Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Really important result, a game that looked very tricky and did prove so on the day, but it was vital that we got three points. It would be great if that winner can give Sibley some confidence. He is one of our most technically gifted players, with a clear eye for goal but his form recently has not been up to it. He can help cover the absence of Collins if he can step up. 

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

What's mildly infuriating is the nonsense being spouted out as a result of a win although I can't speak for others - someone even had the cheek to mention IQ, meanwhile we've been reading gems such as:

"Great win that" - As opposed to the wins that aren't great, guess what the one before was "great" too
"It was all about the 3 points" - Whilst certain other games are about something else, friendlies I suppose
"We deserved this win" - No comment
"Not lucky at all" - No, only 4 flukes out of the last 5
"Our form is brilliant / Warne great job / Others bottling it" - 1 deserved win in the last 7
"So proud of them" - 0 shots at ht at home sure was a new high, not embarrassing at all for an autos contender or Dcfc in L1 according to another poster
"They fought til the end" - As though other sides wouldn't try to recover the ball and get it forward drawing at home against a similar or inferior opponent, they would all lie down with "I surrender" placards
"Result not performance" - "Alright lads today you don't have to create much or defend that great, it's all about the goal and the clean sheet"
"Was always going to be ugly" - Nought to do with us not being good enough to break them down and make it not ugly, it was fate or just one team on the pitch
"This year is not about enjoyment" - Ok we might not have enjoyed it today with 2 chances at home but we damn well will when -assuming status quo- we create fa in the Championship!
"Ref did very well" - Just the one major decision out of one wrong

I despair

Not quite sure why you appear so annoyed about a game we won? Whether you thought the performance was good or not, as a supporter I would have expected you to be pleased that we won the game. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Really important result, a game that looked very tricky and did prove so on the day, but it was vital that we got three points. It would be great if that winner can give Sibley some confidence. He is one of our most technically gifted players, with a clear eye for goal but his form recently has not been up to it. He can help cover the absence of Collins if he can step up. 

This is a tough one, Sibley has been given a few opportunities after a couple of good performances with PW but not taken them, It hasn't helped him with having to play in a few positions, Is the time right for a longer spell in the team...I'm going to sitting_on_the_fence_lg_wht.gif&ehk=RpvU

2 hours ago, sage said:

His arm was raised to head height and away from his body. The current laws give too many handballs, for me it should be just deliberate, but under current rules and how they are applied, I'd expect that to be given.

That's 2 clear penalties we've got away with in the last 3 home games. After some other games such as Bolton, we were due some rub.

I agree.

I didn't see it at the time, but looking at it today if the ref sees it, I'm surprised he didn't give it. If it had been the other way around, I would have expected a penalty.

3 hours ago, sage said:

His arm was raised to head height and away from his body. The current laws give too many handballs, for me it should be just deliberate, but under current rules and how they are applied, I'd expect that to be given.

That's 2 clear penalties we've got away with in the last 3 home games. After some other games such as Bolton, we were due some rub.

Yes, I think we got away with one there but, as you say, there have been plenty of decisions gone against us.

For me, I don’t think it should need to be deliberate for a handball to be given. I’d say it should be handball if 1) it was deliberate or 2) your arm is in an unnatural position and you have gained an advantage/the other team has been disadvantaged. 

On 16/02/2024 at 16:10, Crewton said:

I doubt you'll have to book a table at the Coro - might be worth phoning to check what food they're doing.

If you intend to go there, why not park there? No residents parking outside, 20-ish mins walk to the stadium along the canal path behind. After the game, easy access onto Harvey road and away.

Thanks for the advice. Parked on the road near The Coronation. Good meals before the game and the walk was indeed around 20 minutes, though it felt less on the way back with the spring in our step after Sibbo's late winner.

3 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

This is a tough one, Sibley has been given a few opportunities after a couple of good performances with PW but not taken them, It hasn't helped him with having to play in a few positions, Is the time right for a longer spell in the team...I'm going to sitting_on_the_fence_lg_wht.gif&ehk=RpvU

In recent games Sibley has shown great ability at left back and done well in midfield. Great to see his  increased maturity and his eradication of the reckless fouls which were such a feature  of his play,  regularly costing us dangerous free kicks. He 's an important squad member and deserves a new contract.

My only disappointment was that the Sibley goal wasn't scored in the 91st minute - the ref finally booked their keeper for timewasting and suggested a minute would be added on, and I felt it would be deliciously ironic for the winner to be during that one minute of added on time. Dammmmm! It's Warne's fault for bringing Sibley too early!

5 hours ago, sage said:

Can you find a still of both incidents? I haven't seen the replay from the one yesterday (it didn't even occur to me it was near an arm), but I also have no idea what the one from 3 games ago was 😅

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can you find a still of both incidents? I haven't seen the replay from the one yesterday (it didn't even occur to me it was near an arm), but I also have no idea what the one from 3 games ago was 😅

Beyong my tech skills. It was when Bradley cleared off the line. The ball got there from Nelson's elbow/forearm.

The previous one has Sibley at left back and he was trying to usher a bouncing ball back to the keeper and kicked the player in the abdomen.

18 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Oh come on. Even the most adamant warne fans would have to admit Mcgoldrick carried the team and warne last season. 

You cant seriously believe warne was responsible for how good McGoldrick was. 

Why was he unfancied? 

Do you think McGoldrick having such a good season was maybe down to the fact he was now playing against far worse teams than he had done for years? 

He was playing in the premier league 18 months before joining us. 

Nobody said anything about making players good. No one manager is responsible for making McGoldrick the player he is.

You were talking about getting the best out of players - setting up a team to maximising a player's returns? We were set up to get McGoldrick shooting chances, as well as make use of his *gorgeous* first touch. I miss him... where was I?

Oh yeah, interesting you ignore the current players, mind.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Nobody said anything about making players good. No one manager is responsible for making McGoldrick the player he is.

You were talking about getting the best out of players - setting up a team to maximising a player's returns? We were set up to get McGoldrick shooting chances, as well as make use of his *gorgeous* first touch. I miss him... where was I?

Oh yeah, interesting you ignore the current players, mind.

the original post literally says 'warne gave mcgoldrick his best ever season'

By 'set up to get Mcgoldrick shooting chances', you mean pass the ball to him and let him do something to create a shot himself

the current players have nothing to do with how well mcgoldrick did last year

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

the original post literally says 'warne gave mcgoldrick his best ever season'

By 'set up to get Mcgoldrick shooting chances', you mean pass the ball to him and let him do something to create a shot himself

the current players have nothing to do with how well mcgoldrick did last year

You really need to take a break from arguing for arguments sake as it's making you look foolish imo. Anything of value in some of your comments are lost in stuff like this.....

We absolutely set up to play to his strengths,  just like we had set up for Collins better this year, hence JC's better returns than last.

For your argument to work, then he would have at least matched last year's stats this year with dropping down a division,  so go check them out.... to get to the same level this year he will have to create 3 and score 10 in approximately the next 5 games worth for Notts....... hmmm, maybe its because they aren't set up purely for him as they play another striker up top? 

So as your argument is that league 1 is poor (but not as poor as this year mind) and just him doing his thing last year afforded him all those goals, then it stands to reason league 2 must be better then?