Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I say void the game and award the 3 points to Vale.

If it happens at their next game, then void again, and award double that to the opposition.  

#Hail the efl
#etc

If that happens, a few of us should become red dogs and invade the pitch for a few of their games to be called off.

It's a dangerous precedent, closure or partial closure of the ground would be quite effective.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Given they’d only played 16 minutes and the score was 0:0 I think it would be wrong (and unlikely) that the three points should simply be given to Port Vale. That wouldn’t seem fair to me on the clubs that may be battling against Port Vale later in the season.

The ideal outcome for me would be:

Port Vale (and all the supporters who made the trip) are fully reimbursed for their expenses by Reading.

Game replayed (possibly behind closed doors).

Reading deducted a minimum of another 3 points (regardless of the result of the replayed game).

Reading hit with a fine over and above the reimbursement of costs incurred.

I know, but what happens if next time, there's 16 minutes played and it's 0-1 to Derby, or they wait til later in the game when there has been goals? If there are going to be different sanctions depending on the scoreline then it just encourages them to get the games abandoned as early as possible to get their point across.

They want their owners gone, I think any punishment such as fines will just encourage it to happen again as it's hitting the owners. I think the EFL will have to punish the Club in a way that has a negative impact on the team to try and deter the fans, if it continues it just makes the whole ordeal embarrassing for them.

Docking them points and consigning them to relegation is the obvious outcome, if you start gifting the opposition the three points then those who have already played at Reading will feel aggrieved, it's a tough one.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I know, but what happens if next time, there's 16 minutes played and it's 0-1 to Derby, or they wait til later in the game when there has been goals? If there are going to be different sanctions depending on the scoreline then it just encourages them to get the games abandoned as early as possible to get their point across.

They want their owners gone, I think any punishment such as fines will just encourage it to happen again as it's hitting the owners. I think the EFL will have to punish the Club in a way that has a negative impact on the team to try and deter the fans, if it continues it just makes the whole ordeal embarrassing for them.

Docking them points and consigning them to relegation is the obvious outcome, if you start gifting the opposition the three points then those who have already played at Reading will feel aggrieved, it's a tough one.

Thing is EFL have targeted the owner and not the club currently.  It’ll get referred to disciplinary but they’re in a pickle now.  He’s not paying the fines and they want to encourage him to go rather than go down the will they or wont they survive the season worry.  Who would want to buy Reading at the moment?  Nobody in their right mind.  Most likely will be admin and 12 points penalty.  Realistically the abandoned game was outside the control of the club so punishment will be to play behind closed doors which doesn’t help us.  Win win for EFL 😀

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t think the EFL would award points without completing the game unless 1) there was absolutely nothing riding on the result and a reasonable amount of the game had been completed or b) the innocent team were so far in front with very little of the game remaining so that the result was beyond all reasonable doubt.

The Blackpool game referred to earlier in the thread would fall into the first scenario as it was the last game of the season, Blackpool were already relegated and Huddersfield were safe in mid table.

The EFL have the discretion to order the game to be replayed in full or in part. If there was the slightest doubt over the result, they could order that the remainder of the game is played out. 

I think the best sanction against Reading would be a points deduction and a warning that if it happened again, all remaining fixtures would have to be played behind closed doors (or without home fans). 

17 hours ago, inter politics said:

Carlisle will rue their misses then, as Barnsley have won late on.

I see that Barnsley gained points with yet another late controversial goal. A strongly disputed penalty gave them an extra 2 points, added to a further 3 points gained a late challenge on a time wasting keeper resulting in a winning goal and a late equaliser from a cross when the ball had gone out by about 2 foot. Let's hope that their luck runs out soon.