Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

think our tactics and formation had them in disarray at the start, their coaches were flying around the technical area with bits of paper trying to work out how they should set up. It was quite funny to watch. Their main coach, a Steve Evans lookalike but 12 stones lighter, never stopped shouting and organising  all game. Evans appeared every now and again to vent his spleen to the 4th official who did an excellent job to ignore him. It was as good a watch as the match itself.

This. We had fun watching the circus too. Evans was like a cuckoo clock how he "popped" out to express outrage. The younger one wasnt much better. The melodramatic outrage was hilarious. Assume you are in West just behind where they were too?

I don't even think the so-called handball was a penalty. Nelson was behind Wildsmith and two Stevenage players contesting the cross. He couldn't possibly have anticipated that all of them, particularly Wildsmith, would have missed the ball. When Wildsmith did indeed miss the ball, Nelson had insufficient time to react to get out of the way. The ball hit his forearm, which was INFRONT of his torso (therefore not making his body bigger) and rebounded towards the goal, where Bradley cleared it. It was certainly ball to arm, not vice-versa, and certainly not deliberate. Neither was the ball heading towards goal or even towards a Stevenage player. If Nelson's arm had been somewhere else, the ball would have hit his torso and quite likely not even required Bradley to make a goal-line clearance. There was no denial of a goalscoring opportunity for Stevenage either therefore.

If someone wants to speculate what VAR might have said about it, or the referee if he'd been able to review it, go ahead, but to me it didn't satisfy any of the requirements for a handball offence to be awarded.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If someone wants to speculate what VAR might have said about it, or the referee if he'd been able to review it, go ahead, but to me it didn't satisfy any of the requirements for a handball offence to be awarded.

I'll start by saying VAR advised the official at Luton Vs Sheff Utd last week to view 2 handballs, No fcuking way were they penalties...imo but both given.

Yesterday Man City Vs Chelsea a cross comes into the box and players jump for the ball, The ball then for a second nestles in a Chelsea players forearm in the box where he then moves his arm to nudge it away...VAR no penalty

VAR shows that it all depends who's in the box at Stockley Park, Games are won and lost on the opinion of a burke in a box.

As for yesterday...as @sage would say...it's give-able 🤷‍♂️  

10 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I'll start by saying VAR advised the official at Luton Vs Sheff Utd last week to view 2 handballs, No fcuking way were they penalties...imo but both given.

Yesterday Man City Vs Chelsea a cross comes into the box and players jump for the ball, The ball then for a second nestles in a Chelsea players forearm in the box where he then moves his arm to nudge it away...VAR no penalty

VAR shows that it all depends who's in the box at Stockley Park, Games are won and lost on the opinion of a burke in a box.

But that’s just your opinion 😉

Gosh this thread is a hard read at times. For those of you so dissatisfied at Warne, the style of football etc, genuine question. Did you not get any enjoyment from scoring a near last minute goal and the amazing atmosphere that it created in the ground? Did you not enjoy the celebrations amongst the players and fans at the end of the match? Did you not enjoy the infectious enthusiasm of Adams interview afterwards? Didn't you enjoy getting three points and remaining second in the league? Because it honestly feels like none of this brings you any joy, and I find that hard to understand.

15 hours ago, ap04 said:

I will try and clarify it for you. We currently are
4th luckiest in the league on this (xG vs actual)
5th luckest in the league on this (same metric)
5th or 6th luckiest in the league on xG points vs actual (-7 excluding today, same source)

By my database
Chances to goals scored (3.09, avg 3.72) is as lucky as it gets after 33 games
Chances to goals conceded (4.17) is luckier than 72% of teams
The two combined (1.08) is luckier than 86% of teams - for reference last season was quite unlucky and this was only 0.38 against
Finally on results we are 8 points better off, this is luckier than 88% of teams

I’ll take the luck till the end of the season and finish second. My Mum was Irish and if I can throw a sprinkling of that our way then I’ll be a very contented Ram. 
Looking I See You GIF by GritTV

35 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't even think the so-called handball was a penalty. Nelson was behind Wildsmith and two Stevenage players contesting the cross. He couldn't possibly have anticipated that all of them, particularly Wildsmith, would have missed the ball. When Wildsmith did indeed miss the ball, Nelson had insufficient time to react to get out of the way. The ball hit his forearm, which was INFRONT of his torso (therefore not making his body bigger) and rebounded towards the goal, where Bradley cleared it. It was certainly ball to arm, not vice-versa, and certainly not deliberate. Neither was the ball heading towards goal or even towards a Stevenage player. If Nelson's arm had been somewhere else, the ball would have hit his torso and quite likely not even required Bradley to make a goal-line clearance. There was no denial of a goalscoring opportunity for Stevenage either therefore.

Certainly seen them given. One thing's for sure though - I'd be absolutely screaming for it if roles were reversed!

And if it wasn't given, I'd be straight on here after the game lamenting how bad the refs are and how corrupt the EFL is 😆

14 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

genuine question. Did you not get any enjoyment from scoring a near last minute goal

It's worse than that. Some people were clearly furious about it, because they were so juiced and ready to start attacking PW for mis-managing a 0-0 bore draw. Almost like being on their vinegar strokes and their mum walking in on them...😂

It's a curious and downright weird segment of the fan base.

32 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

And who the person in Stockley park supports 

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

His arm was raised to head height and away from his body. The current laws give too many handballs, for me it should be just deliberate, but under current rules and how they are applied, I'd expect that to be given.

That's 2 clear penalties we've got away with in the last 3 home games. After some other games such as Bolton, we were due some rub.

I think that we need 2 new topics on this forum, a happy clappers' one whereby only positive opinions are allowed and a moaning minnies one where only critical opinions are allowed.

This would reduce the vitriol aimed at fellow Rams and those of not interested in the others' opinions need not read them.

18 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Certainly seen them given. One thing's for sure though - I'd be absolutely screaming for it if roles were reversed!

And if it wasn't given, I'd be straight on here after the game lamenting how bad the refs are and how corrupt the EFL is 😆

Can you imagine what would have happened to Steve Evans' head though if the ref had blown for a penalty immediately, the ball had then crossed the line but the penalty had to be taken, but Stevenage missed it? 😅

36 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I think that we need 2 new topics on this forum, a happy clappers' one whereby only positive opinions are allowed and a moaning minnies one where only critical opinions are allowed.

This would reduce the vitriol aimed at fellow Rams and those of not interested in the others' opinions need not read them.

That'll just lead to the kind of echo chambers we see in wider social media - people just agreeing with like minded people & progressively getting more extreme in their opinions & more intolerant of opposite views. We're a football club, a mass of people with one shared ambition.

Reality is there are less than 5 posters I can think of across both sides who look to troll - best to block them if they're upsetting you so much. To close your mind off to well argued contrarian opinion is always a mistake IMO. I am adamant that Warne isn't the right long term manager for Derby but I'll be damned if I can't express my short term joy at results with fellow Rams (some of whom are very supportive of him) & discuss differences of opinion in terms of his long term suitability. It may be there are points that I haven't considered that other posters are using to justify their faith in Warne - recently read some comparing to Klopp & his record in German football which was interesting to read (even if I don't particularly agree)

You've never going to avoid opinions you don't like at the game itself either so don't see the value in restricting it here.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

41 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's worse than that. Some people were clearly furious about it, because they were so juiced and ready to start attacking PW for mis-managing a 0-0 bore draw. Almost like being on their vinegar strokes and their mum walking in on them...😂

It's a curious and downright weird segment of the fan base.

Yep the anger from a couple was there plain to see , it’s very strange 

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

That'll just lead to the kind of echo chambers we see in wider social media - people just agreeing with like minded people & progressively getting more extreme in their opinions & more intolerant of opposite views. We're a football club, a mass of people with one shared ambition.

Reality is there are less than 5 posters I can think of across both sides who look to troll - best to block them if they're upsetting you so much. To close your mind off to well argued contrarian opinion is always a mistake IMO. I am adamant that Warne isn't the right long term manager for Derby but I'll be damned if I can't express my short term joy at results with fellow Rams (some of whom are very supportive of him) & discuss differences of opinion in terms of his long term suitability. It may be there are points that I haven't considered that other posters are using to justify their faith in Warne - recently read some comparing to Klopp & his record in German football which was interesting to read (even if I don't particularly agree)

You've never going to avoid opinions you don't like at the game itself either so don't see the value in restricting it here either.

A bit a wedding day where half the guests won’t congratulate and share your joy but rather keep comming up and telling you how stupid you are to be happy and no way will it last😂

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

A bit a wedding day where half the guests won’t congratulate and share your joy but rather keep comming up and telling you how stupid you are to be happy and no way will it last😂

And you should have married Neil Warnock.