Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

Very disappointing (if predictable) results today with all three chasers winning. Lose at Portsmouth and automatic promotion is out of our hands. Sadly, with us scraping wins while Bolton bagged 5 each against Oxford and Reading, our goal difference can no longer be relied upon if the final points tally ends up being tied.

What does that mean for this game? Obviously we all want to win, but I expect we will set up as a "must not lose" game and be quite cautious. So one of the strikers (NML/CBT/Wash) drops our for a midfielder (who will probably be Hourihane). I expect it will be CBT who makes way. Warne would take a draw now, and I think so would I. Then we remain masters of our destiny with just 4 games to go.

Edited by Carl Sagan

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Certainly can’t afford to lose , just in case we chuck another Northampton result in .

It won’t be game over if we do lose. Just shows how close this could end up. Still in our hands but if we do lose we could probably do with Pompey running away with it and winning all of their remaining games. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very disappointing (if predictable) results today with all three chasers winning. Lose at Portsmouth and automatic promotion is out of our hands. Sadly, with us scraping wins while Bolton bagged 5 each against Oxford and Reading, our goal difference can no longer be relied upon if the points end up being tied.

What does that mean for this game? Obviously we all want to win, but I expect we will set up as a "must not lose" game and be quite cautious. So one of the strikers (NML/CBT/Wash) drops our for a midfielder (who will probably be Hourihane). I expect it will be CBT who makes way. Warne would take a draw now, and I think so would I. Then we remain masters of our destiny with just 4 games to go.

Not quite as doom and gloom as you suggest. Technically you may be correct but it won’t be solely in Bolton’s hands either.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

It won’t be game over if we do lose. Just shows how close this could end up. Still in our hands but if we do lose we could probably do with Pompey running away with it and winning all of their remaining games. 

Was just about to post the same, we’re currently 3 points ahead of Bolton on the same number of games played. Barnsley and Posh have each played 1 game less than us but even if they win their games in hand it would put them on 77 points so still 4 points behind.

I obviously don’t want us to lose tomorrow night, BUT even if we do we’re still in the box seat with 12 more points to play for beyond the Portsmouth game.

It’s still very much in our own hands as it stands and I agree, it’s definitely going to be a close run thing! They could have made our lives so much easier with a result at Northampton….the swines…stressful few weeks coming up! 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very disappointing (if predictable) results today with all three chasers winning. Lose at Portsmouth and automatic promotion is out of our hands. Sadly, with us scraping wins while Bolton bagged 5 each against Oxford and Reading, our goal difference can no longer be relied upon if the final points tally ends up being tied.

once this game is out of the way our fixture list is easier than Bolton’s who still have to play Pompy at home P’boro away

a draw here would suit both us and Pompy, might be quite a low key game 

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Surely even if we lose tomorrow, wins in our final games will see us up?

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Cheers, 12%, took me back to the first time I drank Barley wine.

IMG_2705.jpeg

With that kind of beer list, I couldn't stick to one particular beer. I'd certainly have to have a Gulden Draak and Hercule Stout because I don't get to try them very often.

I'm not that worried about Bolton TBH; they are powderpuff away from home cant see them picking up more than a point from their last 2 away games. I also think they'll get done at home by Pompey. As long as we get something tomorrow night I think we'll keep them at bay. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not strictly true. We would have 93 points, and so would Bolton if they win their remaining matches (with Portsmouth having more). 

But to say it’s out of our hands means that no matter what we do, it might not be enough. As long as there’s not a 4 goal swing in us losing to Pompey & Bolton winning their game in hand, then just matching Bolton’s results for the rest of the season would see us above them. Very much still in our hands.

14 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Obviously hoping for the best but fear that after all the talk etc it will be another Barnsley (a) let-down.

A loss I can take …. But we need to keep it to the odd goal at all costs. I don’t want us being reckless chasing a lost game and conceding 3 or 4.

GD is going to be massive 

WE are massive!  

*Everywhere we go!

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not sure it is ? Depends on the score and GD. They’d have to equal our points tally and achieve a better GD over the remaining games ? Unless I have missed something ? Even if we lose, Bolton still need to exceed what we do over what’s left ( I think🤣)

it’s destined to be 0-0 v Carlisle with 9 minutes injury time and needing a win to do it. Or the same for Bolton at 4-0 up but needing 1 more to do it on GD  

Football bloody hell