Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

16 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

So you can get fined for not playing a strong team in the EFL cup vs the likes of Sheffield Utd u21s when you are unable to still qualify from group, but you can play a joke team in League One meaning another team can go down?

I guess it depends on how the EFL define “full strength team”. My suspicion is either they don’t have a definition, it’s a bit vague or it just stipulates x number of players that have featured in the match day squad during the season.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I guess it depends on how the EFL define “full strength team”. My suspicion is either they don’t have a definition, it’s a bit vague or it just stipulates x number of players that have featured in the match day squad during the season.

Leeds gone done in 1970 I think for fielding a reserve team against us the week before they had a Fairs Cup game.  We won 4-1. Can’t remember if they were fined or docked points 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Seems they've taken a lot from the U21'S. Pretty shocking really.  You can get away with a couple of knocks ...ahem. You can't just say sod everyone else, i Don't care if we lose by a 10-0 aggregate over two matches. There are integrity rules including those rammed down your neck for Pizza cups. Let's not forget the original fixture was postponed due to two international call ups.  

27 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It should really make no difference to us, our task is simple. If we have to rely on others after losing at home to bottom of the league, then we wouldn’t deserve to go up after all.

I don't agree.  If we lose by 1 and Bolton beat their U21 team by 3 it's unfair.  The competition is play a competitive side for a 46 game season.  That doesn't mean play your star striker but it doesn't mean playing a side with 50 games between them. The players need to be competitive.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I don't agree.  If we lose by 1 and Bolton beat their U21 team by 3 it's unfair.  The competition is play a competitive side for a 46 game season.  That doesn't mean play your star striker but it doesn't mean playing a side with 50 games between them. The players need to be competitive.

Thankfully ours will be, it’s all going to be immaterial come Saturday 🐑 

Have a look at the Cambridge forum ! Want thd efl  to investigate us for fielding weaker team

That is not going to happen. 
Hasn't there been clubs in recent years that have started the season with a bunch of kids (Reading & Derby?). Later in the season their squads were strengthened significantly, but later opponents had no redress for having had to play a team of different strength,.

There may have been a reason for that you dozy bellend. 

The useless EFL have already let this kind of thing go.

On the last day of the 21/22 season, Northampton were ahead of Bristol Rovers on goal difference. Northampton did their job by beating Barrow 3-1. This meant that Bristol Rovers needed to win by 7 against Scunthorpe, the result was 7 nil and Bristol were promoted on goals scored. Already relegated Scunthorpe fielded a team consisting of 7 teenagers including 4 from their u18s and a first year scholar in goal.

I can't find any details of any punishment for Scunthorpe.

If Scunthorpe ever get back in the EFL, they should have points deducted, in my opinion. Poetic justice that they crashed through the National League.

19 minutes ago, ram59 said:

On the last day of the 21/22 season, Northampton were ahead of Bristol Rovers on goal difference. Northampton did their job by beating Barrow 3-1. This meant that Bristol Rovers needed to win by 7 against Scunthorpe, the result was 7 nil and Bristol were promoted on goals scored. Already relegated Scunthorpe fielded a team consisting of 7 teenagers including 4 from their u18s and a first year scholar in goal.

If Scunthorpe ever get back in the EFL, they should have points deducted, in my opinion. Poetic justice that they crashed through the National League.

If Typhoo put the 'T' in Britain, who put the c*** in Scunthorpe?

58 minutes ago, ram59 said:

As an aside, got a friend who’s an Iron fan, they have had some serious off field financial issues, couldn’t pay players, staring down the barrel of losing their ground and a past owner that seemingly made false promises. They have finally stabilised after putting their true fans through the mill. Think they suffered enough.

(Btw on the field a certain J.Butterfield is captain these days)

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Seems they've taken a lot from the U21'S. Pretty shocking really.  You can get away with a couple of knocks ...ahem. You can't just say sod everyone else, i Don't care if we lose by a 10-0 aggregate over two matches. There are integrity rules including those rammed down your neck for Pizza cups. Let's not forget the original fixture was postponed due to two international call ups.  

I took a glance at their forum last night and one poster was suggesting many or most had featured in their match day squads this season - I don’t know how true that is. My eleven year old nephew is in the academy there, I’ll take a look and see if he was playing. 😀

10 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Leeds gone done in 1970 I think for fielding a reserve team against us the week before they had a Fairs Cup game.  We won 4-1. Can’t remember if they were fined or docked points 

Perhaps in the days before the EFL became incompetent and not fit for purpose.