Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

13 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Net chances per game against the league's average opponent on neutral ground. By xG, demonstrably the best metric to evaluate past performance in the public domain once you haven't followed a team's games.

Ignore the result mate, Wilson heading it in is just one moment of the performance, it doesn't "cancel" the remaining 95'.

This is simply not true, he was nowhere near it.

Ignore the result?

Call me old fashioned but the actual result of a football match seems quite significant to me, especially when it comes to points and league tables and the like. 

15 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Net chances per game against the league's average opponent on neutral ground. By xG, demonstrably the best metric to evaluate past performance in the public domain once you haven't followed a team's games.

Ignore the result mate, Wilson heading it in is just one moment of the performance, it doesn't "cancel" the remaining 95'.

Nowhere near it? Sure…

IMG_2082.png

I've honestly lost track of who's a Derby fan and who's a Bolton fan in this thread.

Only one way to explain a team's performances over a season to someone who's not been to games. It's not Xg, or any of those stats. It's the league table.

Came home from the pub last night absolutely steaming. Mrs was well up for a bit of romance. Couldn't get little Oodle up. Absolutely limp.

I assume that still counts as getting my end away though. Ended my night on +1 expected shag, so that pretty much shows everyone how good I am in bed.

That's how stupid it Xg is.

Edited by oodledoodle

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

Sounds like you only saw the stats, I'll sum it up for you but if you watched the game or the extended ignore it. We had one chance in the entire second half -you read that right- plus two half-chances in the first, nothing else of note; the other way keeper pulled two worldies, they hit the bar and came close at least a couple more times (50'-64'). Now I would agree the above against a tough opponent is "solid" if we were mid-table or lower, for an aspiring top 2/3 side at home I would call it "a stinker".

So be humble, accept we got the rub of the green (as has been the case numerous times this season, I make it win #9 where we haven't been the better side - 18 points right there for those who like their points and ppgs), be grateful for the result and move on, no need to get all snidey. Spare the gloating and glorifying for when we are actually decent and worthy winners, not after smash-and-grabs on our own turf. My tuppence anyway.

We had two good chances in the second half and we scored one. We have not had the rub of the green “numerous times this season”. How do you define the better team, yesterday we were the better team tactically and got what we deserved, in my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It really isn't unusual for footballers to appeal for things that didn't happen, is it? Bolton players appealed for both the penalty and Wildsmith's sending off at their place and we know that neither decision was correct.

I think they were guessing about contact as much as I am about whether they actually saw contact. As I say, the ball didn't slow down, speed up or deviate as it passed "through" Waggy, so only he knows if ball touched skin and it didn't affect the flight of the ball or Bolton's chances of clearing it.

I spent twenty minutes this morning slowing it down on the replay, watching frame by frame.  It was impossible to tell whether at the moment the ball was level with his hand that it was actually at his hand or a second before.  Unless you have the ultra HD of the Premier League, it is impossible to tell.  Even a VAR system wouldn't disallow it as it was not clear and obvious.

The second thing to consider is the linesman is directly in line with Waghorn.  He had the perfect "live" view and said there was nothing untoward.

It is clearly sour grapes from them (and take the heat off a defeat with whataboutery.  As you say, if there had been deviation it would be hard to argue against.  

43 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Do you actually watch any football and understand the game or are your opinions and conclusions based purely of stats?

Stats are interesting and can help to analyse a game but there is far more to the sport than just that.

I've agreed that Bolton, on the whole, played the better football and clearly had the better chances and more of them but to describe our performance as so bad that it could be described as a stinker and that of a relegation team is frankly laughable. Of course we'll never know but I'd hazard a guess that if you asked everyone that attended the game (including the Bolton fans) + everyone who watched it live on RamsTV (as well as what Bolton supporters may have been able to watch it on) + everyone else that has only been able to watch the extended highlights, you'd be hard pressed to reach double figures for the number of people that would describe our performance in such a damning way.

35 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I've honestly lost track of who's a Derby fan and who's a Bolton fan in this thread.

Only one way to explain a team's performances over a season to someone who's not been to games. It's not Xg, or any of those stats. It's the league table.

Came home from the pub last night absolutely steaming. Mrs was well up for a bit of romance. Couldn't get little Oodle up. Absolutely limp.

I assume that still counts as getting my end away though. Ended my night on +1 expected shag, so that pretty much shows everyone how good I am in bed.

Poor old frustrated Oodledoodle 

Couldn't satisfy Mrs Oodles poodle 

Even though he gave it a rub

He'd spent too long in the pub

So instead he just gave her a coodle

19 hours ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

You aren't a Derby fan. You've never once posted anything that isn't comically negative and frankly a bit daft. How you can be posting such rubbish after a hugely important win like that blows my mind really. 

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

OK just for you, it was handball.

But the reality is we created the better chances and didn't take them, and a lot of credit has to go to your goalie. Equally, the responsibility lies with our strikers who are simply not as ruthless as our usual starters, especially Dion Charles.

As I mentioned during the match when we were battering you but couldn't score in a brothel, it was obvious that you'd get a scabby goal to win it which you did, but that's football folks - you don't always get what you deserve, and we didn't deserve to lose that, not that you care.

The irony is that it was Kane Wilson who was credited with the goal - a player we'd agreed a fee with Brizzle to sign, but didn't in the end as his personal terms and wage demands were too high for us, so he came to you instead.

Anyhoo, onwards and sideways.....

Thanks, Wanderlust for your contributions to the conversation. No nasties, just occasional bits of “tetchy”. And as you said your strikers were not as ruthless as ours have been, although having strikers who have the chance to be ruthless would be nice - all we have left is one old boy just coming back from injury and not up to speed yet!

As I said in my match comments it was a nice change to be playing a decent team. Best wishes for the rest of your season.

Edited by DavesaRam

Such a big win. I was gutted that I couldn't be there due to a family commitment but I kept checking the score. It didn't matter how we won but that we won. Pride Park sounded amazing from the videos going around on social media and I hope we can replicate that kind of noise for the last few games of the season. Given what a horrid time we've been through the past 5 years I don't think anyone can deny we deserve a bit of glory. I was absolute anti-warne at the start of the season and I'm still unconvinced he's the man for us in the next tier. But you've got to feel glad for the bloke who's now clearly loving his time here. I really feel that we'll get across the finish line into the autos now even if we have a slight dip. We've got a bit of leg room so hopefully we can make the most of it!

Well I really enjoyed yesterday. Haven’t seen pride park like that in years. What an atmosphere!! Even the west stand were noisy 😉. Loved how Warne laid down the gauntlet to the fans post match saying just like the players the fans can’t drop their standards now after that!! 

The performance wasn’t vintage and we’ve played much better recently, but credit must go to Bolton who look a decent outfit. I don’t think they battered us, think the first half was pretty even although overall they edged it, second half we were second best until we scored although they didn’t create loads, a couple of routine saves for Wildsmith and one excellent save (after his worldie save in the first half). Think a defeat was definitely harsh on Bolton. However the concern I would have as a Bolton fan is when we scored they never looked like they were going to equalise. Yes we had to defend at times but we closed the game out relatively comfortably. I don’t think Bolton react well to things going against them and I question if they have the minerals.

We can question Warne tactically (think the three subs at halftime were slightly unnecessary and we couldn’t get going, agreed with Thommo coming on for Conor but thought Ward and Barks should’ve stayed on although Kane did get the winner arriving where ward wouldn’t have done) but we won that yesterday primarily because of the band of brothers mentality this team, the heart spirit and togetherness created by the amazing dressing room environment Warne has created, and I think it’s this that will ultimately get us through and over the line 🤞 

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

Maybe it was win #9 where we weren't the better side this season, but you don't mention the times when we haven't got the points we have deserved. So you can offset those 18 points with others that we have lost.

Of course you have to offset it but there have been only 3 of these. 8 to 9 points net, and bear in mind top sides like us are usually unlucky.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

However, the are the same people on here who say that we shouldn't have won on Tuesday because we only won because we had lucky breaks despite dominating the game

That wasn't me although it would have been closer without man advantage for a third of the game - my gripe was with those who cry we are hard done by refs when we're in the plus last few years and we've benefited from 9 big calls recently.

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

When do match threads get posted for a Saturday game? Tonight seems a bit early but given our collective excitement right now I could try and cobble (no pun intended) one together for Northampton late this evening if required. 

Unless there's a rule I don't know about, I'd say go for it. 

I'm buzzing already! 

(Got to be better than reading more of this twaddle!)

Edited by angieram
Add a bit

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

We are all Derby fans on this forum. Why else visit and post and even register

Wildsmith's worldie first half save and a really good one in the second half cemented our victory yesterday. Can't think of a better save I have seen by any keeper since PP opened. That save could be so pivotal in our run in. Not the best of matches football wise but for tension, atmosphere and downright determination it was right up there. Crowd were magnificent and credit to Bolton fans generating to what was so much noise. Keep it up my beautiful Rams. Please don't get complacent at Northampton now. Seven more. Just seven more matches. It's in our hands. From a very happy and still hoarse Rams fan. 

19 minutes ago, ap04 said:

That wasn't me although it would have been closer without man advantage for a third of the game - my gripe was with those who cry we are hard done by refs when we're in the plus last few years and we've benefited from 9 big calls recently.

Can't speak for anyone else, but boy am I glad we have someone devoid of bias to temper enthusiasm. 

Give yourself a pat on the back.