Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

56 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You have to take in to account that me and my son are attending. The tinker got me tickets for my birthday….I thought he liked me 😞 Anyway, the point is my son is a very bad omen, hardly ever seen the 🐏 win having seen us on many occasions 🥲

Can’t you put him in the away end ?

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Not at all confident about this based on 1) how well we play when we have a big crowd 2) how atmosphere often worse with big crowd and 3)how well we have played in these sorts of big games.  Hopefully for once will be happily surprised and it will be like the Brighton play off game. 

Ditto for Wanderers CBR, which should make for an interesting match? 😁

8 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Can't believe opposition fans are still peddling this crap.

Yes, we have a good wage budget for the league, but 50% more than Bolton? Utter rubbish.

IMG_20240315_133658.jpg

Also under-stating how many of our fans *still* want Warne gone...

But who is a big earner in our squad? I remember reading somewhere that Bird and Knight were on Champ-level contracts, and obvs Bielik was. But now? Maybe Hourihane and probably Bradley are well paid. Maybe Gayle, but that was out of necessity. We're hardly Barry Bannan'ing our way through the league.

10 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Not at all confident about this based on 1) how well we play when we have a big crowd 2) how atmosphere often worse with big crowd and 3)how well we have played in these sorts of big games.  Hopefully for once will be happily surprised and it will be like the Brighton play off game. 

Big game pressure - no problem for Dwight Gayle . If home games in front of 50,000 screaming , bare chested Geordies doesn’t worry you - nothing will. 😵‍💫

17 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

There's only one of those that we can affect.

BRING THE NOISE! 🐏

Don’t forget engineering works  Manchester to Sheffield line blocked and Sheffield to Chesterfield signalling upgrade means some platforms are not available so travel from other areas could be affected.

https://news.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/news/hope-valley-upgrade-works-to-affect-emr-regional-and-intercity-routes-for-nine-days

Engineering work on the Hope Valley line will mean the EMR and XC services to and from Sheffield are diverting via Barrow Hill.

This will lead to these trains being retimed and as a result the Derby to Matlock trains have also had their times amended and a through route from Nottingham has had to be cancelled

Edited by cstand

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well, our accounts showed a wage bill of £17.2m for 22/23 (13 months). Bolton's most recent accounts (21/22) showed they had a 10.2m wage bill

Yes but thats doesnt have to mean our players are on 50% more look at the size of acadamys between the 2

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well, our accounts showed a wage bill of £17.2m for 22/23 (13 months). Bolton's most recent accounts (21/22) showed they had a 10.2m wage bill

Our first team squad was only £7.2m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-accounts-2022-2023-9150184.amp

Bolton's footballing budget 'increased to £8m' in 21/22, but this will include other things besides first team squad (although that will be the vast majority of it).

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23451852.bolton-wanderers-accounts-show-progress-made-off-pitch/

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Don’t forget engineering works  Manchester to Sheffield line blocked and Sheffield to Chesterfield signalling upgrade means some platforms are not available so travel from other areas could be affected.

https://news.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/news/hope-valley-upgrade-works-to-affect-emr-regional-and-intercity-routes-for-nine-days

Engineering work on the Hope Valley line will mean the EMR and XC services to and from Sheffield are diverting via Barrow Hill.

This will lead to these trains being retimed and as a result the Derby to Matlock trains have also had their times amended and a through route from Nottingham has had to be cancelled

IMG_0967.jpeg

2 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Also under-stating how many of our fans *still* want Warne gone...

But who is a big earner in our squad? I remember reading somewhere that Bird and Knight were on Champ-level contracts, and obvs Bielik was. But now? Maybe Hourihane and probably Bradley are well paid. Maybe Gayle, but that was out of necessity. We're hardly Barry Bannan'ing our way through the league.

Cashin signed a new deal, with Brighton being interested.  He will be being paid Championship (at least!) money.

NML the same.

I thought a key battle in this one would be if Ebou Adams could stifle the threat of Kyle Dempsey.

Dempsey has been a thorn in our side in recent battles and seems to dictate the play for Bolton. Interestingly though he was only on the bench for them midweek. 

Could some of the  visiting Bolton fans( @Wanderlust or @Warren Blufitt) on here shed any light on why? Was it a case of resting him for Saturday or was he dropped? 

Edited by Steve How Hard?
Missed word

3 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Can't believe opposition fans are still peddling this crap.

Yes, we have a good wage budget for the league, but 50% more than Bolton? Utter rubbish.

IMG_20240315_133658.jpg

Well, we all know why we didn't beat Bolton, and we should have beaten Pompey, so it's not much to cling to when we've also beaten all the other teams he's named.....

26 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I thought a key battle in this one would be if Ebou Adams could stifle the threat of Kyle Dempsey.

Dempsey has been a thorn in our side in recent battles and seems to dictate the play for Bolton. Interestingly though he was only on the bench for them midweek. 

Could some of the  visiting Bolton fans( @Wanderlust or @Warren Blufitt) on here shed any light on why? Was it a case of resting him for Saturday or was he dropped? 

He's not been a regular starter for a while now since he came back from injury. Did really well for us when were down to the bare bones a couple of months ago but had to play with - check this out - a broken vertebrae. I s*** you not - we were desperate. Anyway he was rested when George T returned from suspension and has mainly been used as a sub since.

Sheehan and George Thomason are the string pullers, with Sheehan playing just in front of the back 3. More recently, Maghoma has been playing too. All 3 can make killer passes. Some of our better players are out for the season - a couple will be returning soon hopefully.

As regards our wage structure, it's changed a lot over the last 2 years. A lot of our players were bought on the cheap e.g. our captain Santos from Barnet and Eoin Toal from Derry City who was £75k - although this rose by another £75k when he was capped for NI - however  I can't imagine he's on much. But in January we splashed out on Collins (est £750k) as we had no strikers under the age of 30 still fit, and he'll be on a load. Generally though we've stuck to a firm wage cap. That tight-fisted approach cost us as we walked away from two excellent players whose personal demands scuppered the deals despite the clubs agreeing a sale. And the team cost around £2.5 million in transfers including signings for the B team. Wages a lot less than yours but more than half I'd have thought.

Edited by Wanderlust