Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

49 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

Said to my pal second half, Kenzo reminds me so much of Baiano and Eranio...in the way he controls the ball, his movement on and off the ball, not the biggest player but highly intelligent finding passes and space and connecting play, not scared to put the effort in to win the ball back either. With him, Ozoh and Adams it's almost like the Jim Smith setup Carsley, Powell and Eranio...two enforcers and a playmaker. Just my view, but it was a delight to watch yesterday.

Exactly. Its that same blend, the classic blend for a midfield

For me that was the best performance since Warne has been in charge. First 20 minutes and we were under the cosh a bit, they had plenty of the ball and a couple of decent saves from our new Swedish lunatic plus some stoic defending kept them at bay. Then we started to get a foothold in the game and began to play a bit of football. And grew in confidence. So I wasn’t surprised when we scored and after we did there was only one team in it.

There are a few candidates for MOM. Kenzo, Ozoh, Yates, Zetterström. But for me it has to be Ebou. The graft he got through when we were under the cosh was unbelievable. Then his work rate thoughout the whole game. Never stopped running, harrying, chasing, getting crucial tackles in and then starting the play. His energy was incredible. There have been so many occasions in recent years where we’ve been bullied by teams so it was great to see us doing the bullying. The way he and Ozoh pivoted just worked and this allowed our other players to do what they do. They are some pairing.

In the end we could have had four or five and Brizzle couldn’t have complained.

Ok, one swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that. But we said that after the Boro game. This performance set down a marker and showed what this team is capable of. It won’t always be like today and sure it’s going to be a tough season. But this team with its work ethic, never say die attitude and capacity to bounce back, I can see a few more swallows taking to the air.

Edited by Earl of Tupton

2 minutes ago, archram said:

Reading through this and how people are describing the way the team works, I wonder if, as well as athletic players, PW likes to sign players with some football intelligence - or both.

I think the players PW signs have to tick a lot of boxes.

character

ability to run for 120 minutes 

grit and determination 

plus many others

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Although Bristol played some nice football I think they would struggle in Division one, the side of their game that is missing is the determination and grit that we had to show to get out Division one, its a lesson that we need  to ensure that we don't forget. 

If you can play nice football and still retain the determination and grit then, you have a good side which will be difficult to beat. 

I think that's a good point about League 1. Partly because I felt it was such a weak division last season, it taught our players a lot about being on it week in, week out. You simply could not afford an off day. Especially because we had our awful start to the season, so were playing catchup through to the very end. Relentless. "Determination and grit" everywhere. If we can carry that through into this campaign, it will stand us in very good stead. 

11 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Also that Scott Twine is the moaniest little t*** I’ve seen at pride park for a long time, he was like a spoilt child who didn’t get what they wanted. Love how Ozoh bullied him all game.

Even some of the Bristol fans are saying this and how lucky he was not to get at least one booking.

Slightly off topic and I hate to kill the mood, but I am wondering how folk feel  about people using drugs at games. Quite a few seemed like they might be a bit worse for wear and one in particular looked like he needed 6 months in rehab. Very sad to see....

Rammy.jpg

Edited by Comrade 86

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

This was the game I had pencilled in for our early season trip up from Cornwall. Then my brother decided to visit us instead!  

So of course it’s our best performance and biggest win in months!

Absolutely thrilled for Warne, the players and everyone associated with the club, but especially for @Chris_Martin and @DCFC Kicks.

They always said Warne would come good and turn us into the Brazil of the Championship, didn’t they?

Difficult for me to comment too much on the performance as i also couldnt make it to this game. However, having watched the full highlights back, i have to say, finally i was impressed. Results to one side, its the first time in around 18 months i've actually enjoyed the performance from the team. There seemed to be much more about us than the usual crossing it in over and over. Bristol City had some chances, and we needed a few big saves from Zetterstrom. 21 attempts on goal today is probably as many as we've had all season, so nice to see us having a go for a change. Amazing really how we can go from being knocked out by Barrow 4 days ago, to a performance like that. If warne can keep improving like this he may well win my support back, but i'll use a phrase you've often said over the last 12-18 months, lets not overreact to one game.

30 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Difficult for me to comment too much on the performance as i also couldnt make it to this game. However, having watched the full highlights back, i have to say, finally i was impressed. Results to one side, its the first time in around 18 months i've actually enjoyed the performance from the team. There seemed to be much more about us than the usual crossing it in over and over. Bristol City had some chances, and we needed a few big saves from Zetterstrom. 21 attempts on goal today is probably as many as we've had all season, so nice to see us having a go for a change. Amazing really how we can go from being knocked out by Barrow 4 days ago, to a performance like that. If warne can keep improving like this he may well win my support back, but i'll use a phrase you've often said over the last 12-18 months, lets not overreact to one game.

If it had been down to some though he wouldn’t still be here, we could have been watching Warnockball.😳

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think that's a good point about League 1. Partly because I felt it was such a weak division last season, it taught our players a lot about being on it week in, week out. You simply could not afford an off day. Especially because we had our awful start to the season, so were playing catchup through to the very end. Relentless. "Determination and grit" everywhere. If we can carry that through into this campaign, it will stand us in very good stead. 

Grit and Determination is an expensive lesson to learn🐏🐏

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Slightly off topic and I hate to kill the mood, but I am wondering how folk feel  about people using drugs at games. Quite a few seemed like they might be a bit worse for wear and one in particular looked like he needed 6 months in rehab. Very sad to see....

Rammy.jpg

Ewie stitched up that poor kid in the half time obstacle race. Felt for the lad.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

There’s no overreaction here. I am just enjoying back to back home wins against what many would consider to be top half opposition. Many had expected us to lose both games and comfortably so. If we can’t enjoy that, what’s the point? Don’t let your misgivings over the manager and the style of play cloud everything.

To my mind, every game is a tough one for us, so would it surprise me if Cardiff did a number on us in two weeks’ time? No, it wouldn’t. It’s the nature of the division. They are a good side who finished mid table last season but have simply started poorly. They won’t be fish food. In typical Derby fashion, the next game has Derby 0-1 Cardiff etched all over it.

Realistically this season will ebb and flow and we are probably not going to see consistency in performances and results, because where the likes of Bristol City and Boro struggled, others will find a way. We just have to take the rough with the smooth and stay with the team, not waiting to be won over like a scorned lover.

Personally I am encouraged by what I’ve seen so far because we are giving it everything and there is consistency in desire, application and fight and moments of promise everywhere else. It has been far from perfect but what I would say is that there have been positives and useful lessons to take from every game.