Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

11 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

the original post literally says 'warne gave mcgoldrick his best ever season'

By 'set up to get Mcgoldrick shooting chances', you mean pass the ball to him and let him do something to create a shot himself

the current players have nothing to do with how well mcgoldrick did last year

On the last line, true - but McGoldrick has nothing to do with how well the players I mentioned are doing this year.

On the rest - thanks to @Rich84 for taking that one on.

For the sake of my mental health, I give up. I don't mind Warne not being everyone's cup of tea (the David Brent comparisons always tickle me), but to not even acknowledge that he's doing something right - and he must be doing something right, we're 2nd for crying out loud - is just silly.

Depending on which hat you wear there's several ways of looking at it.

1st half. From one point of view it was a borefest of a game played in midfield with little happening in the goalmouth. There were 2 real chances, both to them. One saved well by JW and the other cleared off the line by Sonny Bradley who finally seems to have settled in and is showing exactly why we got him in. I don't remember us having a shot, on or off target. There were also some "pretty" passages of play which, unfortunately, led nowhere. For the neutral or the open minded there was plenty to see. A half of many faces. The South Stand started well but after 10 minutes or so, apart from the berating of Steve Evans, they and the rest of the crowd were pretty bland.

2md half saw the South Stand wake up and their infectiousness got to much of the ground ending in a lot of bouncing after the goal. The crowd's awakening seemed to light the players' blue touch paper and we were on top. A really enjoyable half that started to look like it would fade into a 0-0 draw... cue Sibs, the impact sub. Cracking ball for Smith to NML. Reports I've read go on to say NML crossed to Sibs.. I don't see it that way. They weren't all that far apart and I maintain that NML passed to Sibs who hit it first time into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Cue unbridled joy both on and off the pitch (unbridled joy if you're not Stevenage, their players were stunned, fans too, Steve Evans just got mardy as did others in his staff, one of whom got a yellow for his efforts). Worth the win, IMO.

Steve Evans? Will he ever answer the question posed by the South Stand? Has he ever seen it? Post match he claimed they should have had a penalty for a hand ball in the lead up to Bradley's goal line block. I won't comment on that as I didn't see it, if it happened. What Evans did miss was the 2 occasions in the first half when Derby players were thrown to the ground in the Stevenage penalty area. I've not yet seen the 2nd half charge on Barks back yet but it looked like a red from my vantage point on the front row some 10 yards North of the halfway line.

The ref? I have to say I found him even handed. Both sets of players were guilty of holding opponents and the ref ignored 90% of it. Eventually their keeper got yellowed for time wasting, far too late, IMO. Players of both sides went down unnecessarily, IMO, theirs more so than ours. The number of poor tackles he let go could have had a lasting effect, fortunately, it seems we have no new injuries from the clattering the lads got at times. One example is Sibs, about 30 seconds after coming on he gets clobbered. He just got up and got on with the game. A year ago he'd have exacted revenge... grown up a bit?

Basically, depending on your hat, it was a borefest, it was interesting, it was enjoyable. I left feeling that my various hats of former player, coach, referee and fan, had had enough to make it a good day out... and we won. Next up for me is the Reading and Bolton double header in mid March.

Stevenage tried to turn it into many 5 a side games. They crowded the ball quickly with multiple players and kept it boxed in and frantic. You can see how that works for them, especially when they're a short team with no real players above 6ft. Unfortunately for us, that meant the space first half was at full back, and neither Nyambe or Elder are adept with the ball at their feet to use that space.

We looked a little lost at times with what we were trying to do, in particular, Kane Wilson was struggling. He tried hard, just didn't really look like he had a clue what he was doing. The press was so frenetic it saw both teams seeing shadows at times and just ended up with getting rid of the ball thinking a challenge was coming, even if there was actually some time. 

It took Korey Smith to come on, which enabled us to get a better player on the ball in Kane Wilson going into the space at full back and Korey himself having the experience to realise when there was actually time to use for us to really get going in any sense of the word. 

Tough, attritional game which I think we did enough to win. I don't think Collins would have changed things first half, to be honest. I'm glad Hourihane didn't play, as I think he would've collapsed under that quick press in the first half. I think it played out how most thought, we were never going to stroll out and beat these, and it was nice to match them physically. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Stevenage tried to turn it into many 5 a side games. They crowded the ball quickly with multiple players and kept it boxed in and frantic. You can see how that works for them, especially when they're a short team with no real players above 6ft. Unfortunately for us, that meant the space first half was at full back, and neither Nyambe or Elder are adept with the ball at their feet to use that space.

We looked a little lost at times with what we were trying to do, in particular, Kane Wilson was struggling. He tried hard, just didn't really look like he had a clue what he was doing. The press was so frenetic it saw both teams seeing shadows at times and just ended up with getting rid of the ball thinking a challenge was coming, even if there was actually some time. 

It took Korey Smith to come on, which enabled us to get a better player on the ball in Kane Wilson going into the space at full back and Korey himself having the experience to realise when there was actually time to use for us to really get going in any sense of the word. 

Tough, attritional game which I think we did enough to win. I don't think Collins would have changed things first half, to be honest. I'm glad Hourihane didn't play, as I think he would've collapsed under that quick press in the first half. I think it played out how most thought, we were never going to stroll out and beat these, and it was nice to match them physically. 

Wilson seemed to spend a lot of the game thinking he was the striker. Almost permanently up top. It will be interesting to see how we set up at Barnsley next Saturday. As it's my birthday that day I'm hoping for a similar outcome to the Exeter game. COYR.

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

The glorious rendition of 'Fatty, Fatty what's the score' as the final whistle blew was a joy to behold.  I know its childish but i loved it. 

As did I. Just watched the highlights on RamsTV now I'm back home. With regard to Evans complaining they should have had a penalty a second before Bradley's goal line clearance... I'm very glad we don't have VAR in L1. The ball came off Nelson's right arm and it was away from his body. I'm certain VAR would have given it.

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

The glorious rendition of 'Fatty, Fatty what's the score' as the final whistle blew was a joy to behold.  I know its childish but i loved it. 

I have to say, I was a little disappointed not to hear the classic 'he's fat, he's round, he bounces on the ground'.

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

As did I. Just watched the highlights on RamsTV now I'm back home. With regard to Evans complaining they should have had a penalty a second before Bradley's goal line clearance... I'm very glad we don't have VAR in L1. The ball came off Nelson's right arm and it was away from his body. I'm certain VAR would have given it.

I think VAR would also have given us one when Elder got trapped in a sweaty man hug from one of their 7ft knuckle draggers.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think VAR would also have given us one when Elder got trapped in a sweaty man hug from one of their 7ft knuckle draggers.

I seem to remember 2 instances where we had players thrown to the ground in their penalty area. That attack on Barks in the 2nd half just inside their half isn't on the highlights reel so I'll fast forward on the full 90 to see why they got a throw in rather than us getting a free kick and their defender a possible (red?) card.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I have to say, I was a little disappointed not to hear the classic 'he's fat, he's round, he bounces on the ground'.

The best one was the classic you ate all the pies directed at a very large QPR who ran down to the front in the 1-1 at home under Billy Davies, immediately followed by fatty wants a burger when the stewards grabbed him, immediately followed by no mates, fatty has got no mates when he was sat in a seat away from the rest, Immediately followed by fattys going home when he jumped out his seat in a rage and was removed from the stadium.

29 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The best one was the classic you ate all the pies directed at a very large QPR who ran down to the front in the 1-1 at home under Billy Davies, immediately followed by fatty wants a burger when the stewards grabbed him, immediately followed by no mates, fatty has got no mates when he was sat in a seat away from the rest, Immediately followed by fattys going home when he jumped out his seat in a rage and was removed from the stadium.

Remember to this day the loud chant ‘who’s the fattie in the hat’ to a Brum supporter at the BBG the season we went up to the first division under Arthur. The game where we were 2-0 down in the first 15 mins and then roared back and drew 2-2. Those were the days. Still tickles me🤣

8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

On the last line, true - but McGoldrick has nothing to do with how well the players I mentioned are doing this year.

On the rest - thanks to @Rich84 for taking that one on.

For the sake of my mental health, I give up. I don't mind Warne not being everyone's cup of tea (the David Brent comparisons always tickle me), but to not even acknowledge that he's doing something right - and he must be doing something right, we're 2nd for crying out loud - is just silly.

Yes that's true, but I never said McGoldrick affected how well the players are doing this year.

He is doing the absolute minimum that should be expected with a squad of players like this. My problem is that he's making it look so difficult and in my opinion we are picking up enough points despite warne rather than because of him. 

35 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

My problem is that he's making it look so difficult and in my opinion we are picking up enough points despite warne rather than because of him. 

Surprised you've not voiced this opinion before. Now you have, perhaps you could repeat it a dozen times a day, every day, please, as some on here are a tad forgetful.

Ta.

I was dreading this match, no Collins, Stevenage in your face thug football. But having watched it in the East stand and also looked at the highlights, some observations I noticed. First thing to mention, was Steve Evans pre-match moan, that playing in front of a 27-28k crowd that the fans might sway the ref. That's his game plan (reverse psychology), trying to get the ref on his teams side. Then throughout the game, he had his subs warming up down the sideline all through the game (most times 3 or more) and they were bickering at the ref in some of his decisions down that line (more Fatboy Evans cheating tactics).

Out of the top 7 teams currently battling it out for some form of promotion, Stevenage have only scored 46 goals and all their chances against us came from throw ins, corners and free kicks. Not a footballing team, not a nice man, I remember him years ago when he was Boston manager calling Nigel Clough's Burton Albion " A pub team".

6 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I seem to remember 2 instances where we had players thrown to the ground in their penalty area. That attack on Barks in the 2nd half just inside their half isn't on the highlights reel so I'll fast forward on the full 90 to see why they got a throw in rather than us getting a free kick and their defender a possible (red?) card.

The tackle on Barkhuizen looked fantastic from the Toyota upper. Perfectly timed.

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Out of the top 7 teams currently battling it out for some form of promotion, Stevenage have only scored 46 goals and all their chances against us came from throw ins, corners and free kicks. Not a footballing team, not a nice man, I remember him years ago when he was Boston manager calling Nigel Clough's Burton Albion " A pub team".

Was that just after Nigel referred to Boston as "that fat convicted tax fraudsters team"?

9 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I think his arm was infront of his body, not making his silhouette bigger. As Wildsmith and both Stevenage players all missed the ball, I don't think Nelson could avoid being hit - and he'd have fore-armed it into the net if Bradley hadn't cleared it, so Nelson actually caused a goal-scoring opportunity, he didn't prevent one. But I guess if VAR is now saying that anytime the ball strikes a defender on the arm in the penalty area then it's a penalty regardless of context, it's a good job we don't have VAR, because that's completely illogical.

One big plus about Paul Warne is we can definitely compete with our rivals in this league. Granted, we had that Stevenage away performance (let's forget that horror show) but on the whole we always look like we're in the game, even if we don't win. It was not a good game of football although Steve Evans was very much the instigator for making it a real slogfest. 

Warne is going to tick the promotion box. I'll put my neck on the line. Especially with signing Gayle who's a great footballer for this level, if he can play 60 minutes a match I'm happy. I can whine and moan about the football on show, Warne knows how to escape the league. I think in hindsight, all sides of the fan base want this. It has been a laugh playing League One teams, 3 seasons of this level would become a joke. I just pray he takes the standard up another level next season in the Championship.