Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

5 hours ago, ramit said:

Playing it safe could turn out to be the most risky in a game against a strong side like Portsmouth.  Being apprehensive of making mistakes sometimes ensures mistakes.  If we set out with the mentality of wanting to win the game, it increases the likelihood of every player being up for it and at their best.  This game is a chance to make a possible bid for first place, so that is how it should be approached IMO.  Second place is ok, first is better.

I honestly think 3 wins will be enough so that’s 90 points meaning this game is a free hit and that’s how I’d approach it

Id actually go for it and try and win it …no cautious approach and take the game to pompy if we lose trying to win I won’t mind as 3 wins which  I think we will get will mean Bolton have to win virtually all of there games as would Peterborough and that’s not going to happen so let’s go for it and if we win it we have one foot in the championship 👍🏻

Edited by S8TY

25 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I honestly think 3 wins will be enough so that’s 90 points meaning this game is a free hit and that’s how I’d approach it

Id actually go for it and try and win it …no cautious approach and take the game to pompy if we lose trying to win I won’t mind as 3 wins which  I think we will get will mean Bolton have to win virtually all of there games as would Peterborough and that’s not going to happen so let’s go for it and if we win it we have one foot in the championship 👍🏻

I think anything from tomorrow night will be a bonus 👍

32 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Paul Warne has said we'll be going for the win as we intend to in every single game. The man doesn't do draws

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So it’s in our hands, as we have a better GD…

if it’s down to GD, IS it in anyone’s hands? Or nobody’s? Or everybody’s?

it sounds a bit like martinis: one and you’re anybody’s. Two and you’re everybody’s. Three and you’re nobody’s  

Edited by kevinhectoring

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Paul Warne has said we'll be going for the win as we intend to in every single game. The man doesn't do draws

Maybe he’s saying that to John Mousinho and not to you   I’m guessing it’s what Arteta said to Pep in the Saturday press 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

if it’s down to GD, IS it in anyone’s hands? Or nobody’s? Or everybody’s?

it sounds a bit like martinis: one and you’re anybody’s. Two and you’re everybody’s. Three and you’re nobody’s  

Have you been on the 🍸 😉

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Was just about to post the same, we’re currently 3 points ahead of Bolton on the same number of games played. Barnsley and Posh have each played 1 game less than us but even if they win their games in hand it would put them on 77 points so still 4 points behind.

I obviously don’t want us to lose tomorrow night, BUT even if we do we’re still in the box seat with 12 more points to play for beyond the Portsmouth game.

It’s still very much in our own hands as it stands and I agree, it’s definitely going to be a close run thing! They could have made our lives so much easier with a result at Northampton….the swines…stressful few weeks coming up! 

Yet lots of people seemed horrified that Rams fans were angry at us throwing that opportunity away!

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Trouble with that is if we go for it and get hammered 4-0, we potentially sit third by Saturday evening.

Then it’s out of our hands and winning 3 games out of the 4 last games might not even be enough.

I kind of hope both teams sit back tomorrow until the last 10 minutes and then see if we can nick one. Anything worse than a 1 goal loss tomorrow would be really disappointing.

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yet lots of people seemed horrified that Rams fans were angry at us throwing that opportunity away!

I can only speak for myself on that, and much like I don’t see it as the end of the world if we lose tomorrow, I don’t think it was the end of the season that the lads put in such a lacklustre performance in that game as there are still points to play for.

Just commented that it could have been a far smoother end to the season, but that’s not the Derby way is it? 

46 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We shall see I hope we don’t sit back as I think we’re better on the front foot …I don’t think we’re a great side but nor are Pompy …there is absolutely no reason to be too fearful …be brave and have a go …they will be wary of us and we need to start well and see where it takes us but please don’t sit back ….and no I don’t mean go gun ho but we are as good as them imo 

25 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Trouble with that is if we go for it and get hammered 4-0, we potentially sit third by Saturday evening.

Then it’s out of our hands and winning 3 games out of the 4 last games might not even be enough.

I kind of hope both teams sit back tomorrow until the last 10 minutes and then see if we can nick one. Anything worse than a 1 goal loss tomorrow would be really disappointing.

We won’t lose by 3 or 4 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I think he goes defensive.

4-5-1 with CBT and NML wingers but he puts three in the middle of the pitch - probably Smith, Adams and Thompson.

We have to put three in midfield otherwise we stand no chance in my mind. Do that and double up as much as possible on their tricky winger …

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Definition of a must not lose, a win would also drag Portsmouth back a little which would give them more impetus in the games against Bolton, etc.

A loss is more impactful than the three points tomorrow night as it means Portsmouth can afford to coast a little, especially the game coming up against Bolton. 

I hadn’t thought about that. Ouch ! So….. We have to perform against Portsmouth to make sure they have to perform against Bolton. Psychologists and mind game devotees write your answers here. 

7 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Highly recommend Huis in southsea # no 1 restaurant in Portsmouth on trip advisor, lots of choice for Belgium beers and the food is really good.

IMG_2704.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

I went there before the game last year. Lovely mussels and a couple of Gulden Draak set me up nicely.

Edited by Kinder

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

We have to put three in midfield otherwise we stand no chance in my mind. Do that and double up as much as possible on their tricky winger …

The way we played against Blackpool resulted in Ward tucking in or Mendez-Laing dropping off to make a midfield 3. Even in our 3412, the '1' (such as Barkhuizen) would be the 3rd midfielder.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The way we played against Blackpool resulted in Ward tucking in or Mendez-Laing dropping off to make a midfield 3. Even in our 3412, the '1' (such as Barkhuizen) would be the 3rd midfielder.

I only hope that was a deliberate ploy against how Blackpool play - but you could also argue it worked.

I still wish we could have a style and play where we impose ourselves and we have the ball and we can create.... just accepted it won't be under this manager.