Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I would have taken the 6 points from 9 in these last three games, but I suppose for the majority of supporters who only see the home games, today's performance was a disappointment. 

I think Warne deliberately front-loaded those fixtures by playing his first choice eleven at Wigan, knowing a win there would be the easiest of the three. He then has a bit of a dilemma in whether he changes a winning team and stuck by it on both subsequent occasions, when maybe it was better to twist? Of course, winning breeds confidence and that must have been a factor in his decision. It paid off at Oxford, with good use of substitutions, and might have done today. But I think the tough nature of those fixtures was a factor in our below par level this afternoon. 

One thing that hasn't been covered today, is that if you're going to sacrifice your third midfield player for an extra striker then that front line absolutely has to deliver the goods. Although Peterborough had plenty of the ball in that first half we had some really promising counter attacks (when the ball was played into the forwards by those "poor" midfielders Hourihane and Bird! 😉) but the forwards didn't make the right decisions on the ball and those attacks petered out (pun intended). I thought Mendez-Laing was particularly guilty of that today, he's my fave so I noticed it! Tired minds rather than tired legs after the hectic schedule? Similarly, players laying the ball off when there wasn't a perfect opportunity to shoot. Just not quite sharp enough in their collective decision making.

Despite this, I thought we more or less deserved the draw for our hard work and persistence,  but again tired minds in the defence, a sloppy moment when we switched off at a quick short corner, and two of our most reliable defenders with an almost intuitive understanding going for the same header for their winner.

Disappointed but not down-hearted; we have a run of winnable games coming up, we have the news that Cashin's contract extension has been triggered and Warne himself says he doesn't want anyone to leave.

About his swearing on Radio Derby, I think it must have been edited out of the second playing just before 6pm, as I never heard it. Of course, I might just have missed it like the ref missed all those fouls on TJJ! 

I said straight away on the final whistle at Oxford,  that performance will have taken so much out of us, to attack relentlessly like that for 90 minutes was bound to take its toll.

I think the tactics were right today, we were 30 seconds from keeping our unbeaten run going against probably the hardest team we could have played.

Hopefully our next few games will give us an easier run and we can go on another unbeaten run.

Haven't read all the thread but the last few pages seem pretty realistic and fair.

On the way home we all agreed that aside from the result/last minute, we much preferred watching that game than the Lincoln game.

Really was a great game to watch I felt. Lots of goals, decent spirit, end to end, effort, tackles, chances, saves...

Credit to P'Boro ...they look a team of young athletes. Just over ran our midfield first half especially at times. Even their centre backs were decent on the ball but relatively quick. Looked like an academy team almost.

Cashin was my MoTM but he looked at fault for the goal at the end. Wilson was a real threat at times. Thompson worked his backside off. Collins never stopped,  unbelievable engine today.

Hourihane and Bird looked really pedestrian and out matched at times.  Niambe struggled manfully in a real tough game.

NML looked shattered and lacking in zip. Barkhuizen looks a bit lost at times,  I'm not sure what he brought to us after the first 2mins. Elder was quality and Sibley worked hard but couldn't get into the game going forward, likewise JJ.

No shame in yesterday,  just gutting to throw away all 3 points to them. Good atmosphere,  end to end football. Need to move on quickly.

Thought Peterborough were slightly better ON THE DAY,

poor ref and linesman , yes I clearly saw the handball from the east stand , don’t bother asking if I saw the push because it doesn’t matter , the ref didn’t or he gives a foul on the defender not a penalty so second yellow card minimum , different game then🤷🏻‍♂️, quite a few other incidents that were poor decisions and I do wonder if refs are over compensating in not looking like favouring the bigger club or being influenced by bigger crowds , if not it’s a worry,

that said ,it was a good game to watch and we have beaten them away and lost at home to them ,sit pretty much level given our game in hand 🤷🏻‍♂️,

dust down and on to the next game , we didn’t fall apart , we wernt battered , the game could have gone either way and both teams squandered chances 

Having slept on this, I still think the better side won on the day but who knows what could have happened had there been (in my mind) a rightful sending off for handball.

Wilson was my MOTM, followed by Collins, who I will admit I had never rated but put his heart into it and was willing to track back (unlike others who just stood there when they lost possession).  Cashin had a fantastic 70 minutes but was very lucky to have only been caught out once in what was a very shaky first 20 for him, but thankfully he was supported by an excellent Nelson on what is truly a great CB pairing at this level.

Hourihane and Bird were largely absent and we're torn to shreds by P'boro and Randall in particular. Correct tactical move by Warne here at half time but I don't think we can rely on Sibley and Thompson to fill this need long term.  We have Fornah but reinforcements are needed here and can understand the Savage link.  Sibley was the only midfielder to take the game to Randall and did what Bird/Hourihane should have been all first half.

Mendez-Laing (tired) and Barkuizen didn't seem to understand who was playing where and we had more than a few occasions where space was created by them trying to play in the same hole.  

P'Boro's goalkeeper was on his full league debut and, penalty aside, was visibly lacking in confidence (not just the loss of possession outside the area).  This didn't seem to be recognised by the team.  Edwards and Knight put in a great showing but there was either no wish or no willing to attempt any long range strike.

Ref/lino poor for both sides (objectively, there was a point in the second half when Nyambe could have given away a penalty for manhandling his man, and the most handballs I have ever seen in a game), but overall a fair result.

Need some reinforcements, particularly up front to add quality and depth.  22 games to go and need to avoid burn out here.

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Why are some people too lazy to check for themselves? I know, because they rely on mugs like me😀

I know that was tongue in cheek, but just so you know, I've programmed my Alexa to answer to the name "Tamworth".

Saves typing stuff out. 😁

#"Hey, Tamworth..."

PS:
I ain't got the skills, so "you" still have a girly voice.  It's quite comical, to be fair!  👀

One big concern for me is the man love PW must have for NML, he needs resting, same as last season, which he didn't get then either and he became a shadow of what he was capable of from January onwards, massively contributing to our drop off in form IMO.

1st half he was nowhere to be seen defensively to help Forsyth, allowing them to pull Fozzie out of position and leave a huge gap which was exploited, the 1st goal came from this. 

Both Oxford and yesterday, he didn't appear to have the spark he was showing early season, looks leggy and short on that blistering pace, also poor decision making when he has the ball, is this due to fatigue also? On several occasions choosing the wrong pass or not releasing it at the right time so promising positions petered out.

Was very surprised to see him out 2nd half tbh and not be subbed early when it was apparent he wasn't improving, not for the 1st time in recent weeks also.

Hopefully getting a viable option to replace him/take some load off him in Jan will give PW the nudge to take him out when not performing. 

I thought the atmosphere was a little flat yesterday like a lot of home games this season. The possession stats didn’t help and quick turnovers of possession that go with it. As @CBRammettesaid, seems to be a pattern in recent years; big crowd, disappointing game and quiet. We need the atmosphere for the second half of the season. COYR!

10 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

As per the end of the post I agree that he's replaced players who left with better suited players, what I meant was had be replaced any players who were still here with options who have proven themselves better than a player he had the option to use.

Maybe get some sleep fella 😂

A "comedy" of errors. Starting with the starting XI, maybe? Some of our not so young players looked off the pace and pace was the catalyst in the game. They were quicker just about everywhere. Hourihane and NML being the 2 "worst" IMO with Nat taking the biscuit. He roasts full backs for fun, usually, but I don't think he did his man a single time before his HT substitution. He totally forgot about tracking back too. On half a dozen occasions I was shouting at the screen for him to track his man. The first time led to their first goal, his "man" providing the assist. A totally preventable goal. No surprise that CH and NML were off at HT and Foz was on a yellow and had had a knock to his knee so probably wise to sub him off too.

Their 2nd saw our defence fail to follow the movement of an opponent and he nodded home, totally unmarked. I know I'm old fashioned when it comes to things like strikers hunting in pairs. I also remain old school when it comes to defending corners. A man at the post would have prevented their equaliser.

Their 3rd? How often have we seen us fail to properly clear the ball and pay the price? Nels and Cash got in each other's way, ball only partially cleared, came back in, Jones was stood in an offside position, one of our defenders got his head to it and it fell to Jones who poked it between JWs legs... because our player had purposely made contact with the ball, Jones was no longer deemed offside, in perfect accordance with the current offside Law.

All too often, as has happened quite a lot this season, they had players allowed to make 40 or more yards without a challenge. Get into 'em I say.

The better side on the day won. We get back up, dust ourselves down and we start over again.

Anyone know what the Peterborough players’ celebration was about for the third goal. Really incited the crowd and they definitely seemed like they had a bone to pick. 

Behaving like that has a way of biting you 

Not sure why people on here saw it as a even game,to concede 66% of the ball and 20 chances at home isn't great.

Yes we did have players looking jaded but we have only played as many games as Peterborough have over the period,it was the team i expected Warne to play to be fair but as backfired,this now puts pressure on the game at Fleetwood were i think he has to rotate

I thought they were the best side i have seen at pride park for a while and to say they had a untried goalkeeper and one nil down in less than a minute speaks volumes,i think it just goes to show this is still going to be very difficult to get of this division again this time round

Lets see were we are come end of January will we get reinforcements and will we lose any of our squad,for me this month is massive

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

I thought the atmosphere was a little flat yesterday like a lot of home games this season. The possession stats didn’t help and quick turnovers of possession that go with it. As @CBRammettesaid, seems to be a pattern in recent years; big crowd, disappointing game and quiet. We need the atmosphere for the second half of the season. COYR!

Being out footballed tends to do that and for me Peterborough played in a way that I want to see Derby play - getting promoted is paramount for us but you can see what would happen to us against footballing sides if we achieve promotion and continued as we are.

13 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

This is certainly an important part of our development if we're going to improve on holding onto leads. Every player back and hoof to the opposition so they can come at us time and time again is rudimentary. In the end today Peterborough threw so many players forward because they knew what our "strategy" was that they were ripe for the counter attack if we had the courage to leave one or two players forward.

this is the problem,when we camp in our own box,we dont have the pace to break,highlighted twice today whith barks and birds breaks,their defenders were quicker than our forwards ,so the breaks came to nothing.having collins defending set pieces takes him out of any break away,leave at least him, preferably another,would take at least four players out of a congested area,and give us more options to break out of defence

25 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

this is the problem,when we camp in our own box,we dont have the pace to break,highlighted twice today whith barks and birds breaks,their defenders were quicker than our forwards ,so the breaks came to nothing.having collins defending set pieces takes him out of any break away,leave at least him, preferably another,would take at least four players out of a congested area,and give us more options to break out of defence

Just one of those footballing simple things that are annoying - when opponents have a corner why not leave your 2 weakest defending players out wide on each side on the halfway line as that drags away 3 defenders from our box and we could actually counter attack if they have real pace as well 

11 hours ago, DesertRam said:

They weren't the better team, when we put  4 past them, at their place, so I can live with that

it would have been nice to go 2nd, but it's just a matter of time!

On chances created they were the better team. The score wasn't a reflection of the game. Warne and players said that as well.

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

To be fair ten minutes into the game we were being pummelled in central midfield and immediately needed an extra player in there and I was surprised it took until half time to introduce one 

With Fozzy and Hourihane both on the pitch after all the football we’ve played, we were bound to be pummelled (as you put it). The miracle was Collins’ ability to play so well and to cover so much ground after the recent schedule. It was a massive effort by him