Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Saturday 17th February 2024. 3pm kick-off.

Back on home soil as we look to stretch the unbeaten run to 5 games.

I fancy Barkuizen to come back into the starting 11 for this one off the back of him scoring last night. Hopefully Collo’s knee(?) isn’t too sore and he’s passed fit enough to feature.

Another 3 points on the board would do just nicely!

UTR! 🐏

Edited by Heisenberg
Title change

46 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

We've got better players than stevenage so let's set the team up to take the game to them and outplay them.  None of this setting up to counter their threat or getting drawn into a battle with them.

I think we'll have to battle with them mate. I don't think we'll have a deal of choice as if we don't at least front up and earn the right to play our football, then this will likely go the same way as the last time we met. That said, I'm hopeful that'll not be the case as we are a slightly different team and we will know what we need to do. In all honesty, I'm just hoping the officials will not allow this to descend into a free-for-all where we get kicked all over the park. We don't seem to get much protection, do we, so while I agree that we can play better than Stevenage, I suspect this will be about who wants the most and I doubt it'll be easy on the eye. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Wilson   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Bird   Adams   Hourihane

Mendez-Laing   Collins   Barkhuizen

Subs: JThompson, Bradley, Ward, Sibley, Smith, Thompson, Blackett-Taylor

Spot on unless Nyambe is fit, lets go 433, and play them off the park, we have enough to get the 3 points, and us as fans need to stay with them, as Stevenage will come and try to upset us, and play the dark arts, so patience could be required, but if we get a early break through, don't be surprised if we don't get another 3-0 victory. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

41 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Spot on unless Nyambe is fit, lets go 433, and play them off the park, we have enough to get the 3 points, and us as fans need to stay with them, as Stevenage will come and try to upset us, and play the dark arts, so patience could be required, but if we get a early break through, don't be surprised if we don't get another 3-0 victory. 

I was thinking earlier the crowd could have a huge part to play on Saturday, not that it doesn’t normally, but against a side known for their strong arm approach I think backing the lads throughout AND applying pressure if and when the ref inevitably doesn’t protect our players will be even more necessary 

I'm looking forwards to the difference Adams will make until the ref sets out to book him for daring to bring a bit of steel into our midfield, whilst allowing Stevenage to wander around whacking us with lead pipes. 

I am expecting this to be really ugly, but look to a touch of class here or there to swing the match in our favour. Decent match officials would be nice, but we've had one set this season already, so that's that then. 

As we near the business end of the season, with 14 games to go, the path to automatics is becoming more distinct:

• win 11 and we're likely promoted;
  • win 10 and it's very much in the balance;
  • win 9 and it's the playoffs for us.

Those 14 games are split 8 home and 6 away:

1. H Stevenage
  2. A Barnsley
  3. H Charlton
  4. H Port Vale
  5. A Bristol Rovers
  6. H Reading
  7. H Bolton
  8. A Northampton
  9. H Blackpool
  10. A Portsmouth
  11. A Wycombe
  12. H Orient
  13. A Cambridge
  14. H Carlisle

We used up one life last Saturday by only drawing at home to Shrewsbury. If we want automatic promotion, in this mediocre division draws are effectively defeats unless playing Bolton or Portsmouth.

For this match we need to step it up in home, as we should be hoping/expecting to win 7 out of the 8 remaining home games, and then 4 out of the 6 remaining away games. It isn't quite "must-win" but it very nearly is. Let's hope the crowd gets behind the lads, and the lads give the crowd strong reason to get behind them. Come on you Rams!

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Buoyed by the positive performance and result last night, think we’ll see largely the same team and we’ll have a positive result, and hopefully a good performance like last night although Stevenage will make this one ugly game of football 

Precisely; with Steve Evans as Bandit Tuco…

IMG_6397.jpeg

Edited by Ellafella

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I was thinking earlier the crowd could have a huge part to play on Saturday, not that it doesn’t normally, but against a side known for their strong arm approach I think backing the lads throughout AND applying pressure if and when the ref inevitably doesn’t protect our players will be even more necessary 

I don't think the players do this enough themselves.  Roll around a bit more to get a couple of early yellows, then a bit of handbags and some ref screaming in a pack of 4 for the next foul can be vital.  The refs are that bad you have too force your own decision in this league.  Been on the end of far too many awful reds dodgy penos and undeserved bookings to not play the game over the last 3rd of the season. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

As we near the business end of the season, with 14 games to go, the path to automatics is becoming more distinct:

• win 11 and we're likely promoted;
  • win 10 and it's very much in the balance;
  • win 9 and it's the playoffs for us.

Those 14 games are split 8 home and 6 away:

1. H Stevenage
  2. A Barnsley
  3. H Charlton
  4. H Port Vale
  5. A Bristol Rovers
  6. H Reading
  7. H Bolton
  8. A Northampton
  9. H Blackpool
  10. A Portsmouth
  11. A Wycombe
  12. H Orient
  13. A Cambridge
  14. H Carlisle

We used up one life last Saturday by only drawing at home to Shrewsbury. If we want automatic promotion, in this mediocre division draws are effectively defeats unless playing Bolton or Portsmouth.

For this match we need to step it up in home, as we should be hoping/expecting to win 7 out of the 8 remaining home games, and then 4 out of the 6 remaining away games. It isn't quite "must-win" but it very nearly is. Let's hope the crowd gets behind the lads, and the lads give the crowd strong reason to get behind them. Come on you Rams!

Mendez said something in his interview about being set a target of 10 wins, I think?

13 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Right at the start, "All we can do is keep winning. The gaffer's given us a target of 10 wins and that's another one ticked off." Which suggests that Exeter wasn't the first win of the 10 targetted by Warne.

Mention for how good the pitch was to play on too…..hint for Pride Park improvement please I’m sure.