't stand her.  Doesn't mean she doesn't have the right to make a living though if others do find her funny.

I don't find her especially funny either - and let's remember that she was subject to the same attempt at cancellation over the battery acid joke in 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49508231

Her career was so ruined that she..erm checks notes...has appeared on TV frequently and was one of the headline comperes on the BBC Funny Festival last week

Which illustrates the point that the whole "cancel culture" thing is yet one more thing that doesn't actually exist oustide of the media's culture war baiting business model

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah - and that's how it should be.

The problem comes when it's involuntarily foisted onto you by the media (and by others on social media) - and then invited to express your opinion on it. Most people seem incapable of resisting that invitation, and so it snowballs

Agree.  And I have been banging on about the dangers of social media for years...

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't find her especially funny either - and let's remember that she was subject to the same attempt at cancellation over the battery acid joke in 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49508231

Her career was so ruined that she..erm checks notes...has appeared on TV frequently and was one of the headline comperes on the BBC Funny Festival last week

Which illustrates the point that the whole "cancel culture" thing is yet one more thing that doesn't actually exist oustide of the media's culture war baiting business model

Personally I don't really think those that believe in free speech wanted her cancelled, they just use examples such as that to highlight the hypocrisy and double standards.

Imagine what would have happened to a comedian cracking a similar joke about any other demographic...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/17/comedian-sophie-duker-sparks-ofcom-complaints-with-kill-whitey-joke-on-frankie-boyles-new-world-order-13288089/

Trump used to be accused of using 'code words' to fire up his base, well 'comedians' such as this are riling the exact same people.  Personally, its either all okay or non of it is okay - I'd prefer the former but would settle for consistency. 

52 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Trump used to be accused of using 'code words' to fire up his base, well 'comedians' such as this are riling the exact same people.  Personally, its either all okay or non of it is okay - I'd prefer the former but would settle for consistency. 

I'd not heard of her, and somehow had managed to miss this particular  "controversy" (thank god). 

But I think that's quite a false equivalence to say that it's no different to Trump. Having watched the clip it's a clear ironic exposition joke. And there were 42 complaints (from people either deliberately missing the joke or worse, just didn't get it), which wouldn't have even made the news if the Daily Mail hadn't pestered Ofcom for the stats and then made it news

Trump on the other hand was never "just joking", so inappropriate to bring him up in a topic about comedy. And we talked about "knowing your audience" - he was tweeting to his 80 million followers..as the most powerful man in the western world

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

But I think that's quite a false equivalence to say that it's no different to Trump. Having watched the clip it's a clear ironic exposition joke. And there were 42 complaints (from people either deliberately missing the joke or worse, just didn't get it), which wouldn't have even made the news if the Daily Mail hadn't pestered Ofcom for the stats and then made it news

Well over 1000 complaints iirc and it was investigated by the police and dropped - as it should have been (the latter at least).  I personally doubt that many missed the joke etc, more calling out the hypocrisy of allowing it on air. 

If you allow jokes against one group whilst protecting others it is just going to create more problems than it solves, especially if you allow social media to be the arbiters of what is appropriate or not. 

As I said earlier, they are either all jokes, or non of them are jokes.  Anything else just fuels resentment.

34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well over 1000 complaints iirc and it was investigated by the police and dropped - as it should have been (the latter at least).  I personally doubt that many missed the joke etc, more calling out the hypocrisy of allowing it on air. 

If you allow jokes against one group whilst protecting others it is just going to create more problems than it solves, especially if you allow social media to be the arbiters of what is appropriate or not. 

As I said earlier, they are either all jokes, or non of them are jokes.  Anything else just fuels resentment.

Yeah I agree with that sentiment - I was just disagreeing with your choice of comparison, that's all. 

On 11/03/2021 at 10:08, David said:

As a naturally hilarious person that feeds off cheap gags, I myself feel constrained somewhat now not to offend. 

It’s difficult, and comes down to not knowing what goes on behind the screens that are reading your posts.

Myself and Boycie, we give each other some right stick, at times it leaks on the forum, he gets all the fat jokes, I get all the no hair. I try to target it specifically at him, and not to capture all fat people, which may I add I’m actually fat myself right now thanks to lockdown.

We can handle it, others not so much, and it’s mostly because we have built up this online relationship to do so, but say if a new member joined, in his first 10 posts starts calling me baldie, chances are I’ll not be offended but think who the hell is this person. 

As moderators, that’s part of the “job”, recognising these relationships, and those that clash.

Back in the day I got it wrong, gave @Eddie a warning for something he posted to @Mostyn6, now as you will all be aware, Eddie doesn’t have much of a filter. When Mostyn found out he dropped me a PM to explain they’ve known each other for years over Derby County forums and have these back and forth flirtations.

Warning removed, apology given.

It’s a minefield it really is, and if I ask anyone reading this to be a moderator, do yourself a favour and say no.

Interesting that you say that I don't have much of a filter - I do. What I don't have though is a very high tolerance for what I perceive to be 'deliberate ignorance'. My big problem with that though is that sometimes I assume that the ignorance is deliberate when it actually isn't.

On 11/03/2021 at 08:22, Chester40 said:

I largely agree.

I think it's perfectly ok to argue that just because something offends you doesn't make you right. Being upset by anything, now is immediately legitimised as offensive and you have the moral high ground. 

One question though. My eldest is going through the annoying know-it-all college phase. He said the other day 'comedy is about subverting your expectations'... Do ginger, Scottish or whatever jokes actually do that? I still laugh...but it made me think... 

Ooooh dear.

don’t ask him what art is all about or you might end up having to attack him with a spade. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Interesting that you say that I don't have much of a filter - I do. What I don't have though is a very high tolerance for what I perceive to be 'deliberate ignorance'. My big problem with that though is that sometimes I assume that the ignorance is deliberate when it actually isn't.

Poor choice of words on my part, but I agree with your self assessment ?

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Is it worth pointing out that so few comedians on tv have any real life experience anymore?

Look at the praise that This Country (rightly) got for the audacity of finding humour in normal people’s lives.

Which comedians are you thinking of who have no real life experience?

Is someone's life experience only real if they come from a working class, 'common' background?

I can only think you're talking about those who are simply kids of celebrities from the 80s/90s, but most of who seem to end up as presenters / reality TV 'actors' rather than comedians.

Edited by Coconut