Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

Best PW managed game end of. 

Bristol had chances but after 24 minutes we started to gel and looked comfortable at the back and aggressive up front.

Great performances all around and once are injured players are available and our new loans are good to go , our squad is much stronger and I look forward to the next match after the international break.🐏

Edited by Jortat

I enjoyed that. hard to pick out a MOM as everyone played their part including the fans. By contrast Bristol City made a bit of noise at the beginning, but seemed to be in stunned silence all of the second half. I was a little worried that Bird and Knight would come back to haunt us, but they looked a shadow of their former selves. Another beer or two are calling, enjoy your evening fellow rams.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wow what a performance tbat was.

Started off abit shaky with JWZ keeping us in it but a tactical change by Warne midway through the 1st half changed the game.

That is the most dominant midfield display ive seen from us in a long time, they struggled to beat Ozoh & if they did Adams was there sweeping up. No shock really that we over ran a midfield consisting of Bird & Knight

Yates was top class leading the line & Kenzo showed his class... long may performances like that continue!

What was the change? 

1 minute ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I enjoyed that. hard to pick out a MOM as everyone played their part including the fans. By contrast Bristol City made a bit of noise at the beginning, but seemed to be in stunned silence all of the second half. I was a little worried that Bird and Knight would come back to haunt us, but they looked a shadow of their former selves. Another beer or two are calling, enjoy your evening fellow rams.

Feels like today was the day that the upset and embarrassment of administration, relegation,  financial restrictions etc etc were finally put behind us.

We had a big crowd, exciting players and a sound financial footing. 

Really massive result.  

34 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Seems the City fans are asking the same question! 🏁😁

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/226700-jason-knight/

It's reassuring after all these years of saying it ourselves that the debate is still "what is Knight actually good at?" and "is Bird a 6, 8 or 10?".

I'd still have them both back in a heartbeat though.

Lovely to see PW not looking like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders in his post-game prezzer. I said a couple of weeks back that he looked completely exhausted. Concerningly so IMO. Like a man re-born this evening though and it's really good to see.

IAs for the game, well in the same way that 3 games is not enough to assess a new squad of players, one win doesn't make a season, but I do hope this proves to be something of a watershed moment, for the lads and all the coaching staff. Likewise the man who sits behind it all, DC. I bet he absolutely loved that performance and I couldn't be happier for him. Need to back it up now though, but I do feel that perhaps my early season confidence was not as misplaced as it felt the other night. I really hope so anyway.

Well done Warney, well done the lads, 1 through 11 you were bloody brilliant. Today it finally felt like we'd exorcised the demons of our recent past and perhaps now we really can look forward to a brighter future.

COYR

Pleasantly surprised by this win, still think we need a striker and may get a free agent. Wins like this will make players want to come here. 

Having a powerful hard running midfield makes a huge difference, and playing against Bird and Knight highlighted that. Let’s hope Elder can stay fit.

Most pleasing was that at 1-0 we didn’t turn into the Alamo part iii, but instead went on to play better football and score two more. Still need to work on possession as we won’t score 3 goals from 35% many times.

Edited by Matchday Fred

3 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

It's reassuring after all these years of saying it ourselves that the debate is still "what is Knight actually good at?" and "is Bird a 6, 8 or 10?".

I'd still have them both back in a heartbeat though.

To be fair he seemed to sit as a DM for most of the game, which just isn't his position.

We were all worried about Bird and Knight in this one, but based on today's performance along, Bristol were rinsed for their transfer fees.

I had us down to win this one 2-0, especially after the dress at Barrow. You can never write off this Derby team under Warne. They always bounce back. 

6 points from 6 at home and the away performances against Blackburn and Watford both had big positives.

I've said it a few times now but we're going to be alright this season. Not glamorous but effective enough to get 50+ points without really struggling. 

That's the objective and I back Warne and the players to deliver it.

Absolutely brilliant team performance, hard to pick anyone out, but I'd like to mention Elder as he has had a bit of stick at times. Best game for us I think. I was worried about Max and Jason coming  back to haunt us, but maybe the occasion got the better of them? Crowd was fantastic. Loved every minute! COYR!

Back home now and catching up on this thread. It’s not often I can say I enjoyed watching Derby, I’m usually too tense, but I absolutely it today.

First 20/25 mins were a bit hairy but our hunky Swede kept us in it. He seems like a bit of a monster in one-on-ones. The goal really got our tails up and we played some lovely football. The midfield 3 had a lovely balance today, Ebou was anggressive and all over the pitch and Ozoh is such a talent. Not sure I can remember a 19 year old with such strength, he seems to barge his way through challenges and come out with the ball. Kenzo had a great game, he’s a lovely little player and a hard so and so, loved that challenge on their player to win a throw in second half.

Jackson is proving why the Ipswich fans said we’d love him, he’s a proper 100%er. And Yates makes a big difference compared to our other forwards. They all work hard but he’s got extra quality and links up with runners.

Lastly, what an amazing atmosphere. We’ve moved seats to the top of the SW corner and it was deafening, the support was unreal. I said to my lad, the new signings must be loving this. Ozoh certainly was, he was last off the pitch and seemed to be lapping it up.