Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think it's less pressure knowing Portsmouth have lost and Bolton not played rather than them both winning and us feeling like we have to win to not lose ground.

What happens after a game is abandoned ? Just a straight replay at another date ? 

Anyway I reckon you’re right Bolton will have games in hand but a lot of pressure on them to get results in a cramped fixture list .. and haven’t they got an FA cup replay too ? 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

What happens after a game is abandoned ? Just a straight replay at another date ? 

Anyway I reckon you’re right Bolton will have games in hand but a lot of pressure on them to get results in a cramped fixture list .. and haven’t they got an FA cup replay too ? 

Yep, and still in trophy. There will be another fixture for this abandonment, was only 17 mins played and no ones fault. May be a different situation if a game was nearly over and the losing teams fans caused the game to be stopped.

'Pompy' have gone from running away with it to effectively being outside the autos with both Bolton and Pboro being ahead of them on a PPG basis.

P'boro are looking a bit like Ipswich from last season atm, I'm hoping that a fixture pile up will slow down Bolton, after this weekend they will have at least 4 more midweek games than we will and that's assuming that they lose their next 2 cup games.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I was on course to win £200 from a 75p accumulator and then I realised I had bet on Portsmouth! 😆

There’s a long way to go in the season and I am sure Portsmouth will bounce back, but I fully expect Bolton, Peterborough, Barnsley and ourselves to be the teams that finish strongly.

We were the strongest teams to not get promoted last season after all and Portsmouth and Oxford, despite being deservedly in the mix, set a surprising and unsustainable pace.

4 minutes ago, ram59 said:

'Pompy' have gone from running away with it to effectively being outside the autos with both Bolton and Pboro being ahead of them on a PPG basis.

P'boro are looking a bit like Ipswich from last season atm, I'm hoping that a fixture pile up will slow down Bolton, after this weekend they will have at least 4 more midweek games than we will and that's assuming that they lose their next 2 cup games.

Crazy to think, if (but if) everyone wins their games in hand, Portsmouth will be down to 4th (and we’ll be in autos if we can beat burton by 2).

and they’ll have Barnsley and Oxford just one point behind them. Stevenage 4 pts behind them. 

good thing is, Stevenage look like they’re getting cut adrift from the top 6 a little bit, so it seems likely the current top 6 will be the top 6 at the end. We’re forming a bit of a peloton. But if anyone’s going to drop out of the top 6, it could be Portsmouth at this rate. 

What was the reasoning behind today's abandonment? 

The players were only off for 20 mins before the unfortunate fan was taken to hospital? Surely they could have safely warmed up again and as distressing as it was for those few people involved, it's going to cause a great deal of inconvenience and cost, at least, for around 20,000 fans. Out of those 20,000 there is a likely hood that someone going to the replayed game will be involved in some kind of trauma, which otherwise would not have happened.

I'm sure that Bolton won't be happy with another mid week fixture to arrange.

7 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The players were only off for 20 mins before the unfortunate fan was taken to hospital? Surely they could have safely warmed up again and as distressing as it was for those few people involved, it's going to cause a great deal of inconvenience and cost, at least, for around 20,000 fans. Out of those 20,000 there is a likely hood that someone going to the replayed game will be involved in some kind of trauma, which otherwise would not have happened.

Perhaps it was uncertain as to the length of time that was going to be needed and or it may not have been just a medical emergency 

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yep, and still in trophy. There will be another fixture for this abandonment, was only 17 mins played and no ones fault. May be a different situation if a game was nearly over and the losing teams fans caused the game to be stopped.

Not necessarily. It could go down as the score at time of abandonment like Blackpool v Huddersfield when Blackpool fans stormed the pitch on 48 minutes

IMG_7499.png

4 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Not necessarily. It could go down as the score at time of abandonment like Blackpool v Huddersfield when Blackpool fans stormed the pitch on 48 minutes

IMG_7499.png

Bolton game was stopped because of an ill fan. Reading game was due to pitch invasion/protest.

33 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Perhaps it was uncertain as to the length of time that was going to be needed and or it may not have been just a medical emergency 

Sky sports news reported that the casualty had left in an ambulance after the match had been delayed only 20 minutes though, not much longer than some VAR decisions, that's why I was asking if a reason had been given.

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

IMG_7499.png

Whether the result (at the time the game is abandoned) stands or the game has to be replayed in full or part is at the discretion of the EFL (rule 34.2). 

Given how little of each game had been completed and the score in each game was 0:0 (I think), I'd be very surprised if both games weren't replayed in full but with Reading receiving a fine and/or having to play the game behind closed doors.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I was thinking the same thing the only reason I could come up with was maybe some of the medical professionals that were needed to be on site for the game to continue left with the casualty.

2 minutes ago, rustylee said:

I was thinking the same thing the only reason I could come up with was maybe some of the medical professionals that were needed to be on site for the game to continue left with the casualty.

My thoughts were they they might not be able to get another ambulance on site quickly enough to resume the game, so abandoning would be the best option rather than keep people waiting. It could've just been a busy Saturday, we know how over stretched the NHS is at times and patients in need would take priority over getting an ambulance to the stadium.

Neither are promotion rivals, but I didn't think it was worth its own thread.

It'll be interesting to see how the EFL deal with the Reading v Port Value abandonment. Reading's official Twitter put out on more than one occasion that they'd risk serious sanctions if the fans didn't leave the pitch, ultimately they didn't and the game was abandoned.

It's relevant for us, because of course we're their next home game. I don't know if there's been any precent set on this sort of thing before, but if they ultimately end up awarding Port Vale the 3 points, then it'll be interesting to see if Reading fans do the same against us, as they'd know they're risking another loss.

I think it's more likely to be a fine and/or points deduction with the game to be replayed at a later date, in which case any who are heading to Reading, I hope you get to see the full game...

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

It'll be interesting to see how the EFL deal with the Reading v Port Value abandonment. Reading's official Twitter put out on more than one occasion that they'd risk serious sanctions if the fans didn't leave the pitch, ultimately they didn't and the game was abandoned.

It's relevant for us, because of course we're their next home game. I don't know if there's been any precent set on this sort of thing before, but if they ultimately end up awarding Port Vale the 3 points, then it'll be interesting to see if Reading fans do the same against us, as they'd know they're risking another loss.

I think it's more likely to be a fine and/or points deduction with the game to be replayed at a later date, in which case any who are heading to Reading, I hope you get to see the full game...

Around 50 of them stayed on the pitch for just over an hour

11 hours ago, Kernow said:

Given they’d only played 16 minutes and the score was 0:0 I think it would be wrong (and unlikely) that the three points should simply be given to Port Vale. That wouldn’t seem fair to me on the clubs that may be battling against Port Vale later in the season.

The ideal outcome for me would be:

Port Vale (and all the supporters who made the trip) are fully reimbursed for their expenses by Reading.

Game replayed (possibly behind closed doors).

Reading deducted a minimum of another 3 points (regardless of the result of the replayed game).

Reading hit with a fine over and above the reimbursement of costs incurred.

49 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Given they’d only played 16 minutes and the score was 0:0 I think it would be wrong (and unlikely) that the three points should simply be given to Port Vale. That wouldn’t seem fair to me on the clubs that may be battling against Port Vale later in the season.

The ideal outcome for me would be:

Port Vale (and all the supporters who made the trip) are fully reimbursed for their expenses by Reading.

Game replayed (possibly behind closed doors).

Reading deducted a minimum of another 3 points (regardless of the result of the replayed game).

Reading hit with a fine over and above the reimbursement of costs incurred.

Good luck with that when they can’t even afford to pay their non playing staff.