The slow death of comedy and humour.

i-Ram

Sith Happens
14 hours ago, Philmycock said:

Comic relief, not very funny is it ? 

it really wasn't was it.

Guess it's a tough time but would have thought they could do better. 

On 11/03/2021 at 21:25, Phoenix said:

'It aint 'alf 'ot Mum' was never rescreened as far as I know. Don Estelle was extremely bitter about it. According to his obituary in The Independent, "in recent years Estelle cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his "Lofty" outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres."

Fortunately  I have the boxed set of DVDs

Yeah I saw him at Woolworths in oadby. 
he was wearing his khaki outfit with fluorescent orange socks......totally ignored by everyone.

Edited by RamNut

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

At least yesterday's events have taught us that those who sought to defend the right to joke about anything have discovered that there is indeed a line. You can't tell jokes that are disrespectful to the dead

Weird huh?

I thought your joke about George Floyd was hilarious and I don't see why everyone made such a big deal about it.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Time and a place. 

If only Phil would have heeded your advice on "time and place"......

During Prince Philip's last visit to India to mark the 50th anniversary of independence in 1997, he joined the Queen on a visit to Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar, Punjab, where the royals laid a commemorative wreath at the site associated with General Dyer's orders to open fire on a large Baisakhi gathering in April 1919.

"Two thousand? It wasn't, was it," he questioned, as he passed by a plaque at the memorial, which read This place is saturated with the blood of about two thousand Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims who were martyred in a non-violent struggle".

"That's wrong. I was in the Navy with Dyer's son. That's a bit exaggerated it must include the wounded," he is reported to have said.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If only Phil would have heeded your advice on "time and place"......

During Prince Philip's last visit to India to mark the 50th anniversary of independence in 1997, he joined the Queen on a visit to Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar, Punjab, where the royals laid a commemorative wreath at the site associated with General Dyer's orders to open fire on a large Baisakhi gathering in April 1919.

"Two thousand? It wasn't, was it," he questioned, as he passed by a plaque at the memorial, which read This place is saturated with the blood of about two thousand Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims who were martyred in a non-violent struggle".

"That's wrong. I was in the Navy with Dyer's son. That's a bit exaggerated it must include the wounded," he is reported to have said.

Maybe he should, I’m not out to defend him, just the right for members to post their condolences if they so which in a topic dedicated to his death.

Same applies to any politician, musician, film star when topics are open as you don’t know how they may have had an effect on their lives.

It’s just being respectful to other members that use this forum.

I don’t feel comfortable deciding who’s death can and can’t be joked about.

So it looks like we're agreeing that there is a time and a place for attempts at humour, and we have to make an effort to understand the audience, and respect the fact that some audience members may find the joke hurtful or upsetting

I therefore declare reports  of the death of comedy to be greatly exaggerated

It's all about knowing your audience. It goes back to the old saying, if you don't like it then don't watch it. The options are out there on all kinds of media, you're never stuck for choice.

• 3 months later...

Very few things are genuinely funny. The laughter generated by comedians or TV shows is all faked or forced. Social conformity is why you laugh. You want to fit in with others in the audience.

If you listen to some old live comedy show from the 1940s or 1950s on something like Radio 4 Extra you wonder why on earth they are laughing. That's because you are socially distant from them. There is no peer pressure and you listen objectively. You are the child who sees the Emperor has no clothes.

You people who say this or that is hilarious are kidding yourselves.

21 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Very few things are genuinely funny. The laughter generated by comedians or TV shows is all faked or forced. Social conformity is why you laugh. You want to fit in with others in the audience.

If you listen to some old live comedy show from the 1940s or 1950s on something like Radio 4 Extra you wonder why on earth they are laughing. That's because you are socially distant from them. There is no peer pressure and you listen objectively. You are the child who sees the Emperor has no clothes.

Blimey. And I thought I was a miserable sod.

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

Which thread?

No need to review Bud. My joke was along the lines that Hitler had more joy one night in Coventry than the Rams have had over many number of years. Some will find it funny, some won’t. Some might perhaps find it offensive, particularly if they had a friend or relative affected by the bombing. Let me say now I am not mocking anyone who died 80 years ago in Coventry. I am not inhuman. In fact I feel really sorry for anyone who has had to live the last 80 years in Coventry.

58 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

No need to review Bud. My joke was along the lines that Hitler had more joy one night in Coventry than the Rams have had over many number of years. Some will find it funny, some won’t. Some might perhaps find it offensive, particularly if they had a friend or relative affected by the bombing. Let me say now I am not mocking anyone who died 80 years ago in Coventry. I am not inhuman. In fact I feel really sorry for anyone who has had to live the last 80 years in Coventry.

I don't know if that is funny or not. I don't find much funny nowadays, but your post has reminded me of something I was told years ago. I used to work with a guy in the early 1970s who said that during the war he could see Coventry burning from Derby. He wasn't the type to make things up but I found that hard to believe.  I wonder if someone a bit smarter than me can say if that was possible.

5 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

Now THAT was funny!