Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m not sure how calling this fixture a Championship one next season can be deemed negative. 

We are going up. 

As I mentioned in a reply to you the other week, there’s an aloofness to your posts that seems inexplicable. It’s your opinion that it will be a relegation 6 pointer in the championship next season, no one knows that for sure as yet either due to the season still ongoing and/or the changes that could occur to playing staff and management of either club in the summer. And yet you post it as a statement, again, fine it’s your opinion…it may even be a probable one, but it is not a given.

We almost completely nulified them second half, only conceding to a wonderstrike after a handball. We restricted them to 2 shots on goal in the second half, their fewest all season. So I don't think that the second half tactics were that bad, if we'd pressed higher up the pitch, there would have been much more space for them to exploit, we may have lost the game.

I don't criticise the ref for the handball incident, but surely the linesman was in a perfect position to see it, even their player's reaction indicated that it hit his arm.

Good point in the end that. Got undone by a screamer which can happen.

But on another night they could score that open goal and get a penalty (if that was us, I'd want a penalty for what Wilson did) it definitely falls into the category of "I've seen them given" and I would agree with Curtis Davies in that if it's anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul. 

But we defended well, held our shape well and it was a good away performance.

Now we've got 8 days to rest. A luxury no other team is getting.

I think 3 wins will do the job now. That would mean Bolton need 4 wins and a draw from their last 5 games. Which I just cannot see them getting.

If we can go to Wycombe and get a result, it will take the pressure off slightly for the remaining 3 games. 

Hoping Bristol Rovers can do us a massive favour on Saturday, but they seem to be on the beach, so I'm not hopeful.

Another thing with the result today, it means that Pompey can go up with a win at Bolton. So they'll still have something to play for.

Maybe have Bird, Gayle and Barkhuizen back for Wycombe away too. Who hopefully will have a Wembley hangover.

We can do it.

Up The Rams!

6 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Good point,but 2 points lost due to the persistent dropping off.we have the players,not sure we have the tactics for automatic promotion,fingers crossed 

Automatic promotion will be decided on which team accumulates the most points between now and the end of the season.

Not sure what tactics have got anything to do with that at all tbh

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Where else should I post? There are enough spam threads about.

My opinion on Warne isn’t even that drastic. I’ve seen far worse on here.

I apologise for having higher expectations and wanting to play a better brand of football.

When you look at Plymouth and Sheff Wed struggling up there, it doesn’t bode well playing like this at League One level.

Please darkfruits🙏

26 minutes ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Very good point.

They didn’t trouble us 2nd half so frustrating not to hold out, but I’ll take it.

A very controlled away performance. Our shape and discipline out of possession is outstanding.

Also a shout out to the referee. He was excellent. 

The referee had a great game, he refereed it sensibly for the conditions and for the occasion.  

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You were banned before for admitting to deliberate WUMing. Settle down. The banhammer is twitching.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

do it jewish GIF

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

(Only joking... ish... for the more sensitive souls amongst you).

Edited by LazloW

Just got in from work and caught the highlights. Very good point, would have taken before kickoff. Could be the vital point come the end of 46 games. 

Unfortunately Wildsmith is and has been for a while now a liability coming for balls he shouldn't be etc, cracking hit from Moxon but I think Wildsmith should have done better. 

6 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

You trolled, you got your bites. Stop insulting folk's intelligence by pretending your initial post was anything but flat out trolling. You've done it time and time again recently and you f****** know it.

I've put him on 'ignore' so many times, but I always relent a few months later.

It's almost as though I need to read someone else's batshit insanity every now and again to convince me that I'm not losing my own marbles (yet).

Now to a (in my opinion) non-controversial point - I would have taken that scoreline before the game. No arguments or recriminations from me about possible offsides or handballs regarding the Pompey goals - that's football, and things, by and large, average out over a season.

For anyone feeling negative I'd argue the following.

This is our second season following a significant meltdown off the pitch which resulted in obvious repercussions on it. We've consolidated and are now in a good position to return to the Championship. 

We have a sensible owner who genuinely loves the club and who has a desire to see the academy excel. He also isn't an egotistical and confrontational fool.

The squad we have will, I suspect, be subject to much change during the summer as the restrictions end. The style of play may well turn towards something a little easier on the eye as a result. It's all about getting out of this division and recruiting well before 24/25.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

For all the outrage, without proper surgery to either team (and even then) this is most likely to be correct. 

Ipswich have done well, but there is a drastic difference between what we saw from them and ourselves (and Portsmouth). Fortunately, I feel that the management and club are very much aware that is the case and will do what is required to be as competitive as possible. 

Sheffield Wednesday last season were a better team than both of us, and they weren’t great, they’re in a relegation battle. Plymouth, also, in a relegation battle. We have to respect what we are walking into, should we get promoted. 

It will be interesting to see what Warne has to work with this summer. I don’t think many are naive enough to think our current set will do any more than struggle. 

We have conceded a lot of goals against the better teams in League One, especially away from home. I think that is now 11 in the 5 games at Pompey, Bolton, Barnsley, Posh and Stevenage.

Is that down to Warne or what is at his disposal?

The gulf between Barnsley and Bristol City is pretty big, let alone Barnsley and Southampton.

If we’re going to struggle, I think it’s far easier getting on board if we play a better brand of football. 

But would better players result in Warne’s football being easier on the eye? I personally don’t see it but if he proves me wrong I’ll hold my hands up.

I did say on Friday that if we won tonight we’d win the league but fair play Mousinho has done an exceptional job, in addition to being well backed. Another great, young British coach. Pompey might struggle to keep him too long next season once the managerial merry-go-round starts up.  Expecting us to be a point ahead of Bolton after Saturday, so backing up tonight with a win at Wankcombe is vital.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Automatic promotion will be decided on which team accumulates the most points between now and the end of the season.

Not sure what tactics have got anything to do with that at all tbh

You’re right of course, but Bolton and the others have to accumulate more. The others have to exceed us. We have to equal them.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It will be interesting to see what Warne has to work with this summer. I don’t think many are naive enough to think our current set will do any more than struggle. 

We have conceded a lot of goals against the better teams in League One, especially away from home. I think that is now 11 in the 5 games at Pompey, Bolton, Barnsley, Posh and Stevenage.

Is that down to Warne or what is at his disposal?

The gulf between Barnsley and Bristol City is pretty big, let alone Barnsley and Southampton.

If we’re going to struggle, I think it’s far easier getting on board if we play a better brand of football. 

But would better players result in Warne’s football being easier on the eye? I personally don’t see it but if he proves me wrong I’ll hold my hands up.

If he gets us up I think Warne deserves a chance in the Championship. But let’s get up first.

38 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A mention to Sibley, a shaky first 10/15 but after that he did very well against one of the best wingers in the league. 

Bizarrely, I think they tried to play the ball over the top to their winger and it helped Sibley read it better, he just had to allow space and let the ball zip out; which he did a few times very well.

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I doubt this will be done by the last game, the Carlisle one promises to be a tense home game. 

Reckon plenty would still take that given the atmosphere we’ve created lately and how we’re getting results at home. Know I would and fully expect us to do the job now 👍