Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I thought a key battle in this one would be if Ebou Adams could stifle the threat of Kyle Dempsey.

Dempsey has been a thorn in our side in recent battles and seems to dictate the play for Bolton. Interestingly though he was only on the bench for them midweek. 

Could some of the  visiting Bolton fans( @Wanderlust or @Warren Blufitt) on here shed any light on why? Was it a case of resting him for Saturday or was he dropped? 

Demps hasn’t really been at his best recently Steve and the excellent form of Sheehan, Thomason and Maghoma has been a real plus as has been the way they’ve linked up with Bodvarson and Collins. All are ball players and can receive and hold the ball so it may be that by accident of injuries to others we’ve fallen on a really good mix. Add in the excellent wing back play and crossing of Dacres Cogley and Ogbeta and we’ve been overrunning teams. Recent results at the likes of Blackpool and Wigan don’t really tell the true story where we were much the better team in both but managed to end up losing them though missing sitters. I’m hoping we’re over that now and prove it tomorrow but either way although I don’t expect Demps to start you never know with Mr Evatt? 🙂

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Don’t forget engineering works  Manchester to Sheffield line blocked and Sheffield to Chesterfield signalling upgrade means some platforms are not available so travel from other areas could be affected.

https://news.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/news/hope-valley-upgrade-works-to-affect-emr-regional-and-intercity-routes-for-nine-days

Engineering work on the Hope Valley line will mean the EMR and XC services to and from Sheffield are diverting via Barrow Hill.

This will lead to these trains being retimed and as a result the Derby to Matlock trains have also had their times amended and a through route from Nottingham has had to be cancelled

Excellent train-spotting Sir! What’s in your flask?

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

He's not been a regular starter for a while now since he came back from injury. Did really well for us when were down to the bare bones a couple of months ago but had to play with - check this out - a broken vertebrae. I s*** you not - we were desperate. Anyway he was rested when George T returned from suspension and has mainly been used as a sub since.

Sheehan and George Thomason are the string pullers, with Sheehan playing just in front of the back 3. More recently, Maghoma has been playing too. All 3 can make killer passes. Some of our better players are out for the season - a couple will be returning soon hopefully.

As regards our wage structure, it's changed a lot over the last 2 years. A lot of our players were bought on the cheap e.g. our captain Santos from Barnet and Eoin Toal from Derry City who was £75k - although this rose by another £75k when he was capped for NI - however  I can't imagine he's on much. But in January we splashed out on Collins (est £750k) as we had no strikers under the age of 30 still fit, and he'll be on a load. Generally though we've stuck to a firm wage cap. That tight-fisted approach cost us as we walked away from two excellent players whose personal demands scuppered the deals despite the clubs agreeing a sale. And the team cost around £2.5 million in transfers including signings for the B team. Wages a lot less than yours but more than half I'd have thought.

33 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Demps hasn’t really been at his best recently Steve and the excellent form of Sheehan, Thomason and Maghoma has been a real plus as has been the way they’ve linked up with Bodvarson and Collins. All are ball players and can receive and hold the ball so it may be that by accident of injuries to others we’ve fallen on a really good mix. Add in the excellent wing back play and crossing of Dacres Cogley and Ogbeta and we’ve been overrunning teams. Recent results at the likes of Blackpool and Wigan don’t really tell the true story where we were much the better team in both but managed to end up losing them though missing sitters. I’m hoping we’re over that now and prove it tomorrow but either way although I don’t expect Demps to start you never know with Mr Evatt? 🙂

Cheers @Warren Blufitt and @Wanderlust. It's always interesting to hear opposition fans views. Obviously I don't follow your boys too intently so it surprises me to hear that Dempsey has been surpassed by others. 

That tells me it's gonna be imperative that we win that midfield battle tomorrow. The game is gonna be won and lost in there.

We don't tend to overplay it in the centre of the park but it will be all about who has the desire and hunger to land on those second balls.

I do worry though that this may be one game too many in such a short period for some of our older players. We do however have some very good options from the bench if their adrenaline doesn't pull them through.

Same team, let's come out quickly from the start. This is the kind of game that is usually extremely tentative with neither side wanting to lose, but I hope Warne emphasises aggression in attack from the start to seize the momentum and get the crowd going. We're coming into this in great form, let's not worry about Bolton. If we play as well as we have been, we can win this. 

Edited by Andicis

3 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I’m a bit of a Negative Nigel on this game. I think Bolton are in great form and score easily. Just can’t see us winning this. 😪

Bolton drew 2 of their last 3 games, they just had one big win against Oxford. They are in worse form than we are. Wasn't that long ago they got panned by Blackpool and lost to Wigan. Don't let one game sway you. They've also only scored 3 more than us and have conceded 8 more. 

Edited by Andicis

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Bolton drew 2 of their last 3 games, they just had one big win against Oxford. They are in worse form than we are. Wasn't that long ago they got panned by Blackpool and lost to Wigan. Don't let one game sway you. They've also only scored 3 more than us and have conceded 8 more. 

They were winning at Blackpool and then had a player sent off…

23 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I just hope we try to attack them, rather than sitting back waiting to counter attack.

PW’s comments about tomorrow being a game ‘we don't want to lose’ concerns me.

Only Shrewsbury have drawn less than us, and nobody has won more.

26 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I just hope we try to attack them, rather than sitting back waiting to counter attack.

PW’s comments about tomorrow being a game ‘we don't want to lose’ concerns me.

I think it will be a very cagey affair with both teams approaching the game with some caution recognising the threats the other team poses and, as PW says, it’s a game neither team will want to lose but both will try to win.

51 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it will be a very cagey affair with both teams approaching the game with some caution recognising the threats the other team poses and, as PW says, it’s a game neither team will want to lose but both will try to win.

Frankly I don’t think either team know, or are coached, how to play cagey. It’ll be a frantic end to ender, not dissimilar to Posh. Hopefully we win by the odd goal in five. Up the Rams 🐑

Well,, just sitting in the garden having a smoke and a coffee ,early start today because of the m25 chaos and I don’t want to be late or rushed as today is a day to drink it all in , the nerves are bubbling up as they have been from Tuesday night , I could say I just want a good day , a good atmosphere, a good performance, a good match ,,,,,,,,, naw ,,,,,,, I just want a ducking win ,the rest is a bonus 

come on derby, get into them 💪💪💪💪🐏

Today's the day. Win and we will be 4 points ahead of Bolton. They will use up 2 of their remaining games just to catch us. Draw and we still hold the upper hand. Lose we can still go up automatically but it will be that much harder. So excited and feels like the feeling I got on the March before the Birmingham game. Apprehension, excitement and tension rolled into one. This is The game we have to win. Up you beautiful Rams. 🐏🐏🐏

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Frankly I don’t think either team know, or are coached, how to play cagey. It’ll be a frantic end to ender, not dissimilar to Posh. Hopefully we win by the odd goal in five. Up the Rams 🐑

Bloody hell. 8 hours since anyone posted, and I have been asleep all of those. I sometimes think I am the only proper Rams fan on this board

Wishing all you attendees a fantastic day. Big day, for a big club to deliver. Come on Warne. Make them all write an emotional ‘Why board’ entry, and then send them out the team thinking they are unbeatable. Come on you Rams!!!!

Edited by i-Ram
I see Archie and Eccles got in whilst I was tapping away. Have a good day lads. You are obvs proper Rams Fans too 🐑

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Bloody hell. 8 hours since anyone posted, and I have been asleep all of those. I sometimes think I am the only proper Rams fan on this board

Wishing all you attendees a fantastic day. Big day, for a big club to deliver. Come on Warne. Make them all write an emotional ‘Why board’ entry, and then send them out the team thinking they are unbeatable. Come on you Rams!!!!

I was thinking the same, one of the quietest matchday threads of the season for the biggest game. Quite a few posts from Bolton fans too.