Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

48 minutes ago, sage said:

My thoughts on reflection are, it was a poor team selection in terms of lack of threat from wing back, reverting to a 2 in CM and stringing 3 across a front line which jammed up the space in front of the wing backs. We needed to be strong but trying to beat Stevenage at their own game seems ridiculous as they play it every week. We had no attempts at goal first half and were lucky they didn't score from theirs and be awarded a penalty.

Bringing Smith on for Wilson and Bird to revert to their best positions and for a midfield 3 to assert control, whilst a front 2 allowed the wing backs space changed the game. Then later as they seemed to tire and their subs seemed a drop in quality, only one team looked like winning in the last 15 mins.

A draw would have been a fair result but I'm delighted with a win. I think the lack of a CF finally brought back that backs to the wall response from the crowd which along with superior fitness and bench carried us through.

I think the lack of tactical acumen from Warne was balanced out by achieving a high level of physical and mental resilience in the squad.

I disagree with you in that unless we stood up to them initially we would have been trampled on. Our front play early on was poor. NML wasn’t on his game, Barkhaizen brushed off the ball too easily, our passing was poor. We wore them down in the end, they tired and we got our goal. Wasn’t a great watch apart from the stupendous effort that was put in.

I think our tactics and formation had them in disarray at the start, their coaches were flying around the technical area with bits of paper trying to work out how they should set up. It was quite funny to watch. Their main coach, a Steve Evans lookalike but 12 stones lighter, never stopped shouting and organising  all game. Evans appeared every now and again to vent his spleen to the 4th official who did an excellent job to ignore him. It was as good a watch as the match itself.

But eventually our tactics paid off and we won the game. I think Warne and his coaches are far more astute than they are given credit for. Yes, it could have gone all wrong, but it didn’t on this occasion.

10 hours ago, ap04 said:

I will try and clarify it for you. We currently are
4th luckiest in the league on this (xG vs actual)
5th luckest in the league on this (same metric)
5th or 6th luckiest in the league on xG points vs actual (-7 excluding today, same source)

By my database
Chances to goals scored (3.09, avg 3.72) is as lucky as it gets after 33 games
Chances to goals conceded (4.17) is luckier than 72% of teams
The two combined (1.08) is luckier than 86% of teams - for reference last season was quite unlucky and this was only 0.38 against
Finally on results we are 8 points better off, this is luckier than 88% of teams

You should trying selling your database ...... there must be some numbskulls out there who would buy it, who prefer pouring over the data to actually enjoying the football .

But you are being perverse in choosing to use "luck" to describe why our scores being different to the prediction. You fail to point out that both Barnsley and Bolton are "luckier" than us. You don't grasp that doing better than predicted by your statistics isn't necessarily down to luck. None of the Xg sites claims their models can take account of all the variables. If it was sunny tomorrow when the weather forecasters said it would rain we might feel  lucky ignoring that equally  the weather forecaster's model was not a perfect predictor.

Worst of all is you anti-Derby stance, since you wouldn't use such language  otherwise.

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I think even you would admit I've been pretty consistent with my views win lose or draw. 

The standards of the club really must have fallen then if you think setting up so negatively and having 2 shots on goal in a 3rd division home game against stevenage isn't a bit embarrassing.

Alternatively a clean sheet, another 3 points against a team 7th in the league, 2nd in the league by 3 points and a good goal as well.

The standards are what they are really, a club getting back on his feet, under an EFL business plan, following nearly going out of business less than 2 years ago after being relegated to the third tier of English football following a 21 point deduction. 

Edited by Returning ram
Spelling

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

to describe why our scores being different to the prediction.

None of these are "predictions", they are all measured data from the actual games.

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You fail to point out that both Barnsley and Bolton are "luckier" than us.

Why would I, it was a response to somebody talking about Derby. But I actually posted exactly this about a week ago.

32 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

I disagree with you in that unless we stood up to them initially we would have been trampled on. Our front play early on was poor. NML wasn’t on his game, Barkhaizen brushed off the ball too easily, our passing was poor. We wore them down in the end, they tired and we got our goal. Wasn’t a great watch apart from the stupendous effort that was put in.

I think our tactics and formation had them in disarray at the start, their coaches were flying around the technical area with bits of paper trying to work out how they should set up. It was quite funny to watch. Their main coach, a Steve Evans lookalike but 12 stones lighter, never stopped shouting and organising  all game. Evans appeared every now and again to vent his spleen to the 4th official who did an excellent job to ignore him. It was as good a watch as the match itself.

But eventually our tactics paid off and we won the game. I think Warne and his coaches are far more astute than they are given credit for. Yes, it could have gone all wrong, but it didn’t on this occasion.

Never suggested we didn't need a strong side, in fact I said it was needed. Just one change was needed. They didn't look in disarray.  

I still think that if it’s three at the back then Wilson & Sibley have to be the wing backs.

I still think that if it’s a back four then Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin & Elder start.

I still think that if you include Blackett-Taylor then you have to play a front three.

I still think that it should be a midfield three of Adams Smith & Bird at Barnsley.

I still think that while we’re winning………………….sod it! 👍😁

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

15 hours ago, Archied said:

a few fans more angry and annoyed when we win than when we lose

What's mildly infuriating is the nonsense being spouted out as a result of a win although I can't speak for others - someone even had the cheek to mention IQ, meanwhile we've been reading gems such as:

"Great win that" - As opposed to the wins that aren't great, guess what the one before was "great" too
"It was all about the 3 points" - Whilst certain other games are about something else, friendlies I suppose
"We deserved this win" - No comment
"Not lucky at all" - No, only 4 flukes out of the last 5
"Our form is brilliant / Warne great job / Others bottling it" - 1 deserved win in the last 7
"So proud of them" - 0 shots at ht at home sure was a new high, not embarrassing at all for an autos contender or Dcfc in L1 according to another poster
"They fought til the end" - As though other sides wouldn't try to recover the ball and get it forward drawing at home against a similar or inferior opponent, they would all lie down with "I surrender" placards
"Result not performance" - "Alright lads today you don't have to create much or defend that great, it's all about the goal and the clean sheet"
"Was always going to be ugly" - Nought to do with us not being good enough to break them down and make it not ugly, it was fate or just one team on the pitch
"This year is not about enjoyment" - Ok we might not have enjoyed it today with 2 chances at home but we damn well will when -assuming status quo- we create fa in the Championship!
"Ref did very well" - Just the one major decision out of one wrong

I despair

9 minutes ago, ap04 said:

What's mildly infuriating is the nonsense being spouted out as a result of a win although I can't speak for others - someone even had the cheek to mention IQ, meanwhile we've been reading gems such as:

"Great win that" - As opposed to the wins that aren't great, guess what the one before was "great" too
"It was all about the 3 points" - Whilst certain other games are about something else, friendlies I suppose
"Our form is brilliant / Warne great job / Others bottling it" - 1 deserved win in the last 7
"So proud of them" - 0 shots at ht at home sure was a new high, not embarrassing at all for an autos contender or Dcfc in L1 according to another poster
"They fought til the end" - As though other sides wouldn't try to recover the ball and get it forward drawing at home against a similar or inferior opponent, they would all lie down with "I surrender" placards
"Result not performance" - "Alright lads today you don't have to create much or defend that great, it's all about the goal and the clean sheet"
"Was always going to be ugly" - Nought to do with us not being good enough to break them down and make it not ugly, it was fate or just one team on the pitch
"This year is not about enjoyment" - Ok we might not have enjoyed it today with 2 chances at home but we damn well will when -assuming status quo- we create fa in the Championship!

I despair

Go and lie down in a darkened room

10 minutes ago, ap04 said:

I despair

You despair at fans of the club being happy we won and have 3 more points on the board?

You keep mentioning abstract concepts like luck, fate, “deserved” wins and have seemingly created a database from which to derive your interpretations of those abstract concepts….factually we won yesterday, we also won on Tuesday night at Exeter, we are second in the form table over the last 6 games, 4th in the form table over the last 10 games, AND…crucially this is the big one…. Sit second in the actual league one table, not the “lucky table” or the “yes but what if table”, the actual league one table which is determined by actual results in football matches.

Here’s some evidence of the facts I’m talking about;

IMG_1718.png

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

40 minutes ago, ap04 said:

I despair

Just out of interest, have you ever been to an actual football match.