Christopher Hugh Martin Fan Club

Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Chris Martin? Bradley Johnson? 

Can’t think of many others, especially not from last season which is where the argument of the squad being poor has come from? Can you think of many (or any) others?

I just find it funny how we often bemoan ‘the lack of quality’ in our squad and we deflect blame for results onto the ‘poor players’ to defend the manager. It’s not a recent trend at all.

Then at the same time, former players of ours - many of whom our fans were happy to see the back of and many of whom were not considered good enough to even make our bench - are starting for Championship teams.

Look at Pearce, Bennett and Malone at Millwall. Weimann and Paterson at Bristol City. Bradley Johnson at Blackburn. Even Nugent was a regular for Preston last year.

My point is not that I’d want them back. My point is that I don’t think some of our fans appreciate what a fortunate position we are in when it comes the quality of player we can attract and what a competitive advantage we have compared to other clubs in the division.

Yet we’ll quickly turn around and call the squad bang average and whatever else, almost oblivious to the fact that there are other clubs in the division trying to compete on a budget that wouldn’t make waves in League One.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I just find it funny how we often bemoan ‘the lack of quality’ in our squad and we deflect blame for results onto the ‘poor players’ to defend the manager. It’s not a recent trend at all.

Then at the same time, former players of ours - many of whom our fans were happy to see the back of and many of whom were not considered good enough to even make our bench - are starting for Championship teams.

Look at Pearce, Bennett and Malone at Millwall. Weimann and Paterson at Bristol City. Bradley Johnson at Blackburn. Even Nugent was a regular for Preston last year.

My point is not that I’d want them back. My point is that I don’t think some of our fans appreciate what a fortunate position we are in when it comes the quality of player we can attract and what a competitive advantage we have compared to other clubs in the division.

Yet we’ll quickly turn around and call the squad bang average and whatever else, almost oblivious to the fact that there are other clubs in the division trying to compete on a budget that wouldn’t make waves in League One.

Interesting to see how many that leave considered bang average by some of our fans have gone on or go on to play in promotion to prem sides , there in lies the argument as our target and fan expectation is promotion ,that said it’s about blend and many other factors in producing a team who go up 

Martin is a good example ,we all ( most) know he’s a decent player but there’s been a lot of water flowed under the bridge at Derby over the last few years with him, he’s moved and it’s clear the move has been very good for him at this point , I’m very happy for him as he’s been a good player for us ,he could easily have stayed and things turn sour if he wasn’t first choice or hit poor form 
its football and happens all the time to bigger and better names than Martin 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

but there’s been a lot of water flowed under the bridge at Derby over the last few years with him, he’s moved and it’s clear the move has been very good for him at this point , I’m very happy for him as he’s been a good player for us ,he could easily have stayed and things turn sour if he wasn’t first choice or hit poor form 

You mean like it did last season? ? 

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Don't agree on this. With one or two exceptions, and they are one or two, average players with us have gone on to be average players at other clubs. Where I do feel there has been a problem is that too often (kind of obviously, given where we are) we've replaced them with similar or worse.

Weimann is probably an exception, he's a better player, better finisher and more valued squad member than he was with us. Johnson you could argue is just doing what he always did but probably on a more sensible salary. Neither Bennett nor Malone have played for Milwall, Nugent scored one in 24 for Preston last season - if you're missing that then I have nothing more to say.

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Don't agree on this. With one or two exceptions, and they are one or two, average players with us have gone on to be average players at other clubs. Where I do feel there has been a problem is that too often (kind of obviously, given where we are) we've replaced them with similar or worse.

Weimann is probably an exception, he's a better player, better finisher and more valued squad member than he was with us. Johnson you could argue is just doing what he always did but probably on a more sensible salary. Neither Bennett nor Malone have played for Milwall, Nugent scored one in 24 for Preston last season - if you're missing that then I have nothing more to say.

Bennett has played in every Millwall game so far, assisting 2.

Malone has played in all league games and 1 cup game, scoring once.

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean like it did last season? ? 

Nope I mean like over a long period , the last few years have not of the Martin saga have neither been good for Derby or the player ,hence why Derby put a value on his new contract and Martin put a value on a move ,,, let’s be honest we could say it’s early days at Bristol and new broom ect ,let’s judge over the length of his contract but I’m not really up for that as I wish the lad well

51 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bennett has played in every Millwall game so far, assisting 2.

Malone has played in all league games and 1 cup game, scoring once.

God bless Wikipedia then. Still, if anyone thinks Bennett and Malone are the answer I'd suggest you are clearly comfortable watching bottom half Championship football.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Nope I mean like over a long period , the last few years have not of the Martin saga have neither been good for Derby or the player ,hence why Derby put a value on his new contract and Martin put a value on a move ,,, let’s be honest we could say it’s early days at Bristol and new broom ect ,let’s judge over the length of his contract but I’m not really up for that as I wish the lad well

I don't get this,every year he has been available for the club (i.e not on loan) he had been a great player for us...when he's out on loan,he can hardly do well for the club.

Last season he was almost peak Martin again,amazing really as he recovered from an illness.

Undoubtedly,had had stayed he would be playing as well as he has for bristol as his fitness continued to improve.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

On 11/10/2020 at 09:42, BaaLocks said:

Neither Bennett or Malone have played for Millwall? Really,? I think you should re-check that.

Chris Martin currently has more assists for Bristol City (4) than the entire Barcelona squad.

I've just seen Bristol fans describing him as a class above and a cut above in terms of his clever hold up play.

I am really really pleased for him, was my favourite striker at the club since Sturridge and he should have retired here.

If only we had used the money we tried to pay to Dursun/Austin/Kazim-Richards and gave him the 2 years he wanted.

Go Chris Martin.

We have blundered continously with Martin, letting him go out and loans, and now letting him go on a free.

We dont know what he wanted or what Bristol are paying him but we are missing him a lot.

38 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Chris Martin currently has more assists for Bristol City (4) than the entire Barcelona squad.

I've just seen Bristol fans describing him as a class above and a cut above in terms of his clever hold up play.

I am really really pleased for him, was my favourite striker at the club since Sturridge and he should have retired here.

If only we had used the money we tried to pay to Dursun/Austin/Kazim-Richards and gave him the 2 years he wanted.

Go Chris Martin.

I think he did. To Bristol.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

We have blundered continously with Martin, letting him go out and loans, and now letting him go on a free.

We dont know what he wanted or what Bristol are paying him but we are missing him a lot.

It’s a shame he wanted to leave the Derby area with his new missus 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Go Chris Martin.

I’d be surprised if Messi had any assists for Bristol, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, tinman said:

It’s a shame he wanted to leave the Derby area with his new missus 

First i have heard of this...George Thornes barber not been at it again has he?