Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

Its almost like even though none of that mob remain bar Fozzy, that the spirit of those bottled playoff finals somehow lives on in the club, even under new ownership. This is what Mel Morris actually meant about the 'Derby way' 

Not a doom merchant but the game management is shocking, play with no urgency or tempo. Terrible substitutions and tactical decisions. It has been the same all season. I remember Warne saying he loves a good throw in yet we must be the worst in the league at them  

We’re second in the league but on the whole a forgettable season with very few highlights. How many promotion worthy performances have we put in???

So so so disappointing. To say we have a team who know what it takes to get out the league and fail to take advantage against teams like Northampton and Wycombe is inexcusable. 

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Bolton have to play arguably the best two sides in the league in Portsmouth and Peterborough.

If Bolton lose on Saturday and we win, it’s back in our hands…plenty of twists and turns yet. 

Trying to look on the bright side, even if Bolton manage a draw on Saturday and we win, it will be back in our hands again. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Some predictably reactionary comments after a goalless away draw.

If we'd have got beaten jeez, doesn't even bear worth thinking about. Teddies flying out of prams all over the forum. 

Did you watch it? 

People aren’t angry at the result. They’re angry at watching an absolutely awful performance when we need players standing up and being counted. 

I had us down for 10 points out of our last 4 so the draw is no odds but I can’t see how a team in second with 3 matches left can be outplayed so easily in the second half. Especially when we’ve had a week on the training ground and more legs. 

The waning rational part of me thinks that the other sides have still got to go some to take second spot by the end of the season, given the fixtures they've got. And even if we fail at the autos there's still the play offs etc. I confess this is getting to be a much smaller part of my feelings about this season!

The much larger part of me is absolutely furious with everyone at the club for failing to take the countless opportunities we've had to put us out of sight. Some of the points we've squandered have been simply inexcusable. My gut says we're destined to throw it away.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

If we'd have got beaten jeez, doesn't even bear worth thinking about. Teddies flying out of prams all over the forum. 

And here is why: as I said a few comments ago, we should have been clear in top place ages ago, but because of gutless performances and absolutely terrible formations and tactics we are now asking our rivals for favours. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Sorry would usually agree, but that performance with three games to go…they deserve a bit of a kicking because there’s no excuses. It’s not about the result, it’s the performance.

3 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

What about the subs? Blackett t for hourihane when your looking for a goal should of just give him a red card and told hourihane to stay comfy 

The Hourihane sub made some sense, we took off the ineffective CBT and changed shape which got Wilson further up the pitch. The delay to make any further changes is the bit I’m more irked by. But I’m not putting it all on Warne, collectively it wasn’t good enough tonight from those on the pitch and off it. 
Credit to the fans who were singing throughout and doing their bit. 

Just now, YouRams said:

We looked all over the place at times but blame still lies with the players for me, gutless performance and can't excuse those missed chances.

I also agree its down to the players as well but warne has to get them going! Every time we get to this point we throw it away! Tatically we were poor a few good chances yes but everytime we have a break we look s*it we are better not being on a training ground and just playing everyday 

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Typical Warne play. Hoofball and avoidance of playing through midfield ruled our play this evening . Not enough of our players in the opposition penalty area. and crosses from wide going to nobody. 

This is correct …there were times when we got forward and I saw 1 maybe 2 players in the box …with 4/5 Wycombe players …why aren’t our players busting to get into the box….if we don’t go up please let’s get someone else in ffs because we are embarrassing at times …that total c*** up at the back with Wildsmith just about summed us up …

Adam’s was the only player for me tonight who I thought really put his body on the line …Smith and Cash were also good enough tonight but the rest were awful including CBT 

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m usually one trying to be rational about these things, but that performance at this time of the season bordered disgusting for me. Lazy passing, headless running, poor touches…and that was just Kane Wilson who gave one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a derby shirt this season. Don’t like singling out players for criticism, rarely do it, but for all his ‘Jack the lad’ persona not enough quality shines through when it matters. 

Within the context of the season and where we are, it was shockingly bad. I could have wax lyrical for hours about how good Derby were last week and every inch of praise was deserved. They lost all that goodwill tonight.

I’ve got very little more I can say, it’s not that they haven’t won but the attitude/performance for where we are in the season was so below par.

I think we have to remember in an ideal world neither sibley or wilson would be our full backs 

niambe one side and probs foz the other if we had a fully fit sqaud.

but we dont so warnes kinda trying to make things work with what hes got 

PG Wodehouse from the back of Couhig’s ambulance.

Ah, what a tumultuous tale unfolds at Gussy Finknottles Manor House! If one were to imagine the Derby County players partaking in a pheasant shoot, it appears every bird would have danced away unscathed, much like a troupe of nimble ballerinas. Indeed, the first half saw chances abundant, enough to secure victory in not one, but two football matches! Alas, the sporting fates had other designs, as CBT’s astonishing miss, akin to a comet veering off course, shall surely earn him a place on “Stars in their Eyes” as the inimitable Stevie Wonder—a sensible decision, one might say. How badly we miss the Padel maestro Gayle.

Washington and NML, though possessing the grace of swans, faltered in the crucial moments of goal-scoring, while set pieces resembled naught but a casual gathering in the local park. However, amidst the chaos, Adams and Cashin displayed the fortitude of knights, with Wildsmith executing a save so sublime it could rouse applause from the heavens.

Yet, the day’s misfortunes commenced with news of manager and player of the month awards, invoking the dreaded gypsy curse, casting Rams TV pundits, Barker and Bradley as mere manikins sprung from the confines of a Topshop window. Oh, the travails of fate!

As the stage is set for the final three encounters, one cannot help but wonder: shall the Rams ascend to heroic heights, or shall they falter, like a poorly tuned instrument? Only time will unfurl this gripping drama, as we await the denouement with bated breath.

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Not a doom merchant but the game management is shocking, play with no urgency or tempo. Terrible substitutions and tactical decisions. It has been the same all season. I remember Warne saying he loves a good throw in yet we must be the worst in the league at them  

We’re second in the league but on the whole a forgettable season with very few highlights. How many promotion worthy performances have we put in???

So so so disappointing. To say we have a team who know what it takes to get out the league and fail to take advantage against teams like Northampton and Wycombe is inexcusable. 

I think at times there was too much urgency and tempo. There was a distinct lack of control and composure.

I agree with your second and third paragraphs. It's not all down to the manager though as some seem to be constantly suggesting. Very much shared responsibility as far as I'm concerned.