Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

Tuesday, April 2nd, Kick-Off – 8.00pm

Head to Head:
Two grand old clubs who first met way back in 1902 in the FA Cup, a game that resulted in a rather unsatisfactory 0-0 bore draw. The replay at saw us winning the replay 6-3 which doubtless gave the early Rams faithful a little more to cheer. Since then, there’s not been a deal between the two sides, with Derby edging the charts with 42 wins to Pompey’s 35.

Games won: 42

Games drawn: 23

Games lost: 35

The Status Quo:
Well, it’s looking good right now my fellow rams. Likewise for Pompey, who do look near to uncatchable now, though there doubtless remain some happy clappers like yours truly who will still be hoping Portsmouth slip up and what better place for them to begin their demise than in front of their own fans on Tuesday evening? That said, Portsmouth have arguably been THE most consistent side in the division, steadily accumulating wins after a minor, mid-season wobble. It’s fair to say that while they’ve continued their good form, our post-Xmas wobble saw us fall back a little, though if we look at the last half dozen games, we’ve actually outpointed them, indeed only Lincoln, who seem to lay waste to every team they meet right now, can claim to be in better form than our own beloved Rams.

image.thumb.png.5039f8cce777706f490ec6fbeae28cbd.png

The Key Threats:
There’s little doubt that Cody Bishop is their main striking threat with 16 goals and 2 assists to his name this season, but Pompey can boast other threats, none less than Paddy Lane who has netted 11 times this season, also weighing in with 6 assists. Abu Kamara and Marlon pack have 8 assists a piece, so it’s fair to say that Pompey have multiple attacking threats and they promise to provide us with our toughest game of the season and one in which Nelson and Cashin will need to be absolutely on their A-game if we are to leave with Fratton Park with anything to show for the game.

Team News:
Like most, I was delighted to see Collo return to the fold so swiftly and he looked pretty damn sharp to be honest. Perhaps the ‘rest’ has actually done him well! This is critical as for me, Wash and Waggy look some way off their peak and I suppose, given their lack of games this year, that’s easy to understand.

I was also delighted to see Korey Smith start and for me, he has to stay in the starting 11. He’s not entirely dissimilar to Hourihane, but his mobility gives us more stability, though that said, we did again leave gaps between the press and our back line against Blackpool and if we do so again against Pompey, we might find ourselves in some bother.

With a considerable injury list still hampering his efforts, Warne will again need to marshal his troops carefully and I’d expect a cagey performance from both sides where moments of quality will likely settle the game, rather than one side establishing outright dominance. I’ll drop another update on injuries etc, on this thread nearer the game, but I’d be looking at something similar to what we saw yesterday, with a couple of tweaks:

Firstly, I’ve assumed Elder is once more broken and that we’ll therefore need to use Sibbo in the LB role again. I’d have preferred him starting higher up the pitch, but we have so many missing that it’s a case of needs must. In so much, the back 4 pick themselves.

I’ve kept the same midfield as last week, with Smith again taking the starting role and Conor set to figure later in the game. Adams remains on fire and simply has to start every match now. The only other tweak I’d use would be to play Wash in behind Collo, assuming Jimmy is able to manage 60 minutes at this point in his return. That gives us something like the line-up below, but I do expect this to change, as I very seldom guess Warne’s selection correctly and I’m also hopeful we’ll have one or two more to pick from. CBT, now with some minutes under his belt, appears to be finding some good form and despite our injury situation, we'll have some interesting bench options all the same and perhaps he might even earn a start?

lineup(2).png.dd4bbb49bb3e58a6fd722175401e4325.png

The Game:
I don’t think there’s any doubt that both sides have sufficient quality to punish any errors made and I think this will simply come down to which side best executes their game plan and who is most clinical with the chances they fashion. I’m going for a 1-1 draw with Nate to re-find his scoring touch and secure us another vital point. I think with both clubs and sets of fans riding high, it ought to be a great atmosphere though at present, there is some rain forecast. For anyone making a mini-break of it, please see some 'Things To Do' suggestions and links to some decent eateries below, as suggested by TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186298-Activities-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186298-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html

Enjoy the game my fellow Rams fans and safe journey to and fro.

COYR
BE MORE B4

I’d be happy with a point from this, oddly I think Portsmouth would take that too.

They’re pretty much promoted already. I know they can’t mathematically confirm it on Tuesday, but one win will do it for them, I can’t see Bolton getting to 89 points.

We are the only side with an outside chance of stopping them from winning the title, but to do that we have to win at Fratton Park. If Portsmouth get a draw, they’re up and they’re also Champions, so it’s a very good result for them too.

I think we will set up to get a point and maybe pinch a win if we can. If we also come out of it without defeat and injury free, we have 8 days until our following game in which Collins can build more fitness, NML can have a bit of a rest, and Bird, Gayle & Barkhuizen are all closer to their return for the run-in.

Four points from these next two and I think we’re as good as up, although if we do lose at Portsmouth, I don’t think the world is going to cave in as much as it did after the Northampton defeat.

IMO we have to go for it and try to win the game, getting three points closer will put pressure on Portsmouth, something they may not be comfortable with and if we keep winning most games, we'll be like terriers on their tails just waiting for a stumble.  Yep, it's a lot of if's and maybe's but could happen and the chance for it starts by winning that game.

We Are Coming For You Pompy

From a Pompey perspective, we acknowledge Derby are an outstanding team with quality players such as Mendez Laing, Sibley, Collins etc.

To beat Derby, we will have to be at our best. We have a lot of injuries still but will be able to field a competitive side.

I think 92 points will probably guarantee automatic promotion, so we probably need 6 more points. Still lots of work to do for both sides.

No outcome would surprise me here. We are capable of winning this, and you're more than capable of beating us too.

In the end, we might just cancel each other out for it to end in a draw.

Edited by Carlin

2 hours ago, Carlin said:

From a Pompey perspective, we acknowledge Derby are an outstanding team with quality players such as Mendez Laing, Sibley, Collins etc.

To beat Derby, we will have to be at our best. We have a lot of injuries still but will be able to field a competitive side.

I think 92 points will probably guarantee automatic promotion, so we probably need 6 more points. Still lots of work to do for both sides.

No outcome would surprise me here. We are capable of winning this, and you're more than capable of beating us too.

In the end, we might just cancel each other out for it to end in a draw.

Your injured side is better than our injured side. 

What a massive Monday and Tuesday coming. How we feel going into this game will partly be determined by what happens the day before. Normally in League One I'd say only wins matter, but if Bolton don't win I'd be OK with a draw here. The extra day works in our favour in terms of recovery time, which makes me think Warne will pick an unchanged team for this one. Which would be:

Wildsmith

Wilson     Nelson     Cashin     Sibley

Ward     Adams     Smith     Blackett-Taylor

Mendez-Laing     Washington

Bench: Loach  Robinson  Hourihane  Thompson  Fornah  Collins  Waghorn

I hate seeing Sibbo so far back, but at least when you look at Saturday's positions on WhoScored, the "back four" was actually more like Nelson, Cashin, Adams and Smith, with Wilson and Sibley much further forward. This selection means not rushing Collins back into the starting lineup - we need to be careful with him.

On a side note, what an amazing few days it's been for young defender Keilen Robinson, playing for England U19s and then making the first team bench. Congrats to him!

I think we will go 433 for this game & look to hit them on the break....

Wildsmith - Wilson Nelson Cashin Sibley - Thompson Adams Smith - NML Washington CBT

Loach Robinson Ward Fornah Hourihane Waghorn Collins

With that line up we have some pace up front for the counter but also energy in the middle of the park. We need a midfield 3 vs their 3 as they play 4231

Edited by DCFC1388

Wildsmith

Wilson      Nelson        Cashin        Sibley

Adams

Ward        Smith       Thompson      CBT

Collins

(Loach, K.Robinson, D.Robinson, Fornah, NML, Washington, Weston)   

There will be a heavy emphasis on attacking set pieces, so Sibley and Ward will be starting. They've conceded almost half of their goals from set-pieces. We'll also sit off, letting Portsmouth have most of the ball and hit them on the break.

Truth be told it's hard to not see the same 11 starting - the only changes due to fitness (Washington and Blackett-Taylor got over an hour first yhe first time in a while) or injury (Mendez-Laing struggling with his injury?).

The bench will probably be the same too, with KRobinson potentially being the only change. Elder or DRobinson most likely to take his place on the bench.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The bench will probably be the same too, with KRobinson potentially being the only change. Elder or DRobinson most likely to take his place on the bench.

I thought it strange that KRobinson was on the bench rather than DRobinson anyway, given DRob's extra experience and the fact that he covers multiple positions including centre back. Was he not available do you know?

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I thought it strange that KRobinson was on the bench rather than DRobinson anyway, given DRob's extra experience and the fact that he covers multiple positions including centre back. Was he not available do you know?

Probably because Kei is a CB who could cover LB with no one else in the squad covers these positions.

Darren is a CM who can cover CB and RB. We already had 3 CMs on the bench, and had both Ward and Wilson starting (so 2 players who could play RB)

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Probably because Kei is a CB who could cover LB with no one else in the squad covers these positions.

Darren is a CM who can cover CB and RB. We already had 3 CMs on the bench, and had both Ward and Wilson starting (so 2 players who could play RB)

I didn't know that KRob can play LB too. Makes sense then.

9 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

The Ref tomorrow is Will Finnie he was the ref for our away games at Blackpool and Oxford.

I think he was generally Ok in those games. Let's hope he isn't intimidated by the atmosphere tomorrow.