Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I don’t think the starting formation quite worked on Saturday.

We need either CBT or NML (if fit), not both.

Ward on the right and hopefully Collins in the middle.

Thompson to come into a three man midfield with Adams and Smith.

He looks lost when starting games and is best used as an irritant in the last 25 if your protecting a lead.  He'd be swallowed starting in this one.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

The natural balance is NML on one wing with CBT on the other, but the problem was we lacked a striker, so Warne chose to use NML centrally to help Washington (who's clearly not match fit). NML just struggled to get into the game as he works best receiving wide where there's more space and driving.

I think it took CBT a while to get into it, but when he did, I thought we were dangerous on both flanks which has not often been the case.

15 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I think it took CBT a while to get into it, but when he did, I thought we were dangerous on both flanks which has not often been the case.

He seemed to look decent, but there was a couple of things he needs to work on off the limited look we’ve had. Clearly, one of them is defensively which I think is the main one he’s not played as much (bar the injury). The other is that he had a tendency to release the ball then just stand there instead of making a run or moving the defenders. 

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

He seemed to look decent, but there was a couple of things he needs to work on off the limited look we’ve had. Clearly, one of them is defensively which I think is the main one he’s not played as much (bar the injury). The other is that he had a tendency to release the ball then just stand there instead of making a run or moving the defenders. 

Or we take the Brian Clough approach of play to his strengths, ie give him the ball and let him do what he is good at, rather than him spend time doing what he is weaker at. It got the best out of Alan Hinton, and John McGovern - neither of whom were known for “Ebou Adams” like challenges. And no, this isn’t an attempt to compare Brian Clough and Paul Warne! Don’t even go there!

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Or we take the Brian Clough approach of play to his strengths, ie give him the ball and let him do what he is good at, rather than him spend time doing what he is weaker at. It got the best out of Alan Hinton, and John McGovern - neither of whom were known for “Ebou Adams” like challenges. And no, this isn’t an attempt to compare Brian Clough and Paul Warne! Don’t even go there!

Nothing I stated that I feel he needs to work on is "not playing to his strengths". It's not asking the world for him to track a runner or pass and move.

On 30/03/2024 at 11:52, Carlin said:

From a Pompey perspective, we acknowledge Derby are an outstanding team

I think you have us mixed up with someone else mate.

We are marginally better than most teams in an awful division, but I'd not go any further than that.

But I don't care if we go up. I can worry about next season, next season.

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hmmm   I don’t so much care if we’re first or second - the imperative is to get out of this league. I think that means we start Adams and Smith, maybe even Tommo and play it safe. There’s always a chance Cashin or Nelson will get on the end of a set piece or Ward will score from a fk ( or corner!).  Last thing we want is to concede 3 and erode our GD advantage. 

Playing it safe could turn out to be the most risky in a game against a strong side like Portsmouth.  Being apprehensive of making mistakes sometimes ensures mistakes.  If we set out with the mentality of wanting to win the game, it increases the likelihood of every player being up for it and at their best.  This game is a chance to make a possible bid for first place, so that is how it should be approached IMO.  Second place is ok, first is better.

54 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I vaguely remember Roy Keane saying what Clough said to him as a young player. “your job is to win the ball and then give it to our Nigel.”

1 hour ago, Killer Shoes said:

We've been here a couple of days, ferry to Gosport, Powder Monkey brewery and tap house is worth a shout, Auckland Arms in Southsea, Barley Mow, Hole in the Wall also Southsea, no frills real ale pubs. 

Highly recommend Huis in southsea # no 1 restaurant in Portsmouth on trip advisor, lots of choice for Belgium beers and the food is really good.

IMG_2704.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's not much time after the Wycombe game on the Wednesday night and the match against Orient on the following Saturday.