Paul Warne

Day

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Even if that is the case, Warne has us in the automatic promotion places with 7 games to go, having won plenty of games, scored plenty of goals, and conceded less than a number of the other teams in the top 7.

Soooooo relative to the difficulty of the league this season, the team is doing well…. Don’t you think? 

And already more points than we achieved last season in total.

Multiple points of progress but it will never be enough for some 'fans'

5 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Great progression Caerphilly as per the above tables show and you can’t fault what Paul Warne has done and Mr Clowes for employing him to do the job he’s doing. I’m still not his greatest fan and don’t see him being the man to take us forward next year, but and a big but, I have to bow down and say he’s proved me wrong and looks like he’s going to take us up 👏 good luck to you Paul 🙏

By no means am I saying it’s a foregone conclusion we go up, I suspect there’s still plenty of twists and turns to come over the next few weeks. I have just enjoyed seeing that comparison of where we are this season versus the same date/number of games last year and am hopeful it’s an indication of the progress made (relative to the quality of the league).

What happens next season is a worry that can wait for now. I’m just going to enjoy the ride of the next few weeks. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

By no means am I saying it’s a foregone conclusion we go up, I suspect there’s still plenty of twists and turns to come over the next few weeks. I have just enjoyed seeing that comparison of where we are this season versus the same date/number of games last year and am hopeful it’s an indication of the progress made (relative to the quality of the league).

What happens next season is a worry that can wait for now. I’m just going to enjoy the ride of the next few weeks. 

Too right, next season is not on the agenda yet, get promoted then worry about that! Regards going up, I’ve never felt so confident as now, it’s not just today’s result (of which we didn’t play very well and rode our luck) it’s more the togetherness of the team and how they are fighting and pulling together, today the players new it wasn’t there best performance, but no way were they going to concede a goal. I think it’s this togetherness that’s going to get us over the line, who really cares how well we play at this stage of the season, just win games!!

45 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

are you trying to show how much easier the league is this year?

Nice try but no cigar ,,,nothing could have given me greater pleasure than todays result and the stadium belting out Paul warnes derby army at the top of they’re lung ,,,,,,, not even you making a complete fool of yourself for the whole forum to see and laugh at 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Even if that is the case, Warne has us in the automatic promotion places with 7 games to go, having won plenty of games, scored plenty of goals, and conceded less than a number of the other teams in the top 7.

Soooooo relative to the difficulty of the league this season, the team is doing well…. Don’t you think? 

Unreal that your only post so far today, on the back of a vital win against a promotion rival, is to scoff at the suggestion we might be doing ok. 😆 

Didn't mean anything by it, just simply asking your opinion on the league.

my opinion is warne is achieving the minimum requirement/expectation with this squad of players in terms of league position.

Regardless of that, would you not agree the league is easier compared to last season?

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

my opinion is warne is achieving the minimum requirement/expectation with this squad of players in terms of league position.

Regardless of that, would you not agree the league is easier compared to last season?

I actually don’t agree. I think without 3 standout teams outplaying the majority of the rest of the league it’s actually proving to be a more competitive league this season, sides are more closely matched at the top end of the table illustrated by the smaller gap between the sides. Last season it was almost always between 3 sides for automatic promotion, this season it’s been less clear with us, Barnsley, Bolton, Posh, Portsmouth and Oxford all competing at various points. 

I’ve never signed up to this idea that the league is somehow “easier”, it is what it is, 24 teams competing for points across a 46 game season and relative to that we’re currently the second placed side.

12 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Not having a good day? Never mind I think everyone else is.

I came down for one of my rare 400 mile return trips. Nerve wracking,  Bolton are a good team but we defended brilliantly. 

I’ve been watching the Rams for 60 years. What a great result even if it was tough going. So every Rams fan would love it….? Not the bloke in front of me who “can’t wait to get Warne out of the Club”. I suspect he was disappointed that we won as it didn’t suit his agenda. I have a word that describes him and others like him. I’ll leave it to you all to decide what it is😄

Well done to all players and management for finding a way to continue to pick up points and keeping us in the mix👏

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I actually don’t agree. I think without 3 standout teams outplaying the majority of the rest of the league it’s actually proving to be a more competitive league this season, sides are more closely matched at the top end of the table illustrated by the smaller gap between the sides. Last season it was almost always between 3 sides for automatic promotion, this season it’s been less clear with us, Barnsley, Bolton, Posh, Portsmouth and Oxford all competing at various points. 

I’ve never signed up to this idea that the league is somehow “easier”, it is what it is, 24 teams competing for points across a 46 game season and relative to that we’re currently the second placed side.

The only time a league is “easy” is when there are 2 runaway leaders and you are one of them. That has not happened this year. Only 1 in Pompey. 

This league isn’t easy, it’s highly competitive. Until yesterday there were 5 teams in with a chance of the automatics and probably 9 or 10 with hopes of the play offs. 

On 13/03/2024 at 12:59, Inverurie Ram said:

The Bucks Fizz Kids on here could!!

Reds, Blues, Greens, Yellow tops, skirts and chino’s all over the shop! 😂

Up The Rams 🐏

I used to sell steel tubes that ended up in the offshore oil industry and heard a tale that some Oil Company paid for Bucks Fizz to do a gig on a rig. They got stuck in a storm and had to stay on the rig. After they left some enterprising lad auction the sheets that the girls had slept in 🤣

11 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Do you actually have anything meaningful to back your last paragraph up.

You do realise that 75% of the teams are the same as last season?

So really you need to compare who went up and down last season, unless you have evidence that teams that were in the division last season have got worse?

Personally, I'd say some have got better and some worse, so the league is pretty much the same standard as last season.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Do you actually have anything meaningful to back your last paragraph up.

You do realise that 75% of the teams are the same as last season?

So really you need to compare who went up and down last season, unless you have evidence that teams that were in the division last season have got worse?

Personally, I'd say some have got better and some worse, so the league is pretty much the same standard as last season.

I’d say it’s easier this year in the sense of we’ve had time to appoint a manager and recruit accordingly. Also easier in the sense than last years top 3 are better than anything in League 1 this season IMO. So easier to achieve our goal of promotion.

But this season is hard as we’re playing what’s in front of us which in this case is 4 others teams of equal strength. So if we go up then we definitely deserve it.

The above said, I do think this season is a good opportunity to go up as I think next years league 1 will be a pit of vipers.

But providing we do go up and with the restrictions off there’s nothing to suggest that next year should be all doom and gloom just because we aren’t as strong as Plymouth were last season. 

28 minutes ago, jono said:

I used to sell steel tubes that ended up in the offshore oil industry and heard a tale that some Oil Company paid for Bucks Fizz to do a gig on a rig. They got stuck in a storm and had to stay on the rig. After they left some enterprising lad auction the sheets that the girls had slept in 🤣

Is that really true or are you in the land of make believe again @jono? 😉

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I’d say it’s easier this year in the sense of we’ve had time to appoint a manager and recruit accordingly. Also easier in the sense than last years top 3 are better than anything in League 1 this season IMO. So easier to achieve our goal of promotion.

But this season is hard as we’re playing what’s in front of us which in this case is 4 others teams of equal strength. So if we go up then we definitely deserve it.

The above said, I do think this season is a good opportunity to go up as I think next years league 1 will be a pit of vipers.

But providing we do go up and with the restrictions off there’s nothing to suggest that next year should be all doom and gloom just because we aren’t as strong as Plymouth were last season. 

Conversely though, haven’t teams like Pompey and Bolton (and to a lesser extent Barnsley and Posh) had a chance to strengthen and build on their achievements last season and therefore pose more of a challenge?

whoever goes up, unless they have cheated or had massively more than “their fair share” of dodgy referee decision, deserves to go up.

Fair point.

But my main issue is that nobody this season is as good as Plymouth or Ipswich last season. Over a 1 match play off I’d say all 5 teams this season could’ve got a result against Wednesday but we’re all not better than they were. 

Our aim is promotion so if 2 of the 3 slots are already taken then it’s harder to achieve our goals than this season when we’re one of the five better teams. With nothing really between us.

I agree a promotion is a promotion and praise should be given accordingly. But also think it’s not ridiculous to acknowledge that this season is a good one to take advantage of.

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

The fact that the top 3 haven't ran away with surely makes it a more competitive division?

I think it’s pretty clear PW has built a fantastic culture and team spirit at the club.  All of the players and staff are united and fighting to get us promoted. This is testament to his man-management skills.  I seem to remember an interview with Ritchie Barker (?) not long after they joined compliment PW’s leadership and how they’d walk through a brick wall for him.  I think he has that with players.

In the past I’ve been critical of how he uses the subs but in the last few weeks he’s been spot on with these.  He also seems to be managing the squad well.  Some Rotherham fans talked about the players tiring at the end of the season.  We’re not really seeing that and he seems to be managing the game time of the squad well and not taking unnecessary risks.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

Back on topic, how did we rate his hat?

I think it went well with a jovial, goalie hugging, joies de vive style, but, i do worry that the onset of spring might spur a dangerous development and tempt Warne into going hatless which would be a disaster in my view.

It's clear that impermiating the hat with CBD oil and lining it with tinfoil to mitigate some of PW's more interesting ideas has been a winning solution, but removing the hat could lead to him rediscovering some of his less effective ideas.

Perhaps a summer hat? some kind of bobble-trucker cap?