Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Bolton’s right back made a passive aggressive comment to his wife when she bought a 6 pack of Heinz baked beans, despite there clearly being 17 already in the cupboard. This has resulted in a frosty atmosphere all day. Hopefully we can take advantage of this. 

Well, can anyone trump this?

49 minutes ago, Papahet said:

If we aren't in for Dobra being local and his age, position etc then I question the recruitment process altogether. 

Only fit enough for 33 games in all competitions last season, scoring 6 and assisting 3 in the league. He's been more reliably available so far this season (missed just 2 games), but his record isn't good enough to earn a L1 move at this time (6 goals and 1 assist)

12 hours ago, Papahet said:

If we aren't in for Dobra being local and his age, position etc then I question the recruitment process altogether. 

Genuine question, how many times have you seen him play (not just very limited highlights) to make such a critical comment of our recruitment process (assuming we don’t make a bid)? 

Him being local shouldn’t be a factor as to whether we try to sign him and, just because one of our competitors are interested doesn’t mean he would be right for us.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Genuine question, how many times have you seen him play (not just very limited highlights) to make such a critical comment of our recruitment process (assuming we don’t make a bid)? 

Him being local shouldn’t be a factor as to whether we try to sign him and, just because one of our competitors are interested doesn’t mean he would be right for us.

Sorry. Didn't realise I had to watch a player several times before I reserve judgement.

But to answer the question, afew times as I lived in Chez until recently, so saw them a fair bit and he was a standout.

And of course being already in Derbyshire would help, nobody wants the stress of moving, (especially given his age) - You think Mcgoldrick had far to move when he left us?

Nigel Clough is another - Burton, Derby, Sheff, Mansfield..

He's a perfect age. We lack pace, creativity and he's cheap...why not?

Edited by Papahet

9 hours ago, Papahet said:

Sorry. Didn't realise I had to watch a player several times before I reserve judgement.

But to answer the question, afew times as I lived in Chez until recently, so saw them a fair bit and he was a standout.

And of course being already in Derbyshire would help, nobody wants the stress of moving, (especially given his age) - You think Mcgoldrick had far to move when he left us?

Nigel Clough is another - Burton, Derby, Sheff, Mansfield..

He's a perfect age. We lack pace, creativity and he's cheap...why not?

I would have thought it’s obvious that any of us need to have watched a player enough times before we can form such a strong opinion as to call into question our recruitment process if we don’t bid for that player.

Fair enough if you’ve seen him a few times. That’s why I said “genuine question” and didn’t assume you hadn’t seen him play much.

Regarding being local, OK the ideal would be to recruit locally but that should a factor for the player to consider (having said that, he is 22 and not a 17 year old. I would imagine all professional players accept moving home a few times nearly always goes with the job. Dobra has already moved from Suffolk so it’s not as if he’s Derbyshire born and bred) not so much the club. McGoldrick is a whole different situation. As has been discussed many many times, he chose to join (and presumably end his playing career) at the club he supports. We’ll never know but do you think, if he’d still been at Ipswich he’d have rather stayed in Suffolk than take up an opportunity at his boyhood club?