Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

1 minute ago, BPV said:

Warne for not the first time this season stating that they actively chose to bypass the midfield. In a game that we were looking to go top of the league against a team 4th from bottom.

Tactically clueless and utterly no faith in your central midfield players

It’s a totally brainless comment from him in my opinion. Why would you do that unless you accepted that your own midfield was crap !? And if that’s so, then why not look to strengthen that as your priority!?

All the good teams build from a strong midfield - I am seriously wondering about his tactical nous. His one trick/game plan is pass it out wide and cross into the box. It’s frankly pathetic imho. 

Reading deserved to win. We never got going and never looked comfortable. The worst possible night for so many to have an off night.

Reading pressed well, used their pace effectively on the break, and used their athleticism and physicality to force mistakes and win second balls all over. They didn’t look great but they clearly did their homework and knew to stop us from getting into a rhythm.

We need to step things up or otherwise quite frankly our place in the top six will be at risk.

Here’s hoping we see a response on Saturday. It’s much needed.

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I genuinely can't stand this football, I do not enjoy watching this team at all. When we are winning you kind of stomach it but as soon as the form drops off it's full on suicide watch stuff. How can you be that bad as a team? Do they even train together?

Totally agree. I've never hated a manager as much as this t***. An absolute charlatan 

2 minutes ago, Justa said:

Awful game where we couldn’t even do the basics right - more evidence as to why I just do not believe in Paul Warne.

Happy clappers will laugh but even though we are in the top 6 I’m totally unconvinced.

I’m not sure who these so called happy clappers are. I reckon even the most positive folk are of the opinion that being top 6, doesn’t alter the fact that we’re not very convincing even in the games we’re won (possibly bar v Barnsley and Oxford). I’m still Warne in at the moment but he does need to turn us into a team capable of at least looking like a good team. As for not getting the basics right, surely that is on the players?

It’s a shame we can’t afford to sack Warne. Totally clueless. I get some blame has to go towards the players but bringing on a CB and RWB is comical when you need a goal. Our midfield is anonymous. Yes Conor scores the odd screamer, what does Bird do, what does Sibley do, what does Thommo do other than try a bit harder and run around a bit more. It’s horrible 

15 minutes ago, Topram said:

Why are we always so mentally weak? 

This in bucket loads.

It's a trait that winners have, I believe we haven't those types of players, If we all look back on this season we'll see that the teams we beat are poor, When we come up against those that want the ball and fight for it we go missing.

A sad day for those that travelled down expecting something better.

Their goal. A throw in, one turn, one pass and we're wide open on the opposite flank. I'm going to have nightmares about that.

The ref was the worst (in a totally unbiased, equally inept for everyone type way) I've seen in years, and it doesn't even make the top 10 of things to be raging about.

Hope I'm wrong, but unless we can sign a leader in that midfield (and now a striker) in the next week forget top 2. We might limp in top 6, but no way we win the play-offs. We don't have the minerals. Way too often we're soft and easy-osy when we need to dig in.

I'm going out to the garden to scream until my vocal chords rupture.

10 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Hourihane is what he is an ageing but decent enough player who will score a few goals but I don’t see what Bird does apart from the odd bit of nice play he just seems like he doesn’t want to get overly involved doesn’t score but is ok against the weaker teams 

Will never reach the heights Houihane has in his career. Might get back in the championship at best if he bucks his ideas up but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in this league or even league 2 in 3-5 years

Another milestone game, this time to go top, and another bottle job performance. 

It's not just Warne, all the way back to McClaren we've been a haven for the weak minded and inept footballer, and nothing has changed.

We might scrape play offs, but we won't win them.

4 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

The ref was the worst (in a totally unbiased, equally inept for everyone type way) I've seen in years, and it doesn't even make the top 10 of things to be raging about.

Was he the utter nosher we had away at Barnsley last season?

9 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Scared of playing football in L1 against a struggling side, this is a serious low in my time following the club. No dynamics and predictable play. We'd get battered if we went up.

Yep. My biggest concern about going up.

His Rotherham teams were absolutely shambolic in the championship and had nothing to do with their budget. 
I think he’d had done alright 15/20 years ago, but football has dramatically changed since then. Sadly for us, Paul Warne hasn’t 

Dreadful performance. I don’t even know where to start, so won’t bother, but I will say I feel for the fans that went tonight. 

The last few weeks have been rotten to watch, performances have been really bad. Too much emphasis on results, rather than performances have seemingly led us down the wrong path. Standards need to be so much better than they currently are.

I’m still very much concerned that the people currently employed by the club don’t have the necessary skillset to achieve long-term. The recruitment and coaching is miles off where it needs to be, for me. I have no doubt that even if we did get promoted this season, we would be in for a long season next year which is a niggling thought that I can’t shake. 

Obviously nothing I can do to change the decisions the club make so I’ll continue to support (and moan) as it plays out. I hope I’m wrong, honestly, because I want success for Clowes and I’d like Derby to be seen as a relevant football team on the national stage again.