Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

Just now, OoooMarkWright said:

Why high press??

Just because Man City and Liverpool do it, does it mean everyone does? Our shape and discipline were outstanding. We were comfortable. They created nothing. There was no space, everything was in front. Just because they had 70 odd percent possession means nothing. We were not holding on. We were sitting deep, but they were getting frustrated. A wonder strike was the difference. A high press is what they would want, opening gaps to exploit. 

Its a wet pitch and players slipping left right and centre you put press on them it make it hard im not on about having the ball but being behind the ball all the second half we gave them too much respect

1 minute ago, jono said:

You need to understand that Bris in his long and active career in the upper echelons of journalism and football (including a minor ( declared to the EFL) shareholding in Melchester Rovers when they were in the Champions league) qualifies him to run a football club with his unique insight in to tactics, management, finance, transfers and business management. Follow his lead and suggestions and we’ll be in Europe within 4 years. He doesn’t have opinions like the rest of us. He is a sage, a font of all wisdom, Fergy, Wenger Jose, hung on every word 

You flatter me 😘

4 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I'm not a Warne basher at all but imo he's had a stinker, Collins shouldn't of been on the pitch still being on a yellow and you're asking for trouble sitting back. We looked really good going forward in the first half best I've seen us in a long time so it's frustrating we didn't continue to go at them in the second.

That’s still a long way from being “a stinker” in my opinion. The context is that they have won their last 5 home games with an average score of 3-1. 

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Where else should I post? There are enough spam threads about.

My opinion on Warne isn’t even that drastic. I’ve seen far worse on here.

I apologise for having higher expectations and wanting to play a better brand of football.

When you look at Plymouth and Sheff Wed struggling up there, it doesn’t bode well playing like this at League One level.

You trolled, you got your bites. Stop insulting folk's intelligence by pretending your initial post was anything but flat out trolling. You've done it time and time again recently and you f****** know it.

a tad frustrated that we lost a lead twice... but no way is a draw a bad result.  

A cracking first half as a spectacle, and an almost classic away holding job second half.  Nervy throughout, and kind of relieved in the end.

If I'd have read the script before kick off, and new the outcome, it would have got a massive thumbs up from me. We may not have strictly played for a draw, but that draw may be the point that takes us over the line.

A very, very good night.

Well done, Super Rams.

28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

This will be a relegation six-pointer next season in the Championship.

For all the outrage, without proper surgery to either team (and even then) this is most likely to be correct. 

Ipswich have done well, but there is a drastic difference between what we saw from them and ourselves (and Portsmouth). Fortunately, I feel that the management and club are very much aware that is the case and will do what is required to be as competitive as possible. 

Sheffield Wednesday last season were a better team than both of us, and they weren’t great, they’re in a relegation battle. Plymouth, also, in a relegation battle. We have to respect what we are walking into, should we get promoted. 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Previously banned for Wumming. Allowed back by David.

Nothing wrong with second chances. But you lose the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not on here every hour that God sends so I wouldn't know, but even so who's to say that he's not being sincere this time? And everyone can just ignore him. That is within the capability of all other members of the forum, surely?

I'm sorry, but I just don't think declaring people to have sad lives is in keeping with the modern spirit of 'being kind'.

3 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Sitting 11 behind a ball when every player has been slipping all game and not put press on them yes! I was happy with a point before the game but we played into there hands collins to be defending for there goal wheres the midfield? In our fibal 1/4 of the pitch and they score because you only hald collins that far forward is shocking! 

I am not a happy clapper but Warne got most of it right tonight and I am proud of the team. Bolton now need 2 wins to get above us.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

For all the outrage, without proper surgery to either team (and even then) this is most likely to be correct. 

Ipswich have done well, but there is a drastic difference between what we saw from them and ourselves (and Portsmouth). Fortunately, I feel that the management and club are very much aware that is the case and will do what is required to be as competitive as possible. 

Sheffield Wednesday last season were a better team than both of us, and they weren’t great, they’re in a relegation battle. Plymouth, also, in a relegation battle. We have to respect what we are walking into, should we get promoted. 

Exactly. I'm very pleased with a point and well done to the lads, but this is a realistic assessment and shows the post wasn't necessarily winding people up.

Just now, Dcfcsr92 said:

Its a wet pitch and players slipping left right and centre you put press on them it make it hard im not on about having the ball but being behind the ball all the second half we gave them too much respect

Perhaps the pitch and conditions played a part in that? Plus our threadbare, injury affected squad. Did we have the fitness and legs to press them relentlessly, letting them have the ball with time seemed fairly effective, save for a tired/half-committed tackle and the subsequent wonder strike to equalise.

My only criticism of Warne tonight would be the timing of the subs, IF he’d taken Collins off for Washington earlier we could speculate that the ineffectiveness of the tackle from Collins is a non-event with a fresh legged Washington closing him down instead.

But that’s a theory. The reality is we got a good point at Portsmouth which puts us 4 points ahead of Bolton and 8 points ahead of Posh/Barnsley. Yes they’ve got games in hand but even if they win their respective games in hand we’re still ahead of them all. It’s in our hands, we’ve got 8 days to recover and prep for the next game. I’m still optimistic 🐏 

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I am not a happy clapper but Warne got most of it right tonight and I am proud of the team. Bolton now need 2 wins to get above us.

Im not being a p***k about it i just feel we gave them too much respect 2nd half and didnt put pressure on them, like i said before the game i was well happy to get a point but feel we gave them too much time second half and it cost us the win 

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m not sure how calling this fixture a Championship one next season can be deemed negative. 

We are going up. 

Damned by faint praise 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Outrage isn't the correct descriptor; we haven't even been promoted but already the OP is writing off next season in the Championship. 

Am sure he's fun at parties though. 

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Where else should I post? There are enough spam threads about.

My opinion on Warne isn’t even that drastic. I’ve seen far worse on here.

I apologise for having higher expectations and wanting to play a better brand of football.

When you look at Plymouth and Sheff Wed struggling up there, it doesn’t bode well playing like this at League One level.

Actually, do us all a favour and don't bother posting at all. 

PG Wodehouse from the Directors box.

Ah, what a jolly spectacle unfolded at Fratton Park this evening! One simply cannot help but marvel at the peculiar charm of this island oasis amidst the tumultuous seas of English football. As the rain hammered down upon the pitch, making it a more suitable surface for Torvill and Dean, it seemed as if the very essence of sporting drama had been distilled into this quaint corner of Portsea Island. Picture, if you will, the gallant clash between two titans of the game, Derby and their valiant hosts, engaged in a battle of wits and skill upon the hallowed turf.

Twice did Derby gallantly surge ahead, their spirits buoyed by the promise of victory, only to be thwarted by the indomitable Moxon, whose strike left Collins and Thompson resembling naught but ethereal phantoms vanishing with the dawn. Oh, how the Rams’ keeper, Wildsmith, must have felt as though he were soaring through the skies like the legendary Superman, yet clutching in his grasp a shard of Kryptonite, his nerves as shaken as a dry Martini in the hands of a trembling barman.

Ward, with his brace of goals, appeared poised to secure the coveted three points for his side, yet in the grand scheme of things, it was Derby’s prowess without possession that truly shone. Admirable in their defensive fortitude, they emerged from the fray with a well-earned point, a veritable jewel in their crown that may yet prove pivotal in the grand reckoning of the season.

And let us not forget the luminous Adams, whose brilliance on the field knows no bounds. One can only imagine the splendour of his performance when fully nourished, like a fine vintage reaching its peak. And what of CBT, growing sharper with each passing game, his assist a thing of beauty akin to a sly fox evading the hounds, waved on by the benevolent hand of Sonny Bradley.

In the end, it is Warne, contented with his hard-earned point, who leads his bobble-hatted charges forth into the final four games with spirits soaring as high as the lofty spires of Fratton Park. Oh, what joyous tales these grounds do tell, where the drama of the beautiful game unfolds with all the wit and whimsy of a tale spun by the master raconteur himself.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Perhaps the pitch and conditions played a part in that? Plus our threadbare, injury affected squad. Did we have the fitness and legs to press them relentlessly, letting them have the ball with time seemed fairly effective, save for a tired/half-committed tackle and the subsequent wonder strike to equalise.

My only criticism of Warne tonight would be the timing of the subs, IF he’d taken Collins off for Washington earlier we could speculate that the ineffectiveness of the tackle from Collins is a non-event with a fresh legged Washington closing him down instead.

But that’s a theory. The reality is we got a good point at Portsmouth which puts us 4 points ahead of Bolton and 8 points ahead of Posh/Barnsley. Yes they’ve got games in hand but even if they win their respective games in hand we’re still ahead of them all. It’s in our hands, we’ve got 8 days to recover and prep for the next game. I’m still optimistic 🐏 

Yes thats fair enough, but defending 45mins solid is alot harder then controling the play and making teams work harder to get the ball so theres more chance of injuries due to sprinting more to covering so if you won the ball more forward you could of kept the ball and taken pressure of the players trying to defend