Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

21 hours ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

There's a fatal fallacy with making this comparison. In your example the two students performances are independent of each other. In a football match one side's play directly affects the performance of the other team. The reason Bolton didn't score yesterday has much to do with our defending - when Wildsmith makes  a superb save its part of OUR good performance. You state in another post that Wildsmith  made "two worldies"  as though that is just luck rather than good performance. Those saves were not just "rub of the green".

But much more importantly, your pedantic posts have nothing to do with the joy of watching football.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Well I really enjoyed yesterday. Haven’t seen pride park like that in years. What an atmosphere!! Even the west stand were noisy 😉. Loved how Warne laid down the gauntlet to the fans post match saying just like the players the fans can’t drop their standards now after that!! 

The performance wasn’t vintage and we’ve played much better recently, but credit must go to Bolton who look a decent outfit. I don’t think they battered us, think the first half was pretty even although overall they edged it, second half we were second best until we scored although they didn’t create loads, a couple of routine saves for Wildsmith and one excellent save (after his worldie save in the first half). Think a defeat was definitely harsh on Bolton. However the concern I would have as a Bolton fan is when we scored they never looked like they were going to equalise. Yes we had to defend at times but we closed the game out relatively comfortably. I don’t think Bolton react well to things going against them and I question if they have the minerals.

We can question Warne tactically (think the three subs at halftime were slightly unnecessary and we couldn’t get going, agreed with Thommo coming on for Conor but thought Ward and Barks should’ve stayed on although Kane did get the winner arriving where ward wouldn’t have done) but we won that yesterday primarily because of the band of brothers mentality this team, the heart spirit and togetherness created by the amazing dressing room environment Warne has created, and I think it’s this that will ultimately get us through and over the line 🤞 

The reason that Barkhuisen and Ward we t off is that they had both suffered slight muscle pulls and Warne didn’t want to take any risks. It might have backfired, but playing on with an injury could gave done so even more, especially with our existing injury record.

34 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The reason that Barkhuisen and Ward we t off is that they had both suffered slight muscle pulls and Warne didn’t want to take any risks. It might have backfired, but playing on with an injury could gave done so even more, especially with our existing injury record.

Yes, he indicated that taking Ward off was just a precaution, but that Barks was an actual injury, which is more worrying as he seems to be really buzzing at the moment.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I think that we need to face facts that there is at least one person on here, whose sole purpose is to wind everybody up. By replying to their posts, you are only encouraging them further.

A collective placing that person on ignore will starve them of their 'enjoyment' of ruining everybody else's.

Yep there are a couple like that , if your sole post after a day like yesterday is to claim div 1 is poorer than last season or reams of posts on why we don’t deserve a big chunk of any points we’ve gained this season then it really says something , personally I just find it funny now 😂😂

51 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Missed that one and makes a lot more sense!!! Glad he pulled them off then!! 🍺

On the balance of play, we won, but were we the better team on the day.

If we win promotion, if we struggled against Bolton, are we capable of at least a mid table championship finish or does the team need to be significantly enhanced in the summer.

After struggling to stay afloat under Rooney, i dont want to experience that again.

I want to see our team beat a number of championship teams, if we get promoted.

6 hours ago, Rampant said:

When do match threads get posted for a Saturday game? Tonight seems a bit early but given our collective excitement right now I could try and cobble (no pun intended) one together for Northampton late this evening if required. 

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Unless there's a rule I don't know about, I'd say go for it. 

I'm buzzing already! 

(Got to be better than reading more of this twaddle!)

I'm of the understanding that the matchday thread starter continues until we lose?  🤷‍♂️
As @Rampantis currently... erm... running rampant, in terms of actual results and indeed quality of the opening posts, I think it would be very, very silly to put a spanner in that particular fine work.

Leave well alone I say, and let Rampant take us all the way to the Championship!

🐏

22 hours ago, S6 boy said:

I thought he looked like a beast in the first half and was thinking he'd slot in nicely between Cash and Nelson in a back three.  However it was obvious he is not great on the ball as our staff had devised a press which completely ignored him.  Some of the fans were not happy we were letting him have the ball with zero pressure, but to me it must have been deliberate.  It seemed to work too, as I don't remember him doing anything with the ball at his feet all match.

Crowd-wise that was the only thing that got on my tits.  It was obvious from the first time we did it that we were set up that way, yet everyone kept moaning to press him.  Pretty sure we do the same in another game earlier on the season, can’t remember who though…

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Payback's a bitch for the absolute daylight robbery we suffered at the hands of your bunch of cheating scumbags and one-eyed match officials earlier in the season.

For all of boltons huff and puff,I have felt more vulnerable in recent matches,wildsmith earning his coin with that save apart.for the last 10,15 minutes Bolton only tactic was hopefull long throws into the box,easily dealt with by the excellent defence 

36 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm of the understanding that the matchday thread starter continues until we lose?  🤷‍♂️
As @Rampantis currently... erm... running rampant, in terms of actual results and indeed quality of the opening posts, I think it would be very, very silly to put a spanner in that particular fine work.

Leave well alone I say, and let Rampant take us all the way to the Championship!

🐏

They were asking when, not who.

I tend to see it somewhat differently to the way you do. You say Bolton were the better team - I argue that our defence and goalkeeper were better than your attack and our attack was better than your defence. It matters not how much possession or dominance you had it meant diddly squit. Other than the two shots that were brilliantly saved (I concede that the header seemed harder to miss than score, but it was brilliantly saved) you troubled our goalkeeper very little cans the shots fir both sides were the same. Derby converted one of their 6 goal attempts and Bolton didn’t score any from their 6 attempts 
Bolton very rarely got in Derby’s Penalty box and as I’ve said before Derby’s defence is pretty damn good and delt with everything well. 

10 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

OK just for you, it was handball.

But the reality is we created the better chances and didn't take them, and a lot of credit has to go to your goalie. Equally, the responsibility lies with our strikers who are simply not as ruthless as our usual starters, especially Dion Charles.

As I mentioned during the match when we were battering you but couldn't score in a brothel, it was obvious that you'd get a scabby goal to win it which you did, but that's football folks - you don't always get what you deserve, and we didn't deserve to lose that, not that you care.

The irony is that it was Kane Wilson who was credited with the goal - a player we'd agreed a fee with Brizzle to sign, but didn't in the end as his personal terms and wage demands were too high for us, so he came to you instead.

Anyhoo, onwards and sideways.....

Why are you acting like you had some divine right to win because you passed the ball around more than we did?

If you look at the match stats, the figures don't show such a battering as some Wanderers fans would have us believe...

Shots: 10-6
On target 3-3
Total attempts from open play: 4-5
Total attempts from set-pieces: 6-1
Possession: 44-56
And this is the really key stat here...
Goals: 1-0.

Long story short, we have been the side that passes around patiently for many years, don't always have the ruthless edge, and feel aggrieved because another side has out-thought and out-fought us. We haven't finished in the automatic places playing that way, more efficient sides have beaten us to it. You may not have "deserved" to lose it, but you conceded a goal and we didn't, so you lost.

You have already criticised our playing style, fair enough. We'd all like to watch Barcelona in black and white with a Ram on their chest, but that doesn't always get you out of the league.

I'm also not sure how a free header (really well taken by Kane Wilson, by the way) from a corner is "scabby" by the way? Perhaps if you could score more "scabby" goals then you might not have to spend your free-time crying on forums of League One clubs next season.

Sore head today. Trying to digest the match, it was exactly how I thought it was going to be. 50/50 match. Okay, Bolton had more possession and looked more dangerous on the ball but ultimately they did not create anywhere near enough chances. Wildsmith with some unbelievable saves kept us in the game early on. Defensively our best game of the season. Nobody was getting past the back 3. They were collosal. Everybody got stuck in and threw their bodies on the line. It was an excellent display of discipline and solidity. We treated it like a cup final (that lovely clique) and we won.

4 points clear in 2nd. 5 wins out of the 7 remaining games should do it. We can afford to have a stinker of the match if for whatever reason the team have an off day. Looking at the remaining fixtures, this is a golden opportunity for the automatic spots. You never know, we might have the chance to celebrate our promotion on the final day. Have a great day out with no stress. After supporting Derby County for 30+ years, we might actually get over the line comfortably for a change! 

I'm glad to see the supporters put aside their opinions on the manager and really drive the team along. Everyone can sense it, we are close to getting out of this pit of a division. We can debate about how Warne will tackle the Championship in the summer when we're bored silly, waiting for England to start their Euros campaign. I've moaned about him enough this season but I can bury my feelings about him and focus on the team getting the points in the bag.

Fingers crossed we can have a natural striker fit to get us to the end.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think I see a change in pace and direction of the header as it gets close to the goal. Does this mean it'll be credited to Waggy? 😅

It definitely hits the Bolton defender before going in. In the still image which I've seen (think it's on this thread), where handball is questioned, it definitely brushes Waggy's hip, could can see the ripple of his shirt around the ball. There's nothing obvious in real time, I think Wilson deserves it for the quality of the header and the excitement in his celebrations personally.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

I’ve never understood this “deserve to win” phrase that keeps cropping up. The only team that deserves to win is the one which scores the most goals. Simple as that

Unless it’s florist obviously or Dirty Leeds .. oh and Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Wycombe and some others 😂