Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Dwight did apologise after the game but fans have long memories and he did get a retrospective ban for diving in the past . Hope the ref takes the game on its merits. 

Well said.

55 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

You know I try to be fair in my comments and I have to point out that I hope you do play like you did last week, because every other referee on the planet would see what everyone impartial fan in the country saw and would have sent the cheating, handballing con man Gayle off and you wouldn't have won leaving us ahead of you in the league. Is that not fair or are you going to convince me he didn't handball it and dive into the goalie?

Oh the irony of a Bolton fan coming coming on here complaining about referees decisions 😂

56 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

You know I try to be fair in my comments and I have to point out that I hope you do play like you did last week, because every other referee on the planet would see what everyone impartial fan in the country saw and would have sent the cheating, handballing con man Gayle off and you wouldn't have won leaving us ahead of you in the league. Is that not fair or are you going to convince me he didn't handball it and dive into the goalie?

Yes how terrible. I imagine we would also surround a ref pleading for a red card for handball after the ball hits a goalkeeper’s chest. We won’ t mention disallowing a goal to give a penalty and awarding a penalty for a foul outside of the box as I am sure you came on here to apologise for all three of those events and Bolton magnanimously returned the three points after the game being the doyens of fair play that you clearly are. Bravo! 

37 minutes ago, angieram said:

Whilst the very slow mo version shows the ball hitting Gayle's arm, it's hardly cheating  nor is he a con man. Harsh words, imo.

Likewise the goalkeeper may have looked almost stationary to you in a slow mo replay, in real time he was thundering out of his goal.

So, a refereeing mistake.

Now, who benefitted from a refereeing mistake against us earlier in the season? 

By the same referee, no less. 

51 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

OK - interpretation. But IMO the goalie was almost standing still with his hands ready to catch it, whereas Gayle was full pelt and extended his arm to knock it out of the goalie's hand.

And I'm struggling to see how handling the ball is a natural reaction to being worried about the contact.

What?! 🤣🤣🤣

It was a handball (so shouldn't have been a penalty), but the keeper absolutely clattered him. Clumsy and rash IMO.

Edited by Scott129

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Oh the irony of a Bolton fan coming coming on here complaining about referees decisions 😂

Which bit of "water under the bridge" do you not get?

I'm not complaining - just expressing a widely-held opinion and anyhoo it's all about this afternoon - when almost anything could happen.

10 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Yes how terrible. I imagine we would also surround a ref pleading for a red card for handball after the ball hits a goalkeeper’s chest. We won’ t mention disallowing a goal to give a penalty and awarding a penalty for a foul outside of the box as I am sure you came on here to apologise for all three of those events and Bolton magnanimously returned the three points after the game being the doyens of fair play that you clearly are. Bravo! 

I apologise unreservedly and if it was up to me I'd hand you the one point now.

58 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hope he puts Fozzie in the middle. Want Cashin and Sibley covering their right wing. With Adams sitting deep in MF that’s less ground for Fozzie to cover

I’d rather Cashin in the middle personally as I think he reads the game better than anyone else. Forsyth also more comfortable defending 1v1 which is where Cash struggles from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

The handball is a distraction. Your keeper was taking him out come what may, and he did it the way Reading had been doing their "Don Revie" tactics all night long - heavily disguised, but very  effective fouling. As you have already been reminded, you only beat us at yours because of the same ref - who not only gave a wrong red card, breaking FA rules and procedures in the process, he also disallowed a perfectly good goal, and turned down two of the most blatant penalties we've seen all season, and believe me, we've seen a lot of blatant penalties turned down in recent years.

7 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Which bit of "water under the bridge" do you not get?

I'm not complaining - just expressing a widely-held opinion and anyhoo it's all about this afternoon - when almost anything could happen.

You can’t make the point that if Gayle didn’t handle the ball, you’d be ahead of us, then just say “water under the bridge” when it’s pointed out that Bolton have directly benefited from a refereeing error this season too.

Had the referee correctly identified that Wildsmith didn’t handle the ball at the Toughsheet Stadium, and didn’t send him off, then we may have got at least a point from that game. That’s a swing of at least 3 points against an important promotion rival, meaning we would currently be 4 points clear rather than one.

We also conceded a last minute equaliser against Pompey which looked very much offside. Again, that’s a swing of 3 points. Add those two poor decisions together, and not only are we waving you goodbye in the distance, we’re top of the league.

But you can point to any given decision over the course of the season and say “what if?” I don’t think Gayle deliberately handled the ball. It was a handball, but the goalkeeper made up the ref’s decision by charging out and making contact.

We’re both in League 1, we both know the standard of refereeing leaves a lot to be desired. I’d argue we’ve been on the receiving end of poor officiating much more than we’ve benefitted this season.

At the end of the day, it’s tough sheet, and you just have to get on with it.

This is a historic fixture. One of ours scored the first goal ever in worldwide league football against you in a game you went on to win - 137 years ago!

We have an appalling away record against you - the 4th worst of all the teams we've played. You've halted your slide down the leagues, we're on the way back from the brink of extinction. Two original clubs.

History points to you winning again today and the contrast of styles and tactics will be decisive one way or the other.

We're nervous - you're nervous - it's massive and PP will be full. Which for a League 1 game is outstanding.

Whoever wins - fair play.

Anyway, back to today. There have been big calls for Derby fans to make it a "Black and White Saturday", so I'm doing my bit. I've dug out my old Avon Tyres Rams shirt, with Avon now being used to advertise my beer gut, a black and white Derby hoodie, and some black and white socks my daughter bought me for when we have a family get together to watch an away match on Rams TV - while the match is on the three women there are blathering on about anything but football, then at key moments want me and my son to stop watching and explain what is going on. My constant reminders that "we are here to watch the football, so stop blathering on about plant pots, dusters and hamster's toe nails" have meant that my daughter had the socks marked with "SHHHH - The Match Is On". Haa very Haa!

But today, the match is on, but DO NOT BE SHHHHHH!!!!!! I'll be in the South stand as part of a wall of sound!

LOADS OF NOISE PLEASE!!!

Edited by DavesaRam

44 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Whilst I'm posting, thought you might enjoy this "alternative" commentary on our Oxford game. Please note it contains a lot of swearing and - more worryingly - Peter Kay so not for the "sensitive".

Is any of that in English?