Match Thread: vs Bristol Rovers (a)

8 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Unbelievable - when someone dares to suggest an alternative view that maybe critical of the management after a win the person making the post get criticised for not enjoying the win and then when it’s quiet and those posters are enjoying the win as much as everyone else (yes they are still Derby county fans too!) there often seems to be certain posters who insist on  making goading/smug/immature/unnecessary/antagonistic posts 

well done @NottsRam77 brilliant stuff - keep it up!, us moaners need to be told - no place for some potential unity as things get to the serious end of the season. 

you sound like my ex wife .. always had to get a dig in … never did work out where that kind of streak comes from… probably because I didn’t care because I don’t respect that kind of passive aggressive BS

well done Derby 

Everyone played their part 

it was also good to see Warne interacting more with the fans at the end

well done to our fantastic fans as usual 

Just seen the subsequent posts discussing this - fair play all round 

Hope you enjoyed your curry last night  @NottsRam77

Really enjoyed yesterday.  The last two games are a bit like how I imagine Warne wants us to play.  The first half was some of the best football we’ve played, just lacked a goal.  First goal was a bit scrappy/ lucky but the other 2 were great moves.

This 3 at the back is really working, and how I like to see it played.  I do think LWB is Sibley’s best position.  And Ward is looking like the player we signed. I’ve also been really impressed with Bradley. The 3 CB’s look a proper unit now.  It’s a shame we’re without Bird for a few weeks but I think we’ll be fine as we have options to cover him.  I’d be more concerned if Adam’s was out as I think he’s critical to making this formation work.  He’s good protection for the back 3 allowing the WB’s to be more attacking.

Game 2 of an important month out of the way.

I've said all along we should fear nobody and I sense the players are now starting to feel that way themselves which is critical in a game where confidence and form are almost as important as ability. Portsmouth are sitting pretty up top right now, but in no way are they home and hosed yet, not by a long chalk. 

As for the game, well I didn't see it being an easy match at all, but in hindsight, I think this was likely our most complete performance of the season. Our back three, led by the much maligned Sonny Bradley, looked really solid again and whilst not quite hitting the high notes of last week's game, in Sibs and Ward we seem to have a pair of wing backs who can trouble any side in this division. Ebou is the enforcer in midfield so many told me was not required and 'not a Warne player', while Gayle's intelligence and endeavour is surely now clear for all to see. There was some really silly stuff posted about him joining the club and it's pleasing to see him make a mockery of those rather one-eyed assessments. He has a a huge class edge over the vast majority of this league and as predicted, is scoring for fun. He's also improving the players around him and this only a few games into his time here too. 

Cash and Nelson scarcely need mentioning; two more consistent defenders, you'll absolutely not find in this league and they will more than hold their own at a higher level. Barks, whose form has been in and out this season to the point I was ready to give up on him, is now flying. I'd actually had him as MOTM yesterday and that's not something I would have seen before the game. Nate is building rapport with Gayle and finding more space with Gayle dragging defenders left and right and we have all manner of options in midfield. How things have changed in that regard.

Last, but not least, there's Warne. I've never seen a manager at this club take so much flak. He made a comment about the fans chants (during the Stevenage game) in a recent interview and how he was glad his family were not at the game as it would have, 'broken my heart'. I f****** hate to hear that to be honest and I think his treatment on balance, and not just by a small minority either, has been a disgrace. For that reason, it was lovely to see our seemingly always staunch away fans giving him a good cheer post-match yesterday. He's earned it and whilst I never wanted him here, he's very much earned my respect. 

Looking forwards, we have 3 tough home games to navigate (Reading, Bolton & Blackpool) prior to month-end and if we play well enough to sit 2nd when they're done and dusted, the title is there for the taking. It'll take a herculean effort from the chaps, but I think they can do and I shan't be giving up on us until topping the table becomes a mathematical impossibility.

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, Stockport Ram said:

Barkhuisen involved in all 3. I’m no statto but I’d venture to suggest that his goals/assists per minutes played would be almost as good (if not better) than NML. Someone will know and post it though.....

Yet again, pure numbers don’t seem to tell the full story - he’ll get no Official assist for the third but it was a crucial dummy which made Waggy’s job simple.

It was Wilson with the dummy for the third.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Another goal and assist from Barkhuizen. May actually start to be appreciated now 

Yes, no coincidence we look much better with Barkhuizen back in the side. Get the sense his languid, slightly disheveled demeanour masks his true quality & workrate in the eyes of some. He is significantly better than Kane Wilson in that role...a genuine final third threat & likely creates more space for Gayle & Mendez-Laing with being on the park. Another crucial part of this well balanced team.

It's good to see some of the signings who people doubted starting to show their qualities. The same can be applied to other players who have divided opinion like Smith, Sibley and Barkhuizen who are hitting form now it seems. Barks is a bit like Hourihane - great stats on goals, assists and key contributions but sometimes look a little lightweight for this league. Perhaps the inclusion now of Adams has made their frailties less important than their strengths?

Either way, the overall strength and variety in our squad is beginning to tell.

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I really like the balance of Sibley and Ward as wing backs. I think Sibley in particular is excelling in that role and should keep his shirt in that position

I said a few weeks back that Louie seemed to have turned a corner and was adding consistency to his game, irrespective of where he was asked to play. Some might argue that that is to Warne's credit too, as a string of managers have failed to get the best from the lad in the way he now appears to be and whatever has clicked, it's certainly helping Nate too. The pair of them are a handful for any side at this level and have struck up a really good understanding. Ebou's contribution providing the cover required to allow Sibs to maraud forwards should be noted too. 

Joe Ward is a quality WB at this level and while it puzzles me that he's taken time to find his form, his quality is clear for all to see now. In a position that makes huge physical demands on a player, perhaps them 'arriving late' might benefit us, as that role over 50+ games is a man-killer, whereas our lads are comparatively fresh and are improving all the while.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself or allow myself to be excited, but.. I feel like something has finally clicked.

Best performance we’ve ever had under Warne, in my opinion. We’ve fell on to a workable system, the main reason was the recruitment staff doing their job and finding a gem in Ebou Adams and very recently I think it’s not in any small part to having to change the dynamic with Gayle upfront. I believe these two signings in particular have changed our fortunes, similarly to how Nyambe did earlier in the season.

Sibley and Ward are excelling. The defence are well balanced, the cohesion between the midfield and defence is significantly better, gaps aren’t as freely available for the other team and we are now working well going forward. I think we actually look like a team now, which for the majority of the season has definitely been missing something. The last two performances, the dynamic of the team, I’m finally hopeful. 

A hundred times this - and what a time to find it.

While some would argue Warne should have found this balance a while ago, our season has been so disrupted by injuries, it's little wonder it has taken this long.

7 hours ago, Archied said:

I read all the posts regards people not wanting to go to games , not wanting to renew in this god awful league , under warne , poor football ect ect ect and to a degree I get it but as I’ve said I’m really enjoying my time going to watch derby at present and since the meltdown and rise from the ashes and I can honestly say the excitement/ butterflies I feel for this comming weeks two games and for the run in is right up there with the good times I’ve had watching derby over 55 plus years , I do feel for any fans who have lost that spark in the situation we are in 

This last week has been pivotal, in a massively significant way - taking us from loads of people being hacked off to the point of jacking it all in to now looking forwards to the next matches. At last!!!

5 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Anyone you know?……………..Some happy folks on here!  👍😁

Look at what it means to them all.

Not least Dwight Gayle, who's been here all of five minutes - just watching the way he celebrates Barky's goal makes me smile

Edited by Animal is a Ram

Was there yesterday, best away performance of the season imo, so proud of the lads , the togetherness in the team is second to none , the manager has done an unbelievable job , really happy for him, 2 massive home games this week so give all the support you can and keep the faith because I firmly believe The Rams are on the way back

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

‘Dummy’ is being generous haha he’s tried to flick it in and missed completely 😂

I was just replying to a post by @Stockport Ram who mentioned "dummy". To be fair, having watched it again, you may be right, but I prefer to give Wison the benefit of the doubt!😁

Sounds great! I was visiting my newest grandson in Grimsby and couldn't watch, or even suffer Radio Derby! So thanks guys for your updates on here!

I thought I would wait for the Full 90 video to go live, only to find that I needed to subscribe to be able to watch it. Even paying for the Live matchday programme doesn't open the door. I've subscribed before, but it is almost impossible to cancel when I've wanted to leave, so didn't bother. Shame, really - I am a regular, via going non-dom for the away matches! So GRRRR to Rams TV!

Roll on Tuesday night!